Witches and Video Games!

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
Oura Simone

Witches and Video Games!

Post by Oura Simone »

http://kotaku.com/the-game-developers-w ... 1793122508

What are your thoughts on this article? I thought the part where they mention Marilyn Manson was a bit condescending... but maybe also not completely untrue. Otherwise, I really liked this article. I will definitely check out some of the creators and their work.

And more generally speaking, any gamers around here? What are your favourite games and why?
TwilightDancer

Re: Witches and Video Games!

Post by TwilightDancer »

Interesting article.

I game. Right now I'm only playing Path of Exile and League of Legends. I really enjoyed the Fable series, particularly the third game. My favorite games are the Elder Scrolls games. I've logged an embarrassing amount of time into Skyrim... Even got myself the imperial dragon tattooed on the back of my neck.

I really enjoy games like the Elder scrolls and Fable games because they allow you to explore the in game universe no strings attached. Bethesda always does an amazing job of creating beautiful graphics and an incredible view.
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
Raevyn

Post by Raevyn »

Very interesting! I'm a fellow witch, gamer and environmental science uni student.
I play a broad range of games, from The elder scrolls online (NA), to skyrim, fallout 4, The sims 3,4 to minecraft (I love the witchery and thaumcraft and botania mods), as well as The Witcher 2,3 and many more.

Most of the games I play have 'magical' aspects or witchcraft themes which I love!
Raevyn

Post by Raevyn »

TwilightDancer wrote:
I really enjoy games like the Elder scrolls and Fable games because they allow you to explore the in game universe no strings attached. Bethesda always does an amazing job of creating beautiful graphics and an incredible view.
I agree! I'm a huge fan of Bethesda games, mainly ESO, skyrim & fallout 4. I love how beautiful the environment is, it's so real it gives you a sense of being outside and in nature while being inside & surrounded by buildings and commercial properties.

This is the reason I play a lot of games. Personal circumstance, location an time constraints makes it difficult for me to get outside in nature, particularly in the CBD area. So playing games like ESO and the witcher 3, etc I can get a sense of being outside and within nature while being inside and constrained.
Oura Simone

Post by Oura Simone »

My favourite game genere is fantasy RPGs. Some of my favourite games of all time are Zelda: Link to the Past, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, The Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Diablo 2, and Baldur's Gate 2.

I've played my share of Skyrim, but that game actually didn't work for me. Yeah, the open world is gorgeous. Throughout my playthrough, I rarely ever used fast-travel, because I just had so much fun running through that world. But I found the writing shallow and the various characters boring. At one point I just stopped, and never looked back.

Perhaps my favourite game of all times is Dark Souls. I usually look at video games as pulpy entertainment (and there's nothing wrong with pulpy entertainment!) But Dark Souls is a game that I find is truly a work of art. It just has that certain something... playing that game is almost like reading poetry to me. If reading poetry involved occasional frustrated rage-attacks :)

It's a very mystical game, too, I think. Although, the depiction of witches specifically is maybe not so great. The character of Chaos-Witch Queelag is a sexist cliché in a game that mostly manages to avoid that sort of thing. Dark Sun Gwyndolin is a somewhat more nuanced character, although she doesn't technically identify as a witch, I believe.

Some of my favourite non-fantasy games are XCom 2, Sim City 2000, and the original Fallout.
Raevyn

Post by Raevyn »

Oura Simone wrote:
Perhaps my favourite game of all times is Dark Souls. I usually look at video games as pulpy entertainment (and there's nothing wrong with pulpy entertainment!) But Dark Souls is a game that I find is truly a work of art. It just has that certain something... playing that game is almost like reading poetry to me. If reading poetry involved occasional frustrated rage-attacks :)
I've heard of dark souls but I've never played it. Heard it's very hard. What do you think of it in terms of game play and aesthetics?

Right now I'm currently on a Sims 4 binge after buying the new vampires pack.
Oura Simone

Post by Oura Simone »

Dark Souls is hard, at least compared to, say, Skyrim. But I find that the difficulty is part of the games appeal. The gameplay experience is quite intense, you have to move very thoughtfully through that world. And if you finally overcome an obstacle after trying and failing many times, it feels like such an accomplishment.

In terms of aesthetics, I think Dark Souls is one of the finest. It's not that the graphics themselves are all that impressive, especially since the game's already a few years old. But everything in the game is very thoughtfully and artfully designed. The voice acting is also superb, and the whole atmosphere is very melancholic and beautiful.

Ok, I'll stop gushing now :)

I recently played Hyper Light Drifter for a while. Speaking of gorgeous and difficult games! This one was, in fact, a bit too difficult for me. I'm putting it aside for now, I will return to it when I have time to game more regularly. Once or twice a week is just not enough to really "get into" such a hard game.
CleverlyDisguised

Post by CleverlyDisguised »

My girlfriend is trying Fallout 4
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

Silah wrote: This is the reason I play a lot of games. Personal circumstance, location an time constraints makes it difficult for me to get outside in nature, particularly in the CBD area. So playing games like ESO and the witcher 3, etc I can get a sense of being outside and within nature while being inside and constrained.

I can relate to that completely. Years of confined apartment living had me spending many many hours gaming. Now that I have a house with my own space to garden and actually enjoy nature I find I'm spending much less time gaming. I still enjoy it, just not constantly like I was before.
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
Oura Simone

Post by Oura Simone »

[edit: Ooops, just realised that I'm not supposed to discuss demons here. Honest mistake, sorry!]
Newbiewitch94
Banned Member

Post by Newbiewitch94 »

I love gaming and tbh the Marilyn Manson comment doesn't bother me as I am a fan of MM and slipknot. I love games like kingdom hearts final fantasy ratchet and clank DMC dead space.

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”