ASMR : Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response

Dreams, dream interpretation, sleep paralysis, night terrors, hearing voices, vibrations, etc.
Sakura Blossom

ASMR : Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response

Post by Sakura Blossom »

I haven't ever done an informational post before, so please bear with me on my first attempt! Haha!

This is something that can and has helped many people with insomnia, anxiety and other stressful situations as well. It is great for calming the mind during meditations too! (:

What is ASMR?

You know when you listen to music, and you just LOVE the song because of its beauty and perfection, you break out in goosebumps all over your body? Or how about when you listen to someone's voice that is deep and sultry, that just seems to really soothe the soul and makes you tingle all over? These things jut make you feel GOOD and you want more of it! Chances are, you're experiencing ASMR.

ASMR, otherwise known as the Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response, is a pleasant sensation that follows stimulation from something that you enjoy hearing or even feeling. Sometimes, use of the other senses can result in this phenomenon but the most common triggers (as they are called) are usually sound and touch.

Some common triggers are:

- Personal attention (such as getting your haircut)
- Massage
- Crinkling sounds (like plastic bags being squished)
- Brushing (such as with a paint brush either on the skin or something that makes a noise, like paper bags)
- Whispering/Soft spoken voices
- Accents

Unfortunately, there isn't any substantial proof that this exists, save for the community of 'Tingle Heads' as they are called, who have all spoken up to experiencing this interesting sensation.

The ASMR Community

A lot of the people who make up this community suffer from some sort of problem, and use this as a means to relax themselves. ASMR videos have been used as a therapeutic approach at anxiety, mood disorders, stress in life, insomnia, and even just a hard day at work. They have been known to completely numb the mind and help yourself relax.

It has garnered quite a bit of media coverage recently, as more and more people are starting to be drawn towards it and finding themselves able to finally chill out and not be bothered by their life's problems.

A majority of the people who enjoy this feeling gather on YouTube, where you can find many videos that are made specifically to generate this response. However, it has become a common misconception after seeing some of these videos that they are meant for something other than relaxation. In reality, these videos are incredibly innocent and just meant for the purpose of relaxation and nothing more. If you were to just randomly stumble upon one of these videos, however, it's easily understood why this misconception exists.

Some of the popular YouTubers who create these videos are:

- MassageASMR
- TheWaterWhispersIlse
- Gentle Whispering
- The One Lilium

ASMR Videos

There are many types of videos, so many in fact that I can't get into all of them here but I will share the top three that are used, as many of the videos usually fall under these three categories:

- Binaural (which means it changes the sound on each headphone, as if you were actually there listening to it
- Strictly Sounds/Strictly Soft Spoken or Whispering as well as a mixture of both sound and voice
- Roleplays (which is the video maker posing as someone, recreating scenarios that typically cause ASMR to occur such as visiting the hair salon or going for a doctor's visit)

Many people, like myself, like to play these videos in the background while you sleep as 'white noise'. It is also a great way to unwind after a long, stressful day by sitting and relaxing while listening to one of these videos.

How do I find my trigger?

To find your trigger, the best way is to think about times you may have felt this sensation and keep track in your daily life of things that bring these tingles to fruition. Another way is to just go onto YouTube and search through there with the key word of ASMR to find something that may or may not help you find yours. You may also try looking through the video collections under the YouTubers listed above.

Unfortunately, however, some people do not experience this and may not ever find something that allows them to feel it. The most you can do is just try and see what you find!

The Future of ASMR

It is unclear what will happen with this phenomenon, and it has yet to be fully tested from a scientific aspect. However, a neurologist posted in a blog he manages that it should be investigated more and use machines such as MRIs to see how the brain reacts with the stimuli that results in ASMR.

With how many people are starting to use this method of relaxation, it wouldn't be surprising if it started being included within spas and other places that are used for relaxation purposes. It remains unclear, however, when this day might come.

I hope this was somewhat informative and can help you find something that might allow for better sleep and relaxation.

I wish you the best of luck should you decide to look into this! (:

(To ensure my information was correct, I did use the Wikipedia entry on this topic to ensure I was on the right track, just to cite a source. Hehe. (: )
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ASMR : Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response

Post by Firebird »

I have not experienced the tingly feeling...yet,
but I do find the videos with gentle music, crackling fire, and thunderstorms with rain to be quite soothing. :fairy:
Chick's with taping fingernails though, do not. >shrug<
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Dreaming and Sleep”