Making a book of shadows from scratch

Start your own thread named "[Name's] Book of Shadows" and add spells, rituals, correspondences, music, videos, etc. that you would like to keep for future use or share with others. Use as many posts as you'd like. It's not private, but at least your family won't see it. You can also get ideas from other people's Books of Shadows.
naomij

Making a book of shadows from scratch

Post by naomij »

Hi all, I hope this is in the right place. I am making my own book of shadows and wondered if anyone else had done this, or has suggestions for things to include.

I am new to Wicca, but I did start an interest in it a few years back. I even bought a lovely little book to make into a book of shadows, but somehow it never felt quite right. Maybe I wasn't in the right place/frame of mind. A strong connection to nature and its energies has always been a thing for me, and various things have brought me back to wonder about Wicca again. I like a ritual, but I want to go slowly and read lots. Perhaps, I will give it a year and a day :)

Anyway, I decided to try again with the BoS to collect notes about things which resonate with me. Because I like making things, and to avoid rushing, I am binding my own. I had a look online, but I would like something discreet, so I am take it about with me without worrying about people noticing and being curious. I would like it to be quite small, too - but thick, with lots of pages :) I have cut some pages which are plain, some lined, and some coloured. I will probably use them as different sections. I also plan to make some envelopes in the same size, which can be bound in with the pages.

I don't know what the cover will be like yet, but it will be hard and probably covered with fabric. I saw a suggestion somewhere of putting herbs or similar into the book as its made, which seems like a lovely idea. I may hide some pressed flowers and herbs in it when I get to glueing the cover.

Has anyone else tried this? If you were going to make your own BoS, what would you do or include?
Jenny Crow

Re: making a book of shadows from scratch

Post by Jenny Crow »

Your book sounds lovely, although a lot of work.

What works best for me is a three-ring binder with the largest rings you can get. That way I can add pages to it easily and take the pages out that I will need when going into circle. I have it divided into sections - Seasonal Rites; Rituals, including my Full Moon Ritual; Spells; Initiations; Oils and Herbs; Correspondences and a section for notes on Magic. Most of it is written by hand. I started it thirty years ago. The outside of the binder is covered. :)
naomij

Re: Making a book of shadows from scratch

Post by naomij »

A binder sounds much more sensible and well organised :)
It's turning out OK. Sewing together pages sounds like a faff, but it was really quite quick. The envelopes didn't work out, but nevermind. There's something quite pleasing about the little wodge of paper in my hand. I hope it still seems lovely when it has a cover!

I think it will be very useful to have sections for things as I learn more about them. Especially correspondences and rituals, and the seasons. I think I will draw in it too, to help remember things.
Jenny Crow

Post by Jenny Crow »

Hope you enjoy your BoS
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

Sounds really really nice! I've thaught about binding my own bos as well - I have a ring binder for all my notes and just started a bos to hold spells and the things I really need - the elements, herbs, moonphases, gems, colours, months and symbols - spells for abundance healing protection banishing and wishes.
Its almost full already - you'll need a lot of pages
BB

Blue Moon
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

I had toyed around with the idea of creating my own journal at some point. Stitching in the pages, finding a nice bit of fabric or leather to customize for the cover, gilding the edges, etc...

I still may do it one day if I get enough spare funding and get bored enough. It's a fantastic idea, but it does take a fair bit of effort to make it exactly what you want it to be.

All my journals so far are either blank-paged (no lines), or graph-paper style. Because I write asymmetrically and I draw a fair bit. I had never thought about using different colored paper though...

I have seen once in a book where the pages were white, but along all four edges there was what looked like water-color "smudging." It gave it a more surreal look, less conventional, and if I could replicate that without ending up with water-damaged pages, that's probably what I would strive for.

If you ever get around to finishing this project, consider showing us some photos!

Return to “Member's Books of Shadows”