Secular Witch looking for some extra guidance

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
IsaacIcarus

Secular Witch looking for some extra guidance

Post by IsaacIcarus »

Hello all, haven't posted in years, but I'm getting back into my craft and I have some questions. I'm pretty much a secular witch, I don't call on any Gods or Goddesses when I do my work, but I did feel a slight pull to the Baltic Goddess Ragana. I don't have any Baltic heritage, but I couldn't find any information online whether or not regard for Ragana (I wouldn't plan on worshiping her, it's not my deal and doesn't seem to really be hers) is a closed practice or not. I don't want to be appropriative or engage in behavior that would be offensive to the culture she is from. I would really only look to her when I need to give my spells a little extra oomph, including reciting spells in Latvian out of respect, and give her offerings in return for her help, rather than full on worship. Does anyone here know about her, or where I might find more resources to look into how to be as respectful as possible? Or should I just stick to secular practice, calling on the entities of my heritage (Scottish/Irish and German) when need be, just to be safe, even though I feel little to no connection to them? Appreciate any help y'all can give!
Anubisa
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Re: Secular Witch looking for some extra guidance

Post by Anubisa »

You can always call upon a deity you feel close to. It just doesn't have to be a heritage. I worship Lord Anubis and yet my background is Celtic, American Indian, and Hungarian. To put it plainly, I'm white. There are plenty of people out there, like me, who worship deities of Egypt and yet they are not of Egyptian descent. As long as you are respectful then there should be no problem.
Anubisa
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Some of us don't even know their heritage, like Anubisa mentioned respect is important. Keep in mind some folks don't feel they need to have a one on one relationship with the God's.
I have no information on this deity but I did find some references to Baltic lore here,
viewtopic.php?p=153285#p153285

Bye the way, so good to see you again!
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
IsaacIcarus

Post by IsaacIcarus »

Firebird wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:49 am I have no information on this deity but I did find some references to Baltic lore here,
viewtopic.php?p=153285#p153285

Bye the way, so good to see you again!
Bb, Firebird
Thanks! It's good to be back. After some more research, there is a lot of debate over whether Ragana is a Goddess at all. Maybe it's just not for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Appreciate the help!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

There are energies out there named and unnamed, if you feel called to work with something keep exploring, there are spelling differences sometimes and then there are those who may not land in the "God/dess zone like Merlin for instance, who may still offer wisdom.
Blessings,
Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”