Crystal and Stone Info

Discussion and questions about the magical properties and uses of crystals and stones.
mommylucienne85

Crystal and Stone Info

Post by mommylucienne85 »

Hey there, all!

So, is anyone else having difficulty with identifying stones and crystals you come across? I can’t just go out and buy or order crystals and stones online, so I am always on the lookout for stones and crystals throughout my day-to-day. I have acquired several stones and crystals that just felt worth picking up, but other than simple white/clear quartz I am finding it impossible to identify my finds or to be able to research them and their possible magical uses. Any suggestions for where to turn? My device’s camera is broken so Google image search is out, and I tried Scott Cunningham’s Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem, and Metal Magic but without pictures it’s impossible to determine if any one is a match for the one I’m looking for at any given time. Also, a lot of images I find of various stones are tumbled and polished or cut, and mine are all rough, so it is sometimes difficult to make a visual match. For example, I was walking my dog earlier and found a black stone just sitting atop the snow, covered in just enough of a dusting of snow that I couldn’t get a good look at it, even brushing it off, so I brought it in and ran it under water. It is smooth-cornered triangular, opaque black with silver flecks and streaks of gold running through it. It has a warm energy to the touch, and I can feel the vibrations of the stone in my hands. However, when I tried to research it, I can find several that look right, or close to right if they were unpolished like mine, but I have no clue what it is or how to find out. Any suggestions?

On a related note, does anyone know of places to contact for free stones or crystals or how I can get my hands on stones and crystals other than those I can find around my home and neighborhood? I appreciate any help and look forward to the point in my journey when I can pay it forward to someone else in need of something I no longer need.

Thanks to all who respond and Blessed Be. :)
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Re: Crystal and Stone Info

Post by RosieMoonflower »

Well yes, I can relate a bit. It would seem that I bought some stone that I cannot identify. I'm sure it was marked when I bought it but that's been a while back and I found the stone in a drawer recently and had forgotten about it altogether. One, in particular, is a beautiful polished green stone with black specks and some sort of silver-white veining. And when I google search, there are multiple options and it can be difficult to tell the different similar stones apart and know exactly what I have.

If you're collecting stones from your environment maybe you would have more luck using the name of your town and county that you find them in when google searching? I wonder if the agricultural co-op in your state could help identify locally sourced stones?

Return to “Crystals and Gemstones”