Lilith

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
passionintheair

Lilith

Post by passionintheair »

i have just heard that there is a goddess named Lilith...someone has any info about her?....

*LOL*...here is one kinda whird and scary photo of her at the same time: http://www.halexandria.org/images/Lilith.gif ... or maybe just i think that way...
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

gotta love the Lil' :P
I adore that picture i dont find it scary or anything, i think its a beauty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilith

here is a good place to begin ;)
passionintheair

Post by passionintheair »

is she a part of satanism or wicca? what i can see its both...How can she be both good and evil? :oops: :?:
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

kinda neither. Right, the skinny of Lilith is she is a Judaic being, or maybe she came before, im not 100% on that ... but my point is still valid ...

Some satanists "decided" to make her the bride of satan.
Some wiccans "take" her for her aspects of femininity

But in truthfullness ... she belongs in neither religion.

"How can she be both good and evil?"

things aren't so black and white as many would want you to believe
[EarthWitch]

Post by [EarthWitch] »

I am all about Lilith...she is awesome! There are texts that say she was the first wife of Adam at the time of the creation and that they were both created out of dust at the same time so that they would be equal, but she was too strong willed and ate from the tree of life and "became" "like God" and she rose to another consciousness, so then God created Eve out of the rib of man to make her "subserviant" (sp).
...not all who wander are lost... (tolkein)

I am the daughter of Earth and Water
and the nursling of the sky-
I pass through the pores of the oceans and shores
I change, but I never die.
-shelley-
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

What a lovely depiction.Lilith is the primal feminine.Not Satanic, not Wiccan.Far older than both/either.
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

I read somewhere (I think in 'The Hebrew Goddess') that she was a Babalonian goddess of primal wisdom, or "Queen of the Animals."
Her animal was the owl.

The Babalonian gods all got turned into demons by the Hebrews, to thwart their numbers from worshiping them.
[EarthWitch]

Post by [EarthWitch] »

I found this:

It is said that Lillith was the twin sister of Adam and dwelt with him in the Garden at Paradise. Adam was king of Eden and Lillith wished to be co-ruler with him, but the Lord of Light permitted it not. Lillith was beautiful and wise. She wearied of her brother, Adam, who was less wise than she. Lillith refused to bear children from Adam. The Lord of Light was angered and turned Lillith out of Paradise. Samuel, an angel of the Lord of Light and a son of god, fell in love with Lillith. To Samuel, Lillith bore three half-god, half-human children, all called the nephilim. Their wisdom, power and beauty was so great that the children of Darkness were afraid of them and called them monstrous names to defile them. Lillith would not be defiled. From her beloved Samuel she learned the wisdom of the Lord of Light and became the first witch. She lived as a daughter of the night mother, calling the people to dance and be joyous by the light of the moon. Her symbol was the night owl, and those who followed her called her Arionrhod. The children of Darkness trembled and barred their doors at night seeking to protect themselves lest Lillith take them and teach them the ways of the wise ones, the witches of old.

CL
...not all who wander are lost... (tolkein)

I am the daughter of Earth and Water
and the nursling of the sky-
I pass through the pores of the oceans and shores
I change, but I never die.
-shelley-
Colubra

Post by Colubra »

The Lilith that I have experienced (to a greater degree than I would like) is not a benevolent being. I believe there are different beings who can go by the name "Lilith" and that these beings have names other than simply the one to define them as individual from each other.

I've done a great deal of research on Lilith and such because of my experiences with her, though what I've personally found differs to some degree from the research I have done. So much is shrouded in mystery for various reasons and has altered in interpretation over time...

I've discussed much of this with Sobek.

Anyhow, she is a very lustful being who likes to enthrall others...physical and non...basically to have them serve and worship her.

I know this is vague. I wasn't going to really post anything, but I couldn't resist seeing as a topic was made about her. She's fascinating, but can be quite dangerous. Even now that I think of her, I feel a slight pull. Blah.

I've actually recently written a play in which Lilith is a character. :)
blssdpoet

Post by blssdpoet »

I literally just had an experience with what I believe was the Goddess Lilith.

Let me back up here....last night both my daughter and I had a dream of her. Then today we were watching the History Channel and she was mentioned several times in a couple of programs. This evening as I was doing a reading, I began to hear an owl outside of my house. That is quite odd because we live in the middle of a city and I have lived in this house for 5 years and have never had the occasion of hearing an owl here.
I felt compelled to wake my daughter and as I went to her window to look for the owl, the time was 1:11 am.
We went outside and the Owl began to "who" louder. We got on our knees and thanked her for coming to us and she, it seemed to both of us, acknowledged us with her beautiful voice once more. She did not leave until we were back in the house. We have not heard her since.

Any thoughts anyone?? Keep in mind I do not believe in coincidences! The only thing that kind of worries me is that since Christmas night I have been having trouble with my heart again...and I have read that Lilith "can" represent death. I did not get that feeling this evening that it was this type of omen, but it is ... a wonder....rather I felt she was here to empower myself and my daughter more then anything.
[SnowRaven]

Post by [SnowRaven] »

To me, she was never a malevolent persona. My take on her has always been that she was Adam's first wife and created as his equal - he couldn't deal, so she left him and he was provided a more malleable mate in Eve. [look how well that worked out for him! :shock: ] Looking at that triangle, it appears to me that Lilith just didn't appeal to patriarchal religious writers and so was painted with rather a tarry brush. A free thinking woman replaced by one that they could then pin the idea of Original Sin on. Lilith would be a good place for those to start who were focused on Christian Mysticism, IMO.
NereaShayla

Post by NereaShayla »

I remember reading somewhere that Lilith was like the guardian to the Faerie world of sorts... correct me if I'm wrong. This has peaked my interest! I'm going to see if I can try and find a link to where I read that. :?
NereaShayla

Post by NereaShayla »

I remember where I read about her! It was in Silvia Browne's book 'Phenomenon.' I'd recommend looking up Silvia if you haven't heard of her. She's amazing.

Anyway, this is what it says about Lilith in this book:

"Jweish folklore defines Lilith as the first wife of Adam, made of dust exactly as Adam was. When she refused to be submissive to him, she was banished from the Garden of Eden, and Adam was given Eve, who wa created from Adam's rib to guarantee obedience to Adam's will.
When she was cast out of the Garden od Eden, Lilith took up residence in a cave, where she set up her favourite belongings, most particularly a mirror that she proudly displayed. She entertained demons in her cave, the legend goes, and gave birth to legions of demon offspring who emerged from that cave to spread insidious evil throughout the world. It was said that whenever these devil progeny wanted to return to their mother all they had to do was enter the nearest mirror, since by then, through Lilith's powerful vanity, all mirrors had become direct passageways to Lillith's cave.
In some translations of the Bible there is one (and only one) reference to the name "Lilith," in Isaiah 34:14: "And wild beasts shall meet with hyenas, the satyr shall cry to his fellow; and there shall repose Lilith and find her a place of rest." This is believed by some to be the "perios at the end of the sentance" that starts in the Kabbala an its description of the Holy One destroying "the Wicked Rome" and reducing it to ruins "for all eternity. He will send Lillith there and let her dwell in that ruin for she is the ruination of the world."
Now, I'm no feminist, but it hasn't escaped my notice that the most hideous possible interpretations of the Lilith folklore began springing up right around the same time concept of Azna, the Mother God, began fading from church documents, and religion itself became a patriarchy. Maybe it's just me, but respectful as I am tword everyone's beliefs on a large scale, provided they begin with a basic premis of the sanctity of all living things, I detect a certain lack of restraint and objectivity in a statement that reads "for she is the ruination of the world," no matter who this particular "she" is referring to.
In fact, Lilith is a great, positive, highly misunderstood power, the ruler of the first level of the Underworld. And let me quickly add that, contrary to popular belief, the Underworld has nothing to do with evil. You'll find a full description of it in it's own section, (I'll type that up too if you ask me) so I won't belabor it here, except as it applies to Lilith herself. The first of the Seven Lower Levels of Creation, as they're called is home to wonderful, mystical beings, beings that are often conveniently dismissed as delusions- the elves, the leprechauns, the sprites, the fairies, and the Gnomes. Lilith, Queen of the Fairies is the governess of that magical domain.
The entities on the first of these Lower Levels, including Lilith, are on the same frequency as earth itself, which is why "the little people" are seen even more oftan than in the spirit world, if those who see them would just admit it. And believe me, until I began researching this marvelous creation called the Underworld, I didn't buy it either, and might never have bothered to look into it untill I saw a fairy in Ireland with my own eyes and couldn't blink her away as imaginary, no matter how hard I tried. Their life spand average hundreds of years, and Lilith is said to be 4,500 years old. Her power allows her to travel with ease from the Frist Level to Earth to the Other Side if she chooses to. Neither she nor the other First Level beings ever reincarnate- they're a seperate, independant phylum, with no need to advance, but they're every bit as valued a creation of God's as we are.
For practical purposes here on earth, we can use Lilith as one of our most valuable untapped resources. She is loving, vigilant, and formidible protector of our children and animlas and eager to help when they're in touble or missing if we just call on her. She is, however, a force, a brilliant champion of ours with an undeserved mythical reputation for evil, and for bearing legions of the devil's children, and for being so contrary that she was banished from the Garden of Eden, and for being the ruination of thw world- which, when you stand back and take a long, objective look, hints at widespread aknowlegement that, tabloid headlines aside, there's nothing mythical about the power, the impact and the very exsistance of Lilith herself."

So, what do you think? Is she awesome or what?
By the way, I just laughed so hard because as I was typing this from my book, my mom was sitting on the couch opposite me and I just happened to catch a little bit of the movie she was watching. It was about a succubus, named Lillith!
:roll:
[SnowRaven]

Post by [SnowRaven] »

Thanks for typing that out!

I've always respected and admired her - she has chutzpah! She is the Goddess I would recommend to women who are under a man's thumb. On a side note - I took my husband to Lilith Fair years ago and he was like the ONLY guy at the concert. Snicker. Wonder if she is Sarah McLaughlin's patroness??? :lol:
[SnowRaven]

Post by [SnowRaven] »

Yes, I tend to view her as Adam's first wife as well. She would not submit to him and left him. Eve being created to be subsurviant.... blech.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”