Fairies

Discussion of folklore and myths.
[WITCH1]

Fairies

Post by [WITCH1] »

I read a book about fairies ( Fairies 101) I found alot of information :

1. Fairies are attracted to beatiful gardens.
2. They love candy ( unwrapped of course ) but chocolate the most.
3. Fairies LOVE LOVE LOVE shiny objects.

Anyone know any ways to attract fairies with a potion, spell, items? Let' stalk about fairies!

I believe In Fairies.... Do you?
Not all scars show, not all wounds heal, you can't always see the pain someone feels.
Lynelle

Re: Fairies

Post by Lynelle »

From things I've heard so far, it seems pretty difficult. Once you find them, I suppose it would be something like catching a bird. (put salt on their wings.) :wink:

I heard your chances are better on midsummer's eve, but I don't know if Shakespeare drew inspiration from that, or vice versa. Also, if you are a child or pregnant.

Not sure if this is legit, but this might point you in the right direction. http://www.mookychick.co.uk/spirit/fair ... ck-oil.php
xhesive

Post by xhesive »

Not all Fae are the bouncy, happy, Tinkerbell-like fairies we see on tv. If you go back to the original fairy tales and lore before they became "Disney-esque" you would find out that people were terrified of them and respected them in the way that one might respect fire or a tornado or hurricane (by attempting to stay away from them.) They were known to steal babies, make milk go sour, food go bad, steal your stuff, and some were even murderous (google redcaps) or fed on human flesh. At best, they're very mischevous and aren't to be trusted. The thing to remember when dealing with the Fae, they don't have a sense of morals like people do, so they don't see their doings as wrong or right.

In lore it was believed that even calling them by name was attracting them so instead they were called Wee Ones, Friendly Ones, Nice Folk, Shinning Ones, etc. Iron was placed in doorways to keep them out, and milk and honey was given as a way of respect and saying thanks- as in thanks for not stealing our children and making mishief.

I'm not saying that all of them are bad or evil by any means just that they're not all light and goodness either. As with everything else, the Fae come in many different kinds and characters. For the most part they'll be happy with a little respect. But once again, the Fae do not have morals and are near impossible to get rid of once you've upset them. So if you are thinking of using a spell to call them your way, my advice is to learn a little more about them first and be very careful with how you word your spell as what we view as respectful won't always be their view. And as always don't call anything you can't put down.
witchmoon21

Post by witchmoon21 »

I just remembered that ostara is a good time for fairy magic.
Nyxannwn

Post by Nyxannwn »

Hey everyone! If anyone has questions about faeries, feel free to direct them at me. I'm honestly a wealth of knowledge...haha. Most of my practice is centered around them. I've read all of my faery books so many times over the years that they now look way older than they actually are >__>

I would highly reccomend any books by Brian Froud first and foremost. Gives a good overview of different types of fairies from all over the world, and it's accurate to boot. It really delves into the culture of faery, the personality of different types of faeries, what things ar taboo in their culture and what is smiled upon and blessed. I see and interact with the faeries regularly. I've flown with them, dined with them, and danced with them on the astral plane, photographed them in real life, and I've even recieved some presents from them (which I cannot name specifically, because the faeries often stop giving presents if the receiver names the gift that was given). They were small, and I haven't received one in awhile, but it is nice when it happens.

So yes. any and all questions welcome! I would love to help those of you interested in faeries. Witchcraft these days is a little more removed from the fae, which is strange since the witches of old were allies with the faeries and communed with them often. The fae are a direct link to understanding nature.
Love34

Post by Love34 »

I love fairies! What else do you know about fairies>
Artie

Post by Artie »

I found a surprising amount of people all over the web (who aren't pagan) who have come in contact with garden faeries or pixies. There aren't that many people who say that they aren't real, i've found. Those who do say that they don't exist, have people telling them that their god doesn't exist (same concept) and piss them off.

I personally haven't seen one before, but I know they're out there!
Here in the forest, dark and deep
I offer you the gift of eternal sleep.
[WITCH1]

Post by [WITCH1] »

Ack! I saw a big fast stirk of light! When It turned dark outside!!!! But it disappeared when I turned on the lights -.- :roll:
Not all scars show, not all wounds heal, you can't always see the pain someone feels.

Return to “Folklore and Myths”