Herbs to grow?

Love to garden? Me too! Garden talk and photos goes here: Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, organic gardening, natural pest control, houseplants, more.
Blu-Luna

Herbs to grow?

Post by Blu-Luna »

Hi, I live in Nebraska and was wondering if anyone knows what are some herbs to grow for healing. I am a life long plant lover and gardener and would love to grow more herbs for next year and am going to order some seeds soon! Thanks so much!!!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Herbs to grow?

Post by Firebird »

I would start with some basics like lavender, rosemary, sage of some kind, lemon balm, thyme, mints.
I'm not familiar with the region you live in but these should be available. Your nurseryman will also know what will live and what won't. Most Nurseries won't sell something that won't grow where you live because of the return rate. And if it won't grow no one will buy it!
by the way I'm moving your other post that was duplicate.
BB, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Pot marigold isn't finicky about soil fertility or pH, it can be grown easily from seeds. The scent isn't anything great but the orange flowers are cheerful, edible &'useful as a poultice to relieve sunburn, clear acne, as antiseptic on cuts, to stop bleeding & reduce inflammation around cuts. Many skin ointments contain pot marigold extract. A tea made of the flowers relieves digestive problems.
Blu-Luna

Post by Blu-Luna »

Thanks so much for the info! Sorry I posted twice, I didn't think my first one got posted!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

That's ok, it happens.
By the way the pot marigold Spirit talker is referring to goes by the botanical name Calendula https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendula_officinalis a Super good herb for skin issues, and the petals are edible but do not confuse it with Tagetes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagetes which is also a really cool plant for other reasons, it can be a great companion plant and heals the soil of pests and nematodes. Really pretty on the Samhain altar too!
BB, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Blu-Luna

Post by Blu-Luna »

Thanks so much for the great tips! I always meant to grow calendula, now I got good a reason to! Lots of great ideas, thanks!

Return to “Gardening”