Book/Website recommendations on spirituality?

Review and recommend pagan, spiritual, Wicca, & witchcraft books.
missdarlingjess

Book/Website recommendations on spirituality?

Post by missdarlingjess »

Does anyone have any websites or books I should try to read on spirituality? I have been reading a lot already from Anne Sayce and Doreen Virtue, but do you guys have any any other recommended authors? Sorry if this is the wrong forum I wasn't sure where to put it! :oops: I love reading about Angels, Spirit Guides, Chalkras, etc. It's fascinating! smileylove
Kassandra

Re: Book/Website recommendations on spirituality?

Post by Kassandra »

Well, in my opinion to determine the direction of your studies, it may be a good idea to determine what the three most important needs in your life are right now. I could just name off a bunch of random but interesting books and websites, but I think it's more important to look at what you're interested in "developing" in your life.

missdarlingjess

Thank you for your insight! I'll try and narrow it down soon!
missdarlingjess

How about something along the lines of trying to be less egotistical, cold and how to see the bigger picture better. I hope that helps! X(
-Dark-Moon-

Post by -Dark-Moon- »

Womens spirituality - power and grace - Mary Faulkner

White magic - Lucy Cavendish

Courage - the joy of living dangerously - Osho

A guide for the advanced soul - Susan Hayward

Goddess Aloud - transforming your world through rituals and mantras - Michelle Skye

The seven secrets of magic and manifestation - Stella Woods

Work with the Dark Moon/New Moon can help with with these issues.
I am that which is attained at the end of desire
Isis3Anubis

Post by Isis3Anubis »

Maybe you would be interested in Buddhism. A lot of Buddhist practice is about compassion for others and letting go of your ego. Buddhism for Dummies is a good starter. Buddhism does not have to be a religion, in fact many consider it a philosophical discipline rather than a religion.
She's just pieces of me you've never seen ~ Tori Amos
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Isis3Anubis wrote:Buddhism does not have to be a religion, in fact many consider it a philosophical discipline rather than a religion.
Nice recommendation, Isis3Anubis. I consider Buddhism a mental exercise. At no point, in any sermon he gave, did he ever say he wanted to be a god, that he wanted people to worship him. That was imposed on him by people around him, which is in my opinion what happened to the Jewish guy, as well. But if you study Buddhism, such things as the Metta prayer for example, you see that it is a mental discipline that emphasizes benevolence to others, and self control. And yes, the ego becomes eradicated little by little, over time, because as one observes their thoughts in meditation (a critical component to the practice), their awareness increases as to which thoughts are based on ego-defense, and which thoughts are based on genuineness, sincerity and a true expression of the soul. I would liken it a little to cognitive behavioral therapy of the Western world, lol. Anyway, great suggestion, Isis3Anubis.

missdarlingjess, have you read Chakra Clearing: Awakening Your Power to Heal, by Doreen Virtue? Perhaps that's a good place to start, as you mentioned being interested in chakras. This book is about the chakras, plus it has a guided meditation cd with meditations for both morning and evening. Like a regular Buddhist meditation practice teaches awareness, the guided meditations on the cd will teach you to be aware of what's happening inside these energy centers along the spine, the chakras, that affect every part of our lives. It's very interesting to do these meditations, and over time your chakras really do start healing and remaining clearer and more balanced. You could feel it.

I don't know if this is the kind of thing you are looking for or not.

missdarlingjess

Thank you all so much for your help! And, actually, I have been saving up money for that book! I'll be sure to look into Buddhism too. I had no idea some consider it to not really be a religion! :D
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

missdarlingjess wrote:actually, I have been saving up money for that book!
I could lend you mine. It's just sitting around. If you're interested, PM me your mailing address, and I'll be happy to send it.
missdarlingjess

Thank you for the offer, but I am still a minor and I would find it hard to explain to my mother! She worries about creeps on the internet a lot and would be scared stiff if I received a package! :P
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Oh, haha, I didn't think about that. I didn't check your age. Thanks for letting me know, no worries.

missdarlingjess

No problem!
MOTHERofDRAGONS

Post by MOTHERofDRAGONS »

I have books, PDF, on Left and Right side
(I believe that I shall never stop learning, and if I come across darker magick, I need to be able to protect myself.)
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Just a note, as of this writing, the OP hasn't logged in to the message board since April 2014. There's nothing wrong with posting on old threads, just may not get a response from OP.

Nice to see you again, MotherofDragons!

Return to “Book Reviews”