Atlantis

General chit chat and discussions here.
All are welcome!
Sobek
Banned Member

Atlantis

Post by Sobek »

Long story short, I thought it would be interesting to start a post about Atlantis and see if we have believers / criticisers or you know ... whatever, thoughts, thoeries about the ancient society and it's downfall and the whole ideaology behind the Utopia / Dystopia theme(Seperate and further extended discussion, but I saw no reason they couldn't go together)

Gaia

Post by Gaia »

I like to think that it's true, but I have to be skeptical and ask where the proof is. For fun, I might just research it sometime.
Wolf*

Post by Wolf* »

Atlantis is actually the sunken city of R'lyeh where Cthulhu waits dreaming, I thought everyone knew that :P

Actually though, no idea. I really never put too much thought into atlantis.
---Wolf---

"And a godlike man--a man who is pure force--inaccessible to any compromise--is called a hero."
lucy_san_elfenlied

Post by lucy_san_elfenlied »

Haven't really thought about it before. So I can't really say whether I believe or not. Sounds like a very interesting topic and as Wolf posted there seems to be a reason for Atlantis already.

-Teigan
Mycroft
Banned Member

Post by Mycroft »

Weird...I just saw a documentary on it. Why do people always blame aliens? Seriously. The Atlantians are supposedly aliens who later on created all the important structures of the world...

Considering that a whole world opens after the Gibraltar Pass, it would be too hard to pinpoint 'it's true and it's there' or not. It's too far away anyway to have come in contact with Egypt, where the rumor started and who would have traveled so far anyway?

Knowing you, you already have an idea in mind. So give us debate material. :P
Szette

Post by Szette »

I watched something on tv just a few nights ago about atlantis! They were saying that it was an island off of Greece or Crete, my memory is a little foggy this early. Anyway they were saying that going off of what Pluto, I think, had written about it they believe they may have found it. And that earthquakes and tital waves are what destroyed it! But then again, people are so anxious to find Atlantis that they think every ancient ruin is it!!!!
Blessed Be,
Szette
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Why do people always blame aliens?
Because people will think they are crazy if they say Gods, angels or spirits. :P

Aliens are The New Hope for the scientifically wacked. :D

They blame Aliens for the Pyramids, too... humans just can't cut stone that precisely on their own. :roll: Though I wouldn't rule out suggestions from spirits or wise old Imhotep from beyond the grave. :P

I think Atlantis (or something like it) did exist, but I think like any story, the details got more rediculous as time went on. Hey, they found Troy, and for years reasonable people thought it was merely mythical.

HOWEVER.

If you say Mu or Lemuria I swear I'll commit digital homicide. :twisted:

Personally, that rediculous stuff probably happened on the spirit plane or something like that.
Wolf*

Post by Wolf* »

How many times must I say Cthulhu or R'lyeh untill someone believes me? :cry:

lol :P
---Wolf---

"And a godlike man--a man who is pure force--inaccessible to any compromise--is called a hero."
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

Wolf wrote:How many times must I say Cthulhu or R'lyeh untill someone believes me? :cry:

Ah, don't fret Wolf :P Squid Sanctuary is more believable than some of the stuff out there :P

As a youngen, My imagination would just fly, and I came up with this story that Poseidon created Atlantis, and rose it to the surface, and then later reclaimed it for the merpeople :p ... [Nostalgia] ah to be young again [/nostalgia]
Charmed:_I'm_Sure

Post by Charmed:_I'm_Sure »

I read a book once that said the found Atlantis near Santonrini. But I'm not sure.

The book also said Atlantis was destroyed by a nearby volcano....
watershield
Banned Member

Post by watershield »

The problem with your idea wolf is that R'lyeh was supposed to have been in the Pacific Ocean while Atlantis was supposed to lie within a three day sailing from the pillars of Hucules (Straight of Gibralter).

The stroy was told by word of mouth for many years so the details will have changed. So there is no way to know what the truth really was.
However there is evidence of floods world wide and we also know that as the last ice age ended and the seas rose with the melting of the polar caps, many cities / civilizations were lost to the water.

However if you do Google Earth, you can find a formation in the Atlantic Ocean, North and West of England that fits the dicription of the Island nation.
The mind is a window to the universe, but for many the window is closed
Truth is unique, it seldom has meaning for anyone other than the one who speaks it.
My opinion is my own. I am willing to share it, though you are not required to accept it.
nini

Post by nini »

ha ha ha. so much for atlantis, but how about bermuda triangle? any idea? in the place where i am, some believed that anyone who is inclined with the craft and magic "might" have been a descendant of the bermuda triangle people? :roll:

what do you say?
If you haven't the strength to impose your own terms upon life, you must accept the terms it offers you. - TS Elliot
watershield
Banned Member

Post by watershield »

Llyods of London has done studies on such areas for many many years.
From the view of the insurance company, there are no more sinkings or crashes in the area known as the Burmuda Triangle as any place else.

Some of the odd activity there such as boiling seas and strange lights at night is known to be the result of methayn gas.
All over the world there are hugh pockets of methayn. Off the coast of B.C. there's a hugh Block of frozen methayn to deep to be "mined". Periodically, a chunk breaks off and comes to the surface. As it rises, it returns to a gas state. Several fishermen have been in the vacinity during such events. Some have died and some in hospital from the poisoning.

In the area of Burmuda, the water is much shallower so when a pocket vents, the sea boils and any boat caught in it losses bouancy and can swamp. At night the methayn is luminecent and under certain condition can ignite giving people miles away an interesting light show.

No misteries, just lots of hollywood.... :D
The mind is a window to the universe, but for many the window is closed
Truth is unique, it seldom has meaning for anyone other than the one who speaks it.
My opinion is my own. I am willing to share it, though you are not required to accept it.
[EarthWitch]

Post by [EarthWitch] »

I love a little hollywood every now and then...hehe
...not all who wander are lost... (tolkein)

I am the daughter of Earth and Water
and the nursling of the sky-
I pass through the pores of the oceans and shores
I change, but I never die.
-shelley-
nini

Post by nini »

:lol: thanks watershed. i just i can go to bermuda triangle and find out if there are people living in the place and see by myself if they are really practising puri-puri (black magick in my place) : :roll:
If you haven't the strength to impose your own terms upon life, you must accept the terms it offers you. - TS Elliot

Return to “For Everyone”