Mabon/Autumn Equinox 2022?

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
Lune

Mabon/Autumn Equinox 2022?

Post by Lune »

There's a loose collection of various pagans in my area that get together for the sabbats, we hold circle and have a potluck, and then we scatter again to the winds; I'll be attending that ritual but I'm also intending to have my own in private.

In addition, I will be spending extra time that day with my garden. I'll harvest, and cut back. I'll keep my gratitude front in my mind as I work: these plants have done so much for me, you know? We worked together for them to thrive, and in return they gave me their flowers and their vegetables, their fruits and their roots. I generally talk to plants, my garden in particular, but this is different. For most of these plants, on the autumnal equinox I am their Reaper and with my sickle I'll take more than leaves and fruit -- and that's something I don't take lightly. In this moment I get the chance to understand the weight of the cycle of life and death: how heavy the sickle, how free the soul?

Then I dial myself back to reality to clean up. I separate healthy cut greens from anything I'd turn my nose up at, and the healthy greens go to compost (and maybe I 'accidentally' drop some for the wild bunnies. Oops!). I like to sit in the garden after that, if the mosquitos will let me, and observe. There's a lot going on out here that has nothing to do with me, is not concerned with me, and does not even consider me when I am not present and when I'm quiet and still I get to see it. If I'm really lucky, I get to be part of it when the bees investigate my sweat, or a jumping spider uses me for a momentary perch.

That said, as hot as it's been the last few years, I anticipate continuing to tend my garden and harvest from it well into November, so I'll probably *also* be planting a few last-minute seeds too. My confused tomatoes last year were still trying to put out fruit in December because we hadn't had a hard frost, temperatures were still above freezing at night, and in the day it was high-60's, low-70's! The tomatoes wouldn't fully ripen, so I ended up frying and pickling a lot of green tomatoes.

What are your plans? How do you usually celebrate? Are you looking forward to it?
supremz

Re: Mabon/Autumn Equinox 2022?

Post by supremz »

I usually wait til Samhain to celebrate anything, but that seems like loads of fun!! I can't believe you do things like that (then again, that may be more due to me living under a rock)! That gives me a lot of inspiration to do similar things. I hope you don't mind being a creative influence on me... ::coolglasses::
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Omg, you do pickling? I love it!
We usually have our own version of burning man at that time, frequently he is made with cattails as a base then other garden harvest leftovers like corn stalks and other trimmings, then he is also adorned with messages of release and gratitude, several songs and a spiral dance to charge him up and the bon fire is lit! Sending our magic up with the flames.
Not sure what's happening this Mabon because I think we're in 3 or more different towns this year and it's not my circle to lead this time, probably be a zoom ritual. :?
Bb,
F.
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SilverMoon22

Post by SilverMoon22 »

Hello all, I ran across this video. Alwyn has a very soothing voice. I like some of her ideas for Mabon, but as I am still learning, and haven't celebrated on my own yet, I am wondering if this video is a good place to start, along with your posts.

Lune

Post by Lune »

supremz wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:47 pm I usually wait til Samhain to celebrate anything, but that seems like loads of fun!! I can't believe you do things like that (then again, that may be more due to me living under a rock)! That gives me a lot of inspiration to do similar things. I hope you don't mind being a creative influence on me... ::coolglasses::
I'm honored!! I’m really trying to throw myself back into things, taking time where I can, and since I have to do a lot of the cutting back in the garden anyway I figure I should try to make it a spiritually fulfilling time too. :D
Firebird wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:21 am Omg, you do pickling? I love it!
We usually have our own version of burning man at that time, frequently he is made with cattails as a base then other garden harvest leftovers like corn stalks and other trimmings, then he is also adorned with messages of release and gratitude, several songs and a spiral dance to charge him up and the bon fire is lit! Sending our magic up with the flames.
Not sure what's happening this Mabon because I think we're in 3 or more different towns this year and it's not my circle to lead this time, probably be a zoom ritual. :?
Bb,
F.
Yes! I just got into pickling a few years ago, but I’ve been canning preserves for a little while. My grandma was big on gardening and “putting back” canned goods and I got into helping as a kid.

I love the cattail and corn stalk burning man! I hope whatever your plans end up being, that it’s a wonderful time!
SilverMoon22 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:22 pm Hello all, I ran across this video. Alwyn has a very soothing voice. I like some of her ideas for Mabon, but as I am still learning, and haven't celebrated on my own yet, I am wondering if this video is a good place to start, along with your posts.
Thank you!! Her altar ideas are very lovely and inspiring. :)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Omg, it's a coming up quick!
Turns out I'll be driving on the actual day, so will do the celebrating Friday or Saturday.
Probably bake some bread, the weather has finally turned a bit cooler...after that epic heat wave, ugh, that was horrible.
The scent in the air feels like autumn, but it also feels like mourning...as much as the shift is a magical marker in time, it makes me sad. Does anyone else feel like that?.
Bb, Firebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
supremz

Post by supremz »

Happy Mabon, everyone. :)
Nerys

Post by Nerys »

Happy Mabon 2022 to everyone.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Blessed Autumnal Equinox everyone!
Take some time to do the Janus head meditation, look forward and back, what do you wish to change, what should remain the same?
Bb, Firebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”