Choice of Approaches (depression spell)

For you advanced spell crafters looking to get feedback on spells you wrote.
Victoria Mnemosyne

Choice of Approaches (depression spell)

Post by Victoria Mnemosyne »

Now for spell-writing purposes
I'm considering either
A) "banish depression" spell
B) "attract happiness" spell
C) "heal depression/ wounds from the past" spell

all for the same purposes, but different approaches. How would u advise to approach this, and why?
black dove

Re: Choice of Approaches (depression spell)

Post by black dove »

Depending on the "wounds from the past", I would take different approaches.

If you're just upset lately (over nothing really): B

If you're being bothered by something that recently occurred. I would take a mundane approach and try to settle it that way first. As a moderator, I'm sure you have already made this attempt : A

If this situation goes back to a moderate "wound from the past", go ahead with C

If the situation is a serious "Wound from the past", Try to settle things in the mundane world. Talk to the antagonist, mundanely purify everything. If things are still hard for you, go with C... though I would advise some personal reflexion... I prefer a mirror... Though I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir.
Just looking for the answers to life.
)O( Blessed be
Victoria Mnemosyne

This is a spell requested by a close friend, who doesn't actually know much about magic. I discussed the approaches with her and she said she favors the banishing approach because it communicates more of a "get the f** out and never come back!" sentiment ;) but I'm not sure if it's the best approach, especially because the depression isn't so much a present thing, as it grows out of a history of abuse and a hard life in general. (shes not in therapy but I've suggested it as have many others, she just has to be ready to do it for herself).

Also, I'd appreciate people's opinions on a more general plane (even if they don't have specific advice). As an advanced spell-writing question it's a valid one: How do we approach problems? If you have someone bothering you, do you "send the negativity back", "banish it", "make them a nicer person", "protect yourself against it bothering you" etc... There are countless ways to approach a spell. I would be intersted in discussing which approach you use/would use, and why.
Greek_Male_Witch

Post by Greek_Male_Witch »

I know Moss Agate stone is the one that helps you get over those wounds, and sunstone also helps with depression.
What Goes Around,Comes Around!
Victoria Mnemosyne

Yes but I was asking why people would choose one approach over the other. Not what ingredients to use.
ebenb84

Post by ebenb84 »

well why not compose a spell that does a combination of the three? start out with banishing the depression, then healing the wounds from the past and then attracting happiness. you could just go with one of these but like if you were to just banish the depression, there is no guarantee that the depression won't return if the wounds aren't properly healed.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

Healing should be first. If your depression steams from past events, it would seem that if those events are closed and delat with then it would just be a matter of "cleaning up" the left overs. If you save it for another time, then you are just sticking a finger in to the leaking damn.
Victoria Mnemosyne

Thanks everyone for your advice.
Should I suggest that she do the spell herself, rather than have me do it for her?
Would it be appropriate for me to write the spell for her and ask her to perform it?
Sorcha

Post by Sorcha »

JBRaven wrote:Healing should be first. If your depression steams from past events, it would seem that if those events are closed and delat with then it would just be a matter of "cleaning up" the left overs. If you save it for another time, then you are just sticking a finger in to the leaking damn.
I agree--healing first.

Reading through your response, it sounds like you do mean depression in the illness manner, not just a bit of seasonal sadness, so:

Coming from someone with severe Major Depressive Disorder (among other mental illnesses), I'm not sure any of the options would be best. Getting better from depression, or any mental illness, is about acceptance of your illness, and work to get better. If anything, I would suggest a spell to give her the inner strength to face her problems and get professional help, or a spell to help her bear her hardships better.

During my time in-patient on of the things doctors, nurses, and therapists like to stress about depression is it is an illness. The comparison to Diabetes is common--if you have Diabetes or any other illness of the sort, you wouldn't cast a spell to be rid of it, you'd see a doctor. You might cast a spell to help, but casting a spell alone is unwise.

Depression is a tricky beast, and you are not a doctor or therapist. Depending on the situation and how bad her depression is, I actually think doing a spell might do more harm than good. It can lead to false hope, frustration, and actually make the depression worse if it doesn't work quite how she thinks it should.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

I would suggest that you write the spell and ask her to cast it. IF you really want to help re wording the spell for you to cast it upon her as a double measure, would be fine. Though the huge point is her doing it herself. With depression, nlike other healing, it has to do with the focuses mind set. If she is taking proactive steps to heal herself it could lead to a better outcome.
Victoria Mnemosyne

Thank you
The way I thought of it, she is not yet ready to go into therapy, but I am hoping that feeling as if something small has been done for her will help her to take the next step
dneco2263

Post by dneco2263 »

I would go with C) because A) banishes depression, but it doesn't let you move on from whatever happened. and B) causes you to be happy again, but again, you haven't really moved on from it. C) would be the best approach, in my opinion :D
Vervain

Post by Vervain »

My personal approach would be the third.
You can't banish the effect an experience (depression) has already had on you, but you can work to improve your own disposition and heal yourself. You will be a different person from what you've been through, but you can heal yourself.

Just my $0.02...
Vervain

Post by Vervain »

ebenb84 wrote:well why not compose a spell that does a combination of the three? start out with banishing the depression, then healing the wounds from the past and then attracting happiness. you could just go with one of these but like if you were to just banish the depression, there is no guarantee that the depression won't return if the wounds aren't properly healed.
I like this idea as well. Covers all the bases, and gives it a sort of triplicity. I wouldn't have thought of it myself--just another reason to be on this forum. Neat. :)
TheGirlOfSecrets

Post by TheGirlOfSecrets »

I think it depends on where abouts the moon is.
I am always never not broken.

Return to “Spell Critique”