goddesses under the magnifying glass

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
AutumnMaidens

Re: goddesses under the magnifying glass

Post by AutumnMaidens »

Love the morrighan, very strong and overall awesome goddess! Only isn't she a crone?
"If you take a copy of the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain,
soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone.
Our bible IS the wind and the rain."
Black_Tail
Banned Member

Post by Black_Tail »

There are three of them, why couldn't they be a triple goddess? :3
But I'm not really sure what she is. I usually get a maiden/mother vibe from them.
AutumnMaidens

Post by AutumnMaidens »

Well when me and my coven would call on her we would always call her Morrighan crone of war, so i just assumed she would be a crone.

((you think I can spam this thread with another video, there is this lovely video of a pagan gathering here in Holland invoking the Morrighan))
"If you take a copy of the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain,
soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone.
Our bible IS the wind and the rain."
Black_Tail
Banned Member

Post by Black_Tail »

(i don't know. maybe make a new one about the Morrighan and open it up for a discussion on what she might be?)
Victoria Mnemosyne

Post by Victoria Mnemosyne »

I absolutely love Persephone, She is my patron Goddess.

There are many stories about Persephone, many older stories than Homer's tale of rape and abudction and seasons. Old tales of Persephone have her guarded in a cave, weaving the world on a loom. She was guarded by snakes, some sources say sent by her mother to protect her virginity. The sky God (Zeus in Greek) snuck his way in as a snake, and after they copulated she gave birth to Dionysus (possibly a sign that she was later fused with another Goddess, and this is the connection between her status as a Goddess who returns from the Underworld and Dionysus who is a dying god.)

As Kore, her name in virginal youth as a goddess of nature (literally "the Maiden") she is identified with Aphrodite, Astarte, and Inanna. As Persephone, the dark Queen of the Underworld, she is associated with immortality, death and rebirth.
Zili

Post by Zili »

Wow so many to look into now (sorry i wasn't on much for the past two days we are still in the process of getting my friends things, another trip at 10 tonight but she now has a new appartment as of yesterday!) I should really focus right now on my mythology test that is already late due to helping my friend and missing most of class yesterday... but I don't feel like it since I just found out i'm possibly failing my fiction wiritng class because my male teacher is an ass and doesn't understand when 1) a person must work in order to attend school 2) sickness 3) helping friends out of horrible situations for their safety...and i have to take him again this fall so my graduation is now being pushed back by a whole semester :(

My friend Beth who was going to go through goddesses with me well she went to a dnd game instead :(
Black_Tail
Banned Member

Post by Black_Tail »

Oi, I hope things get better. If you want someone to talk to about goddesses, feel free to PM me. ^^
Zili

Post by Zili »

I just feel an emotional break down coming on

Here's a goddess who caught my attention considering my parents keep scaring my boyfriend away from proposing by constantly bringing it up!

http://reclaimingthedarkgoddess.blogspo ... 2/var.html

I'll continue checking out this website of goddesses but i have to go call my mom right now for help with money issues
Black_Tail
Banned Member

Post by Black_Tail »

Huh, sounds interesting. Probably great for wives whose husbands travel often. Lol
I just thout of one, Lilith.
Zili

Post by Zili »

Well things got worse, Things are better for my friend, we have a few more trips in store to get the rest of her things but her ex is leaving each time we come over so we can move in peace. Things are worse for me. I broke down due to the abuse I have suffered my entire life at home... my mother is emotionally abusive and controlling and my father can have a temper...recently has been nothing but my mother's emotional abuse as my father has gotten control over himself in recent years. But I can't take it anymore I fell apart today and I know I have to move out. I can't live being told I'm crap when i dont' help others and being told I'm crap and self centered when I do. Apparently I can only help my mother when she wants the help and no one else.

She has been angry and pissed off that I have been helping my friend out of her situation but I haven't been at home to take care of my school work. I don't see why she's so angry I pay for my school on my own with loans she has never had to sign its all my debt not hers and she already told me time and time again she wasn't going to help me pay them off. She'd be just as upset if I sat back knowing my friend was being abused and did nothing.

Tomorrow we have to talk about my financial situation and my grades and how I'm "not being a part of the family and putting others before the family" and ultimately I will be kicked out or like last time be kicked out for all of an hour before my mother claims it was all away to make me clean my room.

either way I'm moving out even if on the off chance she doesn't kick me out I can't take anymore of it I'm done. My only problem is that I do not have a car or a license and I have to find boxes to pack my things (last time i was kicked out for an hour over helping this very same friend with the very same abusive jerk I started packing my things and packed until i ran out of boxes... it didn't take long so I need more boxes as well But I will be moving in with my boyfriend.

So perhaps Persephone is not the right goddess for me since she returns to her mother and right now I can't stand mine.
Black_Tail
Banned Member

Post by Black_Tail »

I'm sorry things have gotten so bad. I will keep you in my thoughts, if you need anything PM me.

Now, I have some different tid bits and more goddess ideas. I actually have a deck of cards with blurbs on each goddess and I did find a Persephone one. Bare with me, its long but informative. :
"Although Persephone is best known as Demeter's daughter, the maiden abducted by Hades, Lord of the Underworld, the Greek version of her myth reflects the usurpation of female mysteries by a patriarchal mythology. In this version Persephone personifies the kore, the maiden aspect of the goddess. Her myth exemplifies the cycles of nature, for when Persephone is underground, plants do not bloom, and when she returns to earth, spring ensues.
Persephone is the goddess of the soul, for it is in the darkness of the underworld (analogous to the unconscious) that soul is formed. In the Orphic mysteries, Persephone granted wisdom to the initiate, for she is the goddess of a dark, uncomfortable wisdom, a goddess of dark and frightening power. Persephone represents the ability to rule over the aspects of ourselves that are terrifying in the extreme."

more ideas:
The sphinx: ancient moon goddess of death and birth.
Kuan Yin: goddess of infinite mercy and compassion.
Pele: fiery Hawaiian goddess.
Hera
Demeter
Hel: norse queen of the underworld.
Ix Chel: Mayan moon goddess.
Ishtar: babylonian goddess, creator, source of all life and embodiment of the power of nature.

Hope that helps.
Zili

Post by Zili »

Kuan Yin has appeared several times throughout my life I do look to her fondly :)
I also had a thought today as I felt some sprinkles of rain and then it didn't, my favorite weather that always helps me to remain calm is the rainy day (minus the thunder)
magus

Post by magus »

Anyone thought Athena would be a good one?
You know they're all the same
You know you're doing better on your own so don't buy in
Live right now
Just be yourself
It doesn't matter if that's good enough for someone else
~Jimmy Eat World
Black_Tail
Banned Member

Post by Black_Tail »

I'm glad you're feeling better. Keep up with your goddess search. ^^

magus- i think someone did say that somewhere in here.
Ula

Post by Ula »

I know you have been given lots of names but Hlín (pronounced LEAN) is in the Norse pantheon. She is one of Frigga’s handmaidens. She protects those Frigga sends her to and comforts mourners and kisses away their tears. Hlín’s name, which means “protector” or “shelterer". She sounds like the kind ear you need in a goddess right now and Frigga is not to shabby to have in your corner. Apples are great offerings to Norse goddesses.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”