What Are Your Opinions on Silver RavenWolf's Books?

Review and recommend pagan, spiritual, Wicca, & witchcraft books.

What do you think about Silver Ravenwolf's books?

Very good
28%
Awesome
6%
The best book of magic
No votes
Very bad
6%
Fluff
56%
Extremely bad
6%

Total votes: 18

Lord_of_Nightmares

Re: What Are Your Opinions on Silver RavenWolf's Books?

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

I think she is fluff in her books, but not in real life. I say this because I know someone who left her coven, when she did she became a lot better of a person. She keeps her identity secret because of all the cursing Silver's coven does, which according to her is quite a bit. Silver's public image and her private persona are at completely different (opposite) spectrums from what I gather. This person I know also said most of the coven's work and basic outline are in Teen Witch. A lot of her members were pretty mad about that one.

While I don't like is her tone, disinformation, and the other things she does. With that said, she does come up with decent sigil and magickal works. I will give her that.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I've thought her Silver Broomstick, Magic Cauldron and Sacred Flame trio writing style is upbeat,and she thinks outside the box, which is probably what annoys many people, but it's what I like about her. "American Folkmagic" and "Hexcraft" were pretty good for the pow wow theme, and "Solitary" was a good reference type. Her "Hedgewitch" book was disappointing, with no depth. I haven't read any others.

@ Lilith - you 'd mentioned SRWs disinformation. Can you think of any examples? Her books were part of my Wiccan "formative years" and id want to correct those early errors in my learning, or at least re-think 'Em.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

SpiritTalker wrote: @ Lilith - you 'd mentioned SRWs disinformation. Can you think of any examples? Her books were part of my Wiccan "formative years" and id want to correct those early errors in my learning, or at least re-think 'Em.

There is quite a few. This site covers some of it.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Thanks for the lead. After reading thru the text and comments, I'm relieved. All I can say is, Really? Opinions vary, as they should. SRW's opinions are not those of an historian, theologian, or scholar, and i've never thought she was claiming to be any of those things. Since there is no one-right-way in the craft then I can't consider her intuitive way uninformed. What matters to me is whether or not her stuff works, and I've found it does.
CleverlyDisguised

Post by CleverlyDisguised »

I use some info from her books but mostly I ignore them.
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

I always love when this question comes up. People are so divided on her work. Some think she's fluffy, some think she's too hardcore. Some think she bashes the Christians far too much. Almost everyone in the community has an opinion of her. Which, is an accomplishment in itself in my opinion.

Personally I like her. Her book of shadows was a great reference for me years ago.

I think everything you read on Witchcraft should be taken with a grain of salt. I believe people should make their own minds up. Do what works for you. If it works for you, that's all that matters. If she helps you find what works for you, great. If not, at least you learned what not to do. :lol:
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
Newbiewitch94
Banned Member

Post by Newbiewitch94 »

Never read them but from what I've heard I'm glad I didn't. I personally prefer Scott Cunninghams books
Siona

Post by Siona »

My biggest problem with SWR is that she wrote an entire book on hedgecraft that has absolutely nothing to do with hedgecraft. It's one thing to say, oh, it's her opinion or whatever, but if one is going to be claiming to write about a particular tradition then, you know, they need to do that. It's like if someone wrote a book called "Hinduism" but it was actually a book about Christianity. Just doesn't fly. Hedgecraft isn't "wish for a lawnmower and you'll get it!" which is, literally, an example of what's in that book. It muddies the waters for anyone actually wishing to practice hedgecraft.

Before that book I'd noticed quite a bit of the same thing in her other books. She makes up stuff and passes it off as something it's not. It's not a problem if she wants to write about her own practice, it is a problem she she claims it's universal, or again, puts a label on it that should not be there. Years ago I would say, with caution, her earlier books are alright when taken with a huge grain of salt... but, eh, I dunno. There are just so, so many better books out there these days.
IsaacIcarus

Post by IsaacIcarus »

Siona wrote:My biggest problem with SWR is that she wrote an entire book on hedgecraft that has absolutely nothing to do with hedgecraft. It's one thing to say, oh, it's her opinion or whatever, but if one is going to be claiming to write about a particular tradition then, you know, they need to do that. It's like if someone wrote a book called "Hinduism" but it was actually a book about Christianity. Just doesn't fly. Hedgecraft isn't "wish for a lawnmower and you'll get it!" which is, literally, an example of what's in that book. It muddies the waters for anyone actually wishing to practice hedgecraft.

Oooh yes, this. I'm working through this exact book at the moment, actually! It's the only one of her's that I've read and I've actually been enjoying it. Fluffy and silly, yes. Ridiculous at some points (re: lawn mowers. yikes), yes. But the crafts have been fun and some of the various concepts, meditations, and affirmations have been helpful and useful to me. I was actually getting to be pretty excited and enthusiastic about the whole thing. I'm disappointed to read so many terrible things about her. After trudging my way through D. J. Conway's "Wicca: The Complete Craft", which I disliked immensely for the same reasons many are lamenting SRW's writings, I was enjoying her hedgecraft book as a breath of fluffy fresh air. Now I'm quite discouraged about the whole thing. Should I continue to get what I can out of her book or should I forgo the whole thing entirely? What resources would you recommend for some accurate and useful information on hedgecraft?
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

IsaacIcarus, to that I would say, follow your intuition. If something in her book resonates with you, who are we to tell you you're wrong.
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows

Return to “Book Reviews”