My interests and finding my path

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
Moon Petal

My interests and finding my path

Post by Moon Petal »

I’ve been doing a fair bit of research into different paths and practices, and here’s what I’m interested in.

Aphrodite as my main deity. I want to continue doing monthly rituals to her (also celebrate any important days to her) and regular meditation/prayers, as well as moon rituals, and the occasional spell here and there.

I will possibly want to have Isis as my second deity and do the same kind of things for her but I haven’t completely made up my mind on it yet. I do feel more connected to Aphrodite though.

Does this sound like any specific path?
barker

Re: My interests and finding my path

Post by barker »

Just by reading you I get the strong sense that Aphrodite and Isis will be "divine" in your life. Of course, that makes you knowledgeable. Already. Just being psychic here.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

barker

Post by barker »

Ensuing from this I met Aphrodite, she was nice. She said she's not really that magic-oriented? But she's cool with it anyways... Isis is much more secret. Like me.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

The features that set paths apart are their deities, rituals/calendars & tools as far as I can tell.

So to spot what qualifies as a specific path look at the number of deities, local/regional rites & seasonal celebrations, & tools that are uniquely associated with the region.

A mixed bag based on intuitive preference & mixing regional practices is eclectic witchcraft; rituals are borrowed from many sources, altar layouts vary randomly. Tools are chosen by function. There's no distinction in what materials they are made from.

Wicca combines British folk ways with adapted Masonic ceremonial magic rites & tools, & combines a solar & seasonal agricultural calendar, & lunar. Wicca has 2 deities (that go by 1000 names) & relies on magical polarity to generate energy. Wiccan circle casting ritual combines steps/actions in a specific sequence for known reasons & meanings, both magical & religious. A Wiccan altar uses a polarity layout that is a feature of the path's origins. The tools are made of preferred materials (copper/silver plate, iron/steel, ash/oak). The coven-based, initiatory, 3-tier degree system is a feature of the path. Variations - with understanding of their significance - are acceptable & adding on (but not deleting) rites is encouraged.

This probably comes across as a stuffy attitude but to determine what separates one path from another you have to look at what makes each path unique. It helps to use a strict viewpoint to clarify the differences. Too much blending & adapting makes differences blur. Paths have a common core at their roots. Getting our heads around what is common to all & what is different is often a bit of a mess to sort through.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

As you are drawn to moon energies, you might enjoy making a Witch's Measure that captures the moonlight, & can be a sign of your dedication; to be worn over your clothes at moon rituals & spell workings. Use any crafting twine in color that's moon-related (silver, gray & white, red-white-black). Braid together to make a cord as long as you are tall, measuring from the bridge of the nose, over the crown & down the back to the heel. To capture the moon into a knot, make a loop & gaze thru the hole at the moon as you pull the loop closed. First make starting & ending knots at opposite ends to keep the energy from running out. Then measure around the head, chest & hip & make a knot o separate each section; & as each knot is tied you could say 1 line for each of the 3 knots:

With knot one, I've begun
With knot two, my heart is true
With knot three, I pledge to thee, Aphrodite

The Witch's Measure is a fairly common tool used to capture & hold energy. The moon-measure captures the Moon's energy essence within the loops & you wrap yourself in moonlight whenever it's worn. It holds your personal energy signature so should be safely stored when not worn.
Moon Petal

Post by Moon Petal »

That sounds really cool but I’m not all that crafty.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

It sounds like you have forged your path among Hellenism?
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Siona

Post by Siona »

I second the suggestion of looking into Hellenism. You might also look into broader Greco-Roman polytheism, or Alexandrian polytheism. But Hellenic polytheism would be a good starting place. You seem primarily focused on worship of deity, which fits in, the Hellenic calendar is lunar based, which might work well for you, and Hellenic polytheists certainly believed in, and some practiced folk magic and the like. Isis was Egyptian, but was also known in Greece and Rome, so that would not conflict with the idea of Hellenism.
Moon Petal

Post by Moon Petal »

Yeah, I’ve read a few articles on Hellenic polytheism. Are there any books you would recommend?
Siona

Post by Siona »

Moon Petal wrote:Yeah, I’ve read a few articles on Hellenic polytheism. Are there any books you would recommend?
Hellenic Polytheism : Household Worship, put out by Labrys
Kharis: Hellenic Polytheism Explored, as well as Komos: Celebrating Festivals in Contemporary Hellenic Polytheism, both Sarah Kate Istra Winter
Hellenic Polytheism: A Personal Guide for Ancient Greek Practitioners, by Chris Aldridge

On the more scholarly side of things, but still very helpful...
Greek Religion, Walter Burkert
Greek Folk Religion, Martin P. Nilsson
Festivals of the Athenians, H. W. Parke

And online you should be able to find things like...
Theogony and Works and Days, Hesiod
The Delphic Maxims
The Orphic Hymns
The Homeric Hymns
(But I would suggest buying or seeing if your library carries the Orphic hymns translated by Apostolos N. Athanassakis, the second edition. The translation is more accurate, giving you a better picture of the hymns as a whole.)

https://www.theoi.com/ has a lot of that information, and a lot of info on deities.
http://baringtheaegis.blogspot.com/ is a helpful blog.
Moon Petal

Post by Moon Petal »

@Siona, thanks for all the info! The more I read about Hellenism, the more I feel it fits me. I’ve also found a really cool podcast called Tea With The Gods.
Moon Petal

Post by Moon Petal »

Hello again! I’d like to give an update on things. I’m very happy with Aphrodite. She is wonderful! But after a lot of research I don’t feel connected to Hellenism as a whole. I still feel very drawn to Kemetism. I don’t feel a desire to worship any Egyptian deities though. Could I still incorporate Kemetism into my practice? How do I go about doing that? Can I use Egyptian prayer beads along with my Aphrodite beads?

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”