First time wire wrapping

Share photos or links to your arts and crafts here. Jewelry, paintings, crafts, graphic art.
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

First time wire wrapping

Post by RosieMoonflower »

I felt like getting creative tonight so I decided to learn wire wrapping. Don't laugh, it's my first time. I think they are cute, lol. I didn't understand how to make to loops at the top so I just made ones however I could. They aren't perfect but it was fun!

This was the first one so it's all wire. Lots of learning occurred doing this one.. It's shaped kind of like Arkansas, where in from.

Then I did this little piece of coral. I remembered I had some beads so I used one since it was pretty plain. Again, not perfect but this one is my favorite.

And then this there's little number.. Lol, I didn't have enough wire for a loop at the top so I just sort of smashed it down, lol. I think it could make a nice ear ring. I could see myself wearing it while reading tarot cards or something like that.

Anyways, it was fun practicing and I'm planning to finish these by turning the first two into necklaces and the last into an ear ring. I have a lot of beads. I just need get something to thread them with. Thanks for letting me share.

Rosie
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: First time wire wrapping

Post by Firebird »

Those are cute! Nice job :D
If you don't use a chain thin satin ribbon will work too. You can choose colors too smiley_dance
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

I think they look cute! I also tried to make some wire jewlery/pendantes the turned out horrible *lol good thing they got lost.
BB

Blue Moon
Etbonusmalum

Post by Etbonusmalum »

I like them! I happen to like the imperfect ones better than some of the ones that are professionally done. Keep practicing
Becks

Post by Becks »

Lovely! There's nothing like being creative and exploring new ways to do that.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Oh, these are pretty!
Good job, Rosie, I really love them!
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Nice job on the wirewraps! Trust me, the stuff you see as "imperfection" is usually unnoticeable in most cases (or, if they are noticed, it looks like your awesome artistic style!).
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Thanks you all! It was fun just being creative and see how it turned out. I changed the pictures so they are a little bigger and a lot clearer. I wouldn't have been able to do it without YouTube though! I hope to make more. I know I have some teal/turquoise wire that would look so good on my rose quartz stones! I also have some clam and oyster shells that would look nice with the pearl beads I have. Thanks again for all your kind words!

Rosie
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I create jewellery too, please just be aware that a lot of people may react to the cheaper coloured wires which have colourings and nickel in them so be careful, you are doing so well, would be awful to make something so beautiful and time consuming then not be able to wear it :)
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Ivy wrote:I create jewellery too, please just be aware that a lot of people may react to the cheaper coloured wires which have colourings and nickel in them so be careful, you are doing so well, would be awful to make something so beautiful and time consuming then not be able to wear it :)
Thank for the heads up! My skin is not sensitive at all, I can wear anything. And, I definitely hadn't considered selling them or anything. But, I could see my self giving them as gifts, but not these, but after I get better at it. I'm actually just using this cheap wire because it's what I had. I can't buy things for a new hobbies until I pay off my credit card... But, fortunately, one of the things I racked my card up on was crafts! My 3rd bedroom is like a freakin' hobby lobby! I can't even remember what I bought this wire for. lol! I went ahead and made another one tonight with this moonshell. It was a good creative process because this was was super hard. The shape is odd and it's so smooth, and I had to start over once but I'm pleased with how it turned out. Image

Rosie
Abiegayle

Post by Abiegayle »

Where is a good place to purchase wiring and different types of stones?
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

RosieMoonflower wrote:
Ivy wrote:I create jewellery too, please just be aware that a lot of people may react to the cheaper coloured wires which have colourings and nickel in them so be careful, you are doing so well, would be awful to make something so beautiful and time consuming then not be able to wear it :)
Thank for the heads up! My skin is not sensitive at all, I can wear anything. And, I definitely hadn't considered selling them or anything. But, I could see my self giving them as gifts, but not these, but after I get better at it. I'm actually just using this cheap wire because it's what I had. I can't buy things for a new hobbies until I pay off my credit card... But, fortunately, one of the things I racked my card up on was crafts! My 3rd bedroom is like a freakin' hobby lobby! I can't even remember what I bought this wire for. lol! I went ahead and made another one tonight with this moonshell. It was a good creative process because this was was super hard. The shape is odd and it's so smooth, and I had to start over once but I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Rosie
You did well are you twisting by hand? Do you have any tools - twisting wire with a clamp on one end and pliers on the other gives a more even smoother result.

heheh its addictive isn't it!
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Abiegayle wrote:Where is a good place to purchase wiring and different types of stones?
well for beads and crystals one of the big shows, some will also sell sterling silver wires, otherwise it depends how much you want to buy really, and what kind.
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

First time wire wrapping

Ivy wrote:
RosieMoonflower wrote:
Thank for the heads up! My skin is not sensitive at all, I can wear anything. And, I definitely hadn't considered selling them or anything. But, I could see my self giving them as gifts, but not these, but after I get better at it. I'm actually just using this cheap wire because it's what I had. I can't buy things for a new hobbies until I pay off my credit card... But, fortunately, one of the things I racked my card up on was crafts! My 3rd bedroom is like a freakin' hobby lobby! I can't even remember what I bought this wire for. lol! I went ahead and made another one tonight with this moonshell. It was a good creative process because this was was super hard. The shape is odd and it's so smooth, and I had to start over once but I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Rosie
You did well are you twisting by hand? Do you have any tools - twisting wire with a clamp on one end and pliers on the other gives a more even smoother result.

heheh its addictive isn't it!
It is very addicting! It's just a nice way to unwind and be creative. I did a lot of the twisting on this one by hand mostly because the shell was so hard to work with. I do not own any tools of my own but I happen to live with a man who owns about 40 different sets of pliers, so I borrowed some from the garage. I had one set of needle nose and last night I found a pair of round nose and tried using those. They were so small they were hard to use, so I went back to the needle nose. But, even that was hard which why I did a lot by hand and just used the pliers to "tighten" it. This is my least favorite moonshell, mostly because I bought it and didn't find it. So I used it to practice and wasn't that concerned if it didn't look great. The others I have are smaller so they will be even harder, lol.

I bought most of the stones I have in Denver at a tourist shop. And, I have two others I found at a music festival. The shells I have, half of them I found in a decorative item at a thrift store. I took them out of what they were in. Then, the other half I found myself on a beach on the Gulf of Mexico. I've seen polished stones at a thrift store before, but never purchased one.

A lot of my craft stuff (wire, beads, thread, etc) came from Joann's. It's a chain craft store in the south. But, all the stuff I have is plastic and cheap. It's just what I have already. I really don't have the money right now to buy more stuff for a new hobby. So I'm making it work with what I got. [WINKING FACE] I'm still searching for that turquoise wire though! The only other colors I have are the red and gold so I keep using the gold, it looks the best on the stuff I have.

Rosie
evil ed

Post by evil ed »

Rosie,
If interested, I can send you some Kevlar thread (black). I haven't used it myself, but a lot of bead folks I know really liked it when I gave them some. Just shoot me a PM with where to send it! :)!
E.E.
By the prickling of my thumbs,
something Wiccan this way comes!

Return to “Artwork”