The Charge of Odin

Talk about anything you want to here.
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Thank you, Judge. I suck at finding the right words on the fly. I have chronic aphasia. Ironic that I'm a writer, no? But I find them... eventually. Thanks again.

"Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it, Those who fail to learn history correctly, why they are just doomed."
I love it! Can I quote you on that, or are you quoting someone else??? :D

(I've heard the first part before...)
Wolf*

Post by Wolf* »

jcrowfoot wrote:Wolf, at risk of closing the barn door after the horsie has fled...

chill out.

First of all, Shaman here is learning how to choose his battles, and we can't lunge out of the gates fully formed as Athena (and others) have been blessed to have done.

Have you ever heard of stratigic retreat? Yes, it's not a thing the folk of the North like to talk about, but strategies like these are part of the reason why good vikings didn't like odin's warriors (wolf shirts) to begin with. (some even debate if the wolf shirts didn't belong to Loki instead) Thor was the berzerker.

I can't imagine that shaman won't get stronger through all this learning experience.
I will not chill while one is claiming the title of warrior without acting as a warrior should. If he was to say that he was striving to eventually become a warrior, that might be acceptable, but even that is pushing it. And besides that, if he wishes to become a warrior of Odin then it is true he must learn the the ways of Odins warriors, and cowardice and retreating are not a part of it.

The Ulfhedinn loki's? The Wolf Coats are warriors of the Allfather and have no connection to Loki. It is Odin that has blessed and cursed us with the berserkergangr, it is his spirit that fills us during our frenzy, it is his hall that we will dine in when we are killed. Loki is not our god. And Thor was not a berserk, I wanna see evidence of this. Never in the lore does it speak of Thor having any symptom of the gangr other than his fiery temper.
---Wolf---

"And a godlike man--a man who is pure force--inaccessible to any compromise--is called a hero."
The Judge

Post by The Judge »

Go ahead, I got it from the intro to one of the Andromeda episodes, great quotes. I was going to use it but found the ones I'm using now were a bit better.:)
Do not attempt, Achieve
Do not hear, Listen
Do not go blindly forward, See
Do not judge, Understand
Do not forget, for in this you shall learn nothing
-The Judge
Shaman of Bliss
Banned Member

Post by Shaman of Bliss »

you know, for the first time in my life, I can't deal. Its weird, I've always been able to deal with anything, and everything. I can't deal with everything right now, too much.

I apologies Wolf, I am not a warrior, in fact I don't even really know Odin.

I'm 17, a waste of a human being... I suppose.

I guess in order to deal ill fall back on an old method, one I thought i'd put to bed, being blah abut everything.

So again i'm sorry that I offended the title of warrior, really I am.

Apologies to Odin, whom I have dsigraced.

And most of all apologies to Pagans everywhere, I don't seem to have given them a good rap either.

I guess ill just deal by removing my self from caring, starting with love, and working my way on through my soul, stopping to completely wipe out my mind.

Until next time, although I fear I will be very drab...

Shaman of Bliss,

OH WAIT! I've also insulted Shamans everywhere by having this screen name, *light bulb moment* Ill just kill myself! The dead don't get offended easily do they?!? I hear that they are pretty chill...
juliaki

Post by juliaki »

Shaman Of Bliss wrote:The dead don't get offended easily do they?!?
It depends on the dead that you're working with. Some of the spirits I've worked with are very cooperative, and some of them....well.... there's a reason why they're staying good and dead, I suppose. ;)
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

Too early morning for me but all I can say is that better be a f*cking joke!
And never apologise if you're not wrong ... not even in jest.
ATraveller
Banned Member

Post by ATraveller »

Wolf wrote: I will not chill while one is claiming the title of warrior without acting as a warrior should. If he was to say that he was striving to eventually become a warrior, that might be acceptable, but even that is pushing it. And besides that, if he wishes to become a warrior of Odin then it is true he must learn the the ways of Odins warriors, and cowardice and retreating are not a part of it.
Yeah, well, that's why the joke is in Iceland that they're actually descendants of the slaves that worked the farms and kept things running while the brave vikings were out getting vital limbs chopped off (dont' tell that to an icelander though!)

The thing to remember about Odin is that he was collecting warriors for that last final battle. So, if you were his favorite, you might well find yourself at the loosing end of a sword ... that was kinda the point. Old folks who croak in their beds are not welcome.

Now, I agree that retreating was never an option, nor was not killing anyone who'd slighted you in the least, even if it was one chance word decades earlier (Read the Laxdæla Saga), but then, that was the spirit back then. Yes, there are things to be learnt from it, but have we not come a long way since?

And Eretik, I'll respectfully agree to disagree with you at any time - I deeply respect your fire and your courage. We are not so far apart though - I'm just more of a coward aka. strategic retreatist kind of person! ;)

Skál,

A
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

I tend to agree with juniper on this.
Wolf - whilst I admire and respect your outlook and opinions - chill out.

It is not for you or anyone to say to Shaman he has no right to call himself a warrior. Heck he can call himself what he wants.
Everyone starts out on their path young, niave (not that I'm saying you are Shaman) and uneducated.
The lessons each of us learn in our lives is what goes towards shaping us as people - and that isn't set in stone.
It is likely to change a thousand times.

Shaman is on his right path.
Why?
Because it is his path and he will walk it his way.
I can't imagine that shaman won't get stronger through all this learning experience.
And that is one very valid point.
Shaman of Bliss
Banned Member

I am not going to kill myself, just well as said before, my mind is in a fog.
The Judge

Post by The Judge »

'kay so we got that straightened out, don't even joke about that, please, it isn't funny, it strikes close to home with me.

Also, Sobek if you could please edit your post, I believe cursing wasn't allowed according to the rules.:)

Shaman, there's no reason to give up, the path to becoming a warrior isn't easy and it's a long road that you have to commit yourself to, don't let others get you down, I don't know what got you here to this state of mind, but need I remind you that a warrior never gives up before the job is done? Here is the US Armies "Soldier's Creed" it is what I live my life by as a soldier and a warrior:

The Soldier's Creed

I am an American Soldier.
I am a Warrior and a member of a team. I serve the people of the United States and live the Army Values.

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills. I always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself.
I am an expert and I am a professional.
I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy the enemies of the United States of America in close combat.
I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.
I am an American Soldier.

This isn't all relevant to you but you shouldpay the most attention to the center four lines:

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

This is know as the warrior ethos and is basically a code to live by for soldiers, but it also works well for warriors of all types.:)

Hope this helps you a bit, I am trying to help but since I know little about what's going on I'm shooting in the dark (without my NVG's:(. :lol: )

Blessed Be, and good night.
Do not attempt, Achieve
Do not hear, Listen
Do not judge, Understand
-The Judge
Kolohe
Banned Member

Post by Kolohe »

Berserkers are really not that difficult to defeat.
If you fight smart you may not even break a sweat.

From Sun Tzu's The Art of War

Energy may be likened to the bending of a crossbow; decision, to the releasing of a trigger. Amid the turmoil and tumult of battle, there may be seeming disorder and yet no real disorder at all; amid confusion and chaos, your array may be without head or tail, yet it will be proof against defeat. Simulated disorder postulates perfect discipline, simulated fear postulates courage; simulated weakness postulates strength. Hiding order beneath the cloak of disorder is simply a question of subdivision; concealing courage under a show of timidity presupposes a fund of latent energy; masking strength with weakness is to be effected by tactical dispositions. Thus one who is skillful at keeping the enemy on the move maintains deceitful appearances, according to which the enemy will act. He sacrifices something, that the enemy may snatch at it.

and

All warfare is deception.

Kolohe
I am not afraid of the dark...I am the Boogeyman.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

The Judge wrote:Also, Sobek if you could please edit your post, I believe cursing wasn't allowed according to the rules.Smile
Who the hell do you think you are telling me to edit my post! Two little things. The first of them is called free speach. The second, in reference to rules does not outlaw swearing, only the excess of it so unless I say f*ck every two words mind your own god damn business! I can care for my friend and I can use whatever bloody language I please in doing so.

Thankyou.

Righto Odin, give yourself time to heal ... then get back to your life ... apathy might be comfortable ... but we both know it doesnt help matters properly.
The Judge

Post by The Judge »

Sorry, no offense intended, I just don't like seeing people swear if I respect them. Once agian, I apologize, no offense was intended.
Do not attempt, Achieve
Do not hear, Listen
Do not judge, Understand
-The Judge
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

No need to apologise ... sensorship just makes me really touchy :P
Shaman of Bliss
Banned Member

I didn't know you cared so much Sobek *would shed tears but warriors aren't allowed*

I am well, just over whelemed, to much to think about, my brain is getting worked up trying to deal with all the work load of school, and trying to balance what I want, and what needs to get done, which as of now is a lot. lol.

I'd like to take time to heal, but I can't even journey, I havn't been able to meditate or journey for a week now. There is too much going through my head to hit the "butter" zone and sink away into the astral plane. Its so frustrating that my mind is constantly going like a freight train.

I've never felt this way before, there has always been a way to find solace and peace within myself...

Return to “Member's Rants and Ramblings”