Need advice on Poppets

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
masterfu678

Need advice on Poppets

Post by masterfu678 »

I actually had something else in mind for the poppets. I know that usually people make them with only one person in mind, I want the poppets to be a general representation of anyone I put a picture on it. The color will be red, pink, and white. I know people's fear toward it, indeed, this is a very powerful magickal tool, and with this great power, comes with great responsibility.

For the pictures I have the HP Sprocket, a miniature photo printer that uses no ink and the paper has a sticky side to it.

For the red one, I am going to make it to have the blessings of Aphrodite, along with many different herbal mixtures sealed inside. Represents anyone that I wish to love me.

For the pink one, I am going to make it to have the blessings of friendship, it also has many herbal mixtures sealed inside, same with the red one but for friendship and possibly evolving into casual relationships such as "friends with benefits".

For the white one, it will be used as a general cleansing and healing poppet, anyone's picture I put on it will be the one that I am cleansing and healing.

If you guys want a more detailed explanation, just PM me. But for this post, please give me some general advice about making poppets and stuff, my poppets haven't been sewn together yet, and I am waiting for the herbs to arrive. Once I do have everything though, I am finishing them all up.
masterfu678

Re: Need advice on Poppets

Post by masterfu678 »

sevensons wrote:Sounds like a good project for a must have herb I would suggest Oregano.
What magickal property does this herb have poppet wise?

also, I'm buying the herbs as pre-made mixtures for an intended purpose from an online occult shop, the owner may or may not already includes the oregano, don't know.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

I like your idea, masterfu678, as I'm all about "repurposing." So, I love the idea of using the same poppet but switching out the pics of the targets. smiley_dance The healing-themed poppet might also be of a green color, as many associate that color with healing. But, you can't miss with white, either. I tend to think of white as more of a "blessing" theme than healing, but that's just me. By blessing I might mean positive things to happen to the individual from a number of different directions, not just one, what some might shrug off as synchronistic "good timing," as it were.

But yeah, as much as I love your idea in theory, in practice this probably wouldn't work for me, since in my path, things are done with the poppet. It is not a stationery object. As part of the spell, depending on the result desired, the poppet will "end up" somewhere, like under the ground, or eaten by ants (a baked poppet), or spinning from a ceiling fan (lol), etc. So, a poppet probably wouldn't be something I'd repurpose, but make new for each working.

The point, though, is the originality of your approach, and I hope your idea inspires people to personalize their work, and make it work for them. I think this is a more powerful and effective magical approach, than always following things to the letter. It's like cooking: the first pass, you follow a new recipe exactly as it's written, but the next time you cook it, you add and subtract to and from the recipe as you will, thereby making it your own.

And I think "as you will" always serves as the tastiest secret ingredient, both in cooking ...and in magic. :wink:

masterfu678

Post by masterfu678 »

Kassandra wrote:.

I like your idea, masterfu678, as I'm all about "repurposing." So, I love the idea of using the same poppet but switching out the pics of the targets. smiley_dance The healing-themed poppet might also be of a green color, as many associate that color with healing. But, you can't miss with white, either. I tend to think of white as more of a "blessing" theme than healing, but that's just me. By blessing I might mean positive things to happen to the individual from a number of different directions, not just one, what some might shrug off as synchronistic "good timing," as it were.

But yeah, as much as I love your idea in theory, in practice this probably wouldn't work for me, since in my path, things are done with the poppet. It is not a stationery object. As part of the spell, depending on the result desired, the poppet will "end up" somewhere, like under the ground, or eaten by ants (a baked poppet), or spinning from a ceiling fan (lol), etc. So, a poppet probably wouldn't be something I'd repurpose, but make new for each working.

The point, though, is the originality of your approach, and I hope your idea inspires people to personalize their work, and make it work for them. I think this is a more powerful and effective magical approach, than always following things to the letter. It's like cooking: the first pass, you follow a new recipe exactly as it's written, but the next time you cook it, you add and subtract to and from the recipe as you will, thereby making it your own.

And I think "as you will" always serves as the tastiest secret ingredient, both in cooking ...and in magic. :wink:

Thank you for the positive response. Yea, I know that white is a neutral color, so it can be any color really.

Recently, I made an enemy over our different beliefs in Astrology. I was going to curse him in a fit of rage, but I decided not to and instead want to help him to achieve his potential as an Astrologer. He is really hated in the Astrological community, pissed off a lot of Youtube Astrologers, and they are already banding together to go up against him. As part of me like to see him deal with his own actions and burn in his own fire pit of hatred and envy, part of me wants to help him fight against that and become a better person. This is what the white poppet are mainly for.

For the Red and Pink poppets, it may look like I am repurposing them, I am really just switching targets with the same purpose, red for love, and pink for friendship and maybe casual love.

Also, you are correct, magic is what we makes of it. I haven't done anything magick related for about 4 years, just don't have the space and tools to do so. Now I felt like I should let my witchy side out to play once again. I used to follow spells I find online and only make minor modifications, but now I feel that I should just make up my own spell based on what is already known.

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”