The Temple of High Witchcraft

Review and recommend pagan, spiritual, Wicca, & witchcraft books.
hecate8

The Temple of High Witchcraft

Post by hecate8 »

This book is by Christopher Penczak, author of City Magick, another book that I also found interesting. In this work, Penczak seems to be uniting Golden Dawn type ceremonial magick and Qabalah with witchcraft, something I've been doing in my own practice for some time now. I would be interested in hearing from anyone else who has read the book and/or done the exercises, what you thought and what your experiences were, or from anyone interested in bringing ceremonial magic and witchcraft together. It seems to me that both have something to bring to the other.
Free or drug free? America can't be both!
mos

Re: The Temple of High Witchcraft

Post by mos »

I have done lot's of the work.
If you look at Wicca you will see how it took lots of stuff from Crowley,who took all of his truff from the Hermetic order G.D
Magic
Many Wiccans believe in magic, a manipulative force exercised through the practice of witchcraft or sorcery. Many Wiccans agree with the definition of magic offered by ceremonial magicians,[37] such as Aleister Crowley, who declared that magic was "the science and art of causing change to occur in conformity with will", while another prominent ceremonial magician, MacGregor Mathers stated that it was "the science of the control of the secret forces of nature".[37] Many Wiccans believe magic to be a law of nature, as yet misunderstood or disregarded by contemporary science,[37] and as such they do not view it as being supernatural, but a part of what Leo Martello calls the "super powers that reside in the natural".[38] Some Wiccans believe that magic is simply making full use of the five senses in order to achieve surprising results,[38] whilst other Wiccans do not claim to know how magic works, merely believing that it does because they have observed it to be so.[39] Some spell it "magick", a variation coined by the influential occultist Aleister Crowley, though this spelling is more commonly associated with Crowley's religion of Thelema than with Wicca.

The point [of magic in Witchcraft] is to make the "bendable" world bend to your will ... Unless you possess a rock-firm faith in your own powers and in the operability of your spell, you will not achieve the burning intensity of will and imagination which is requisite to make the magic work.

Paul Huson (1970)[40]
During ritual practices, which are often staged in a sacred circle, Wiccans cast spells or "workings" intended to bring about real changes in the physical world. Common Wiccan spells include those used for healing, for protection, fertility, or to banish negative influences.[41] Many early Wiccans, such as Alex Sanders, Sybil Leek and Doreen Valiente, referred to their own magic as "white magic", which contrasted with "black magic", which they associated with evil and Satanism. Sanders also used the similar terminology of "left hand path" to describe malevolent magic, and "right hand path" to describe magic performed with good intentions;[42] terminology that had originated with the occultist Helena Blavatsky in the 19th century. Some modern Wiccans however have stopped using the white-black magic and left-right hand path dichotomies, arguing for instance that the colour black should not necessarily have any associations with evil.[43]

Scholars of religion Rodney Stark and William Bainbridge claimed in 1985 that Wicca had "reacted to secularisation by a headlong plunge back into magic" and that it was a reactionary religion which would soon die out. This view was heavily criticised in 1999 by the historian Ronald Hutton who claimed that the evidence displayed the very opposite: that "a large number [of Wiccans] were in jobs at the cutting edge [of scientific culture], such as computer technology."[35]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicca

So basically this is truly getting closer to it's true roots.
https://youtu.be/Z9Jlvd1B3rQ
So many folks just do not understand magick,and how Wicca is just one offshoot of the Golden Dawn,and the other occult paths that started doing ceremonial magick in the 1800's.
Vesca

Re: The Temple of High Witchcraft

Post by Vesca »

Edited to put in proper indication of a direct, large, quote from wikipedia.

Just a reminder: please be sure to quote your sources clearly. Plagiarism is a thing, even if it's unintentional.

Return to “Book Reviews”