Building an altar, help!

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Syndica

Building an altar, help!

Post by Syndica »

Hi there,

I am still quite new to being a witch, I was wondering what do i need to build altar. What color candles do I use?

I thought of using white, green, and purple is that a good combo?
Last edited by Firebird on Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: SpiritTalker said she edited, but this was a mess, re editing!
Greymalkin
Banned Member

Post by Greymalkin »

Why not?

You'll find plenty of 'rules' on all aspects of your craft but as always it's what feels right to you that matters most.

So long as you remember your altar is a working tool - not an ornament.

I've seen some lovely altars over the years but they are hardly used because it would be like destroying a work of art.

There's nothing wrong with making your altar pleasing to the eye but keep it a fuctional altar. It has to be used.
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

My altar is always 'made up' to correspond with what i am working on in that time of my life... so i chose the coloured candles, incense, herbs, etc that i need for that particular thing...

So for example at the moment, my altar is made up to correspond with motherhood and pregnancy because i am pregnant with my first kid, so i have a deep pink altar cloth to symbolise the womb, i have a painted egg with appropriate colours, an incense i made for this purpose, corresponding crystals etc etc...

So think of the stage you are in at the moment in your life and set your altar to suit, or just set it up to be an every day altar....

Your candle colours could be any combo, its ur altar afterall =)

White is for pure spirit, stone, all colours in the upperworld..... Green is for sexuality, growth, harmony, fertility, and strong heart emotion..... and purple (or violet) is intellect, the union of the God and Goddess, violet is red and blue in harmony =)

Hope this helped you hun

Blessed be
Pix
Syndica

Post by Syndica »

hi there,

I went and did some major shopping for my alter I just about got everything on the list. A witch helped me out but i do need a dagger and a challace. I have a goddess statue of bas my favorite goddess. I also baught gold and silver, white and black, and a few other elemental colors. I have my cauldron, my bell and tile, my alter is purple and black. Purple seems to calm me down. :D I do plan to use my alter daily. :P

I also picked up some books, some spell casting books and the witches bible. :)

blessed be
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Building an altar, help!

Post by SpiritTalker »

Altars usually hold symbols of Deity and the 4 Elements - land, sea, sky & fire. All together they symbolize the universe, as does the circle. You’d need working supplies: incense - oil & candles - libations/water - salt & herbs represent air, fire, water & earth. Start-up gear: Heat-safe incense bowl, candle holders, potion cup, offering plate & table cloth. It’s OK to repurpose household dishes. Popular starter herbs are sage, rosemary, lavender & thyme though it varies a lot by personal preference.

The language of color is fun to use. Altar color associations change at different seasons like orange & black at Samhain, red & green for Yule, etc. Or use all purpose white, the most spiritual color. Some people use candle colors symbolic of deity - red for Mother Earth/green for the Lord of the Forest or silver for the Moon Goddess and gold for the Sun God. Some deities have color associations & an altar could use those colors to honor that deity.

As for using white, green & purple candles - consider what the colors mean to you. Notice what they make you think of and if the thoughts support your purpose then use them.
Last edited by Firebird on Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Sheeze, she spelled altar like alter in the title
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I think if one is new to the craft, keep it simple and basic.
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Ellis Asher

Post by Ellis Asher »

I apologize to the author as I couldn't find (well, without working harder than I wanted too) who posted the following approximation

I'm in the woods often and that it's fall and soon winter I'll be there every day or so. What I read was about building your alter out of the environment. It's not convenience that attracted me to the idea, again, not only the convenience, rather the honoring. Honoring the forest, the trout stream, the cool gentle wind and relative calm, the birds, squirrels and fish hitting the surface and the little splash that linger in the air.

I cannot adequately explain how significant the effect was on my psyche when I read it. Maybe it was DB. I will find them now and them know the above.

Cheers
Ellis Asher

Post by Ellis Asher »

Quick update...

It was Firebird!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Moi? Huh,
by the way, it can be helpful to other readers if you could post a link to what you are referring to. and who is DB?
bb, Firebird :fairy:
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”