Making an altar table, advice.

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
sylphaxiom

Making an altar table, advice.

Post by sylphaxiom »

I'm looking to build my own altar table. I want to incorporate my Zen Buddhism and love of Japanese culture into this table as well. I have some design ideas, but I want to make my choice of wood and stains (I'm thinking a dark stain) matter. Does anyone have any good suggestions for types of wood and possibly even stains I can use?
May the Gods be with you, and the hand of Fate be a gentle touch to guide you.
RavenClaw

Re: Making an altar table, advice.

Post by RavenClaw »

I don't know what your budget is for the wood but here goes for an idea that might be helpful. Trees have different associations and energy. It's possible for a wood product to remain connected with the tree spirit, not only the tree it came from, but all the trees of that species. Off the top of my head, I thought of two. Oak is associated with strength, longevity and wisdom. Willow is associated with water, the moon and emotion. There's quite a bit of info on tree lore and what they're associated with. Or maybe bamboo which is strong and flexible would suit your current theme.

Good luck with your project!
Knowledge without understanding is not wisdom. (An excerpt from a message I channeled from a Deity.)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

That sounds like a fun project.
I have often wanted to make something that would be more pure didn't have metal in it, so it would have to be made with pegs. Then I would want a natural finish like beeswax. Someday... (as she sits and puffs away at that pipe, and smoky vision encircle the head)
Birch is a pretty wood but it is light in color and not sure how it would take a dark stain. and oak is nice even without stain, many woods darken up when you finish them even with out stain. Walnut would be naturally dark.
I actually recently finished a portable altar (the legs come off) that has a decorative painted surface. I used water soluble oil color for the picture and water based varnish...boy do I love that easier clean up! It doesn't yellow either, so you may want to consider that.
Keep us posted :)
bb, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

I sadly lack the skill, tools and space for dedicated carpentry, however here is one of my more recent upcycling projects.

It was an old occasional table with a dropleaf top (two wings) - you spin the top to put it up. The leafs had started falling apart due to water damage (it has been left outside and neglected) but on removing the hinges it had enough of a 'torii' vibe to encourage me to fill the hinge gouges and sand off all the heavy dark varnish.

I was considering staining it but after an experiment with beeswax decided it had more character to leave it as is.

It has since become a minimalist altar / foci.

(the attached picture doesn't do it justice).
Attachments
IMG_24082021_105357_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
NeverMoonAWerewolf

Post by NeverMoonAWerewolf »

Very cool.

Anything that works for you,really. For example, my main altar is in my bedroom, and it has a Buddha statue on the top shelf and pictures pf Freya and Bast,laminated, on another altar right under it.
Nerys

Post by Nerys »

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”