The Green Fairy, Absinthe

Potions go here. Keep it nice please. No poisons.
corvidus

The Green Fairy, Absinthe

Post by corvidus »

Hi everyone!

My first experience with Absinthe was at my good friend's bachelor's party a few years ago.

Traditional Absinthe includes Wormwood, Green Anise and Fennel as a base, and is flavored and aromatized with various other herbs (calamus, mint, lemon balm, etc).

My question is for all of you who have good relationships with the Fairy Folk. I'm looking for some different and more magical recipes/formulas to read about when it comes to flavoring and aromatizing. If any of you witches out there would like to ask on my behalf, it'd be much appreciated. I'd also be equally appreciative if you invite their influence my way for this particular venture.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Green Fairy, Absinthe

Post by Firebird »

I'll be on the lookout!
I would love to see how this process goes. I'm a great fan of the green drink, it's glows in the blacklight!, fun for the coming Hallows!
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

firebirdflys wrote:I'll be on the lookout!
I would love to see how this process goes.
Then I'll be sure to let you know!
T'a Nuk

Post by T'a Nuk »

A friend of mine was stationed in Germany for some time where absinthe is plentiful. I do not know if it is true or not, but he told me that the absinthe available in Europe, which is the traditional recipe, is not available in the States, and is actually illegal. If you can actually produce some, you have a customer.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

That was true a whole ago, T'a Nuk, but the law has since been changed. Genuine absinthe is legal now in the states after 'science' verified it has no psychoactive chemicals and the levels of thujone from the wormwood are negligible.

But that doesn't mean the right combination of herbs doesn't influence an interesting state of mind ;)

However, most low-end absinthe is dyed and fortified with essential oils, rather than made through distillation and maceration with the herbs themselves.

But I'd be happy to share the fruits of my labor!
T'a Nuk

Post by T'a Nuk »

Very nice! I wish you all the good fortune in this endeavor and am very interested in the process.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Thanks!

So I've been researching more (mercury is in retrograde at the moment...) and considering things from a more 'occult' perspective.

Absinthe is a favorite of painters, writers and authors. All of these skills fall under Neptune, Venus and Mercury.

Absinthe is not hallucinogenic, but it does have that reputation for some reason. Perhaps it opens the connection with the subconscious, via the Moon.

Maybe it's only when la Fee Verte comes to visit...
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I believe it is the thujone in combo with the alcohol and perhaps the right combo if other herbs.
For some reason I feel it needs a peppery additive but I don't know what would work.
I also wonder if you have this sage growing nearby http://www.tulipsinthewoods.com/wild-pl ... ridentata/
I suspect native peoples in the high deserts saw their version if the fay via this plant.
Bb, Firebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Haha tridentata sagebrush is every where up here!

I was actually thinking about the thujone earlier. I know that in Ayahuasca brews, the active DMT is bound by monoamine inhibitors and inactive. It takes another plant to "unlock" the DMT amd make it digestible and active.

Right now I'm considering the same approach, especially after reading an article written by an experience absinthe drinker promoting genuine absinthe as having a specific and certain effect of consciousness.

BUT obviously this is all theoretical. I have no idea how thujone is supposed to work, and all the 'science' behind it says in this small of an amount (in a glass or two of absinthe) there is no effect from it. But science just tries to prove facts, not perspective. lol

It's also curious that the three-pronged sagebrush is in the Artemisia genus as well as Wormwood.

And I agree, a peppery/spicy/active principle to play with the cool/passive/licorice principle of fennel and anise would be quite interesting.

Much research ahead and only about a week left for mercury to come out of retrograde! Thanks for the info and ideas! ;)
Yex

Post by Yex »

I feel like ginger might be good for the spicy component - not only flavorwise, but as a safety measure to prevent vomiting from drinking too much high proof alcohol! :wink2:
love is the whole and more than all
Katrinkah

Post by Katrinkah »

Maybe salvia divinorum or "seers sage" could help bring out a more spiritual experience when drinking it?
Yex

Post by Yex »

Salvia divinorum generally doesn't make you trip when consumed as an infusion; you have to chew the leaves or smoke am extraction.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Hmm, ginger is a bit bitter as well, I think.
Yex wrote:Salvia divinorum generally doesn't make you trip when consumed as an infusion; you have to chew the leaves or smoke am extraction.
Chewing it, yes. That is the traditional way. But, a friend of mine says setting S.D. on fire causes too much of a harshness and can be insulting to the spirit of the plant if not done properly. He has had very good results with a few drips of a tincture he's prepared with wine spirits. Instead of the intense 5-10 minute experience, the tincture makes for a mellow 30 minute or so experience. Apparently much more like chewing it.

But, I want to try out a traditional Absinthe first, which relies heavily on Wormwood and Green Anise. So no Diviner's Sage for now :(

I want to be able to serve it to people who aren't so inclined to psychedelics.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

corvidus wrote:I was actually thinking about the thujone earlier. I know that in Ayahuasca brews, the active DMT is bound by monoamine inhibitors and inactive. It takes another plant to "unlock" the DMT amd make it digestible and active.
exactly! I also think the combo of many of our favorite autumnal spices bring on the warmpth and good will, promoting a mild euphoria.
...ie:the pumpkin spice everything! In fact I was thinking many of those herbs might work well too. Yes, yes Yex! ginger may be one of the hotish herbs that would work, and one of the ingredients in pumpkin spice!
Pumpkin spice absinthe!
Oh and Corvidus, I figured the a. tridentata was in your area, since it is an artimesia also I wonder if the a. absinthium and it would enhance each other? I'm not sure of the ingestability of a. tridentata but I'll go look .....
Hummm, can't find my I.D. cards right now, I'll have to get back to you on that.
Bb, Firebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
Yex

Post by Yex »

corvidus wrote:a friend of mine says setting it on fire causes too much of a harshness amd can be insulting to the spirit of the plant if not done properly.
This is 100% true. The Mazatecs shamans who traditionally use salvia d. (or ska Maria pastora, as they call her) believe that lighting it on fire is extremely disrespectful. Not only that, but smoking the plain leaf won't give you a psychedelic experience, only a minor buzz. To get off fully from smoking it, you have to use highly concentrated extractions, which are then applied back on leaf and smoked. It's basically a big "f*** you' to nature, trying to force the plant to be smokable, and she responds in kind - smoking the extracts give you an extremely chaotic and unpleasant trip.
very good results with a few drips of a tincture he's prepared
I think that even with a tincture you have to hold it under your tongue (sublingual administration) vs just swallowing it (oral administration). I don't know though, as I've only ever smoked it in the manner described above (I was younger and more reckless).

Return to “Potions”