Is snakeskin a bad omen?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
ghoty123

Is snakeskin a bad omen?

Post by ghoty123 »

Hello!! I had some problems in my family and yesterday I found a snakeskin behind my front door of the house on the inside. No one got inside the house in the past 2-3 days, only my grandpa lives there, and we found it behind the door a pretty long one. Some people want to harm us because of a divorce when we found the snakeskin we tried to burn it and it burned so slow u can't believe this, it just wouldn't catch on fire!!! We tried more and after like 2-3 minutes over a big fire it started to get aflame but the flames would stop as soon as u got it out of the fire, then we threw it back on it and after a while it burned. I really wanna know what this means, its black magic?? How could that skin get inside? We searched for a snake in the house but there was none, and besides that my grandpa always cleans the house so that snakeskin was found in the day that appeared. Please help me... I don't want trouble...
Last edited by Firebird on Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added more descriptive title Also, Please mind your punctuation and refrain from yelling at us by using large print
Black Cloud

Re: Hello, I need URGENT help please!

Post by Black Cloud »

You should have thrown the snake skin into running water. (i.e. stream or river)
"People with a high tolerance for boredom can get a lot of thinking done." -Stephen King
“For every woman is at heart a witch.” -Charles Leland
“Men argue, nature acts.” -Voltaire
“Our life is the creation of our mind.” -Buddha
“Any person capable of angering you becomes your master.” -Epictetus
“Facts don’t cease to exist because they are ignored.” -Aldous Huxley
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Help you in what way & do you practice any magic yourselfF?

See this website about snake skin‘s protective magical uses and calm down 🙂
Pagan priestesses were once pythonesses as the snake is the guise of the earth goddess.

https://www.learnreligions.com/snakeski ... =pinterest

I’ve copied it below.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Wigington, Patti. "Snakeskin Magic." Learn Religions, Jul. 23, 2020, learnreligions.com/snakeskin-household-magic-2561458.

(While it is against the rules to go in depth on the subject,) historically many spiritual traditions have used various animal parts in magic and ritual. Fortunately, snakes shed their skin all on their own – if you encounter a snakeskin shed, it's because the snake left it behind, so you can feel free to use it as you wish.

While a lot of people are afraid of snakes, it's important to remember that in many cultures, serpent mythology is strongly tied to the cycle of life, death and rebirth. Because of these associations, it comes in handy in magic related to transformation, protection, and other themes.

In some forms of Hoodoo and folk magic, snakeskin is dried and then ground into a fine powder, sometimes referred to as "snake dust." You can either do this, or you can use a full piece of snakeskin. In the American south, it is believed that rubbing a bit of snakeskin on your hands can keep you from dropping things. Another legend is that if you carry it in your pocket, it will bring you good luck.

Artist and author Sarah Anne Lawless says,

"In European folk magic snake sheds and other bits can be used for healing and fertility amulets as well as any charms or tools having to do with otherworldly travel. Snakes are sacred to many deities and I like to add powdered snake sheds to incense burned to invoke those deities (Damballah, Hekate, Hermes, Legba, Odin, Veles…)."

Protection Magic
Try using the shed skin in spells related to protection, such as a Protection Witches Bottle, particularly if someone you're having trouble with is afraid of snakes. You can place the skin around your property, guarding the perimeter, to keep these people away.

Consider using a snakeskin or a piece of one in a charm bag with crystals and stones for protection. If you really want to get creative, and the skin is supple enough, make a charm bag out of the skin itself!

If you associate snakes with change and transformation, since they shed their outer layer of skin to reveal a shiny new one, it seems very fitting to use it for transformational spellwork. Use in spells or rituals to help you reinvent yourself into a new, better, stronger person.

Some people use snakeskin in warding spells to keep rodents and other pests out of the larder or pantry – after all, snakes eat rodents! Make a small crocheted bag made of cotton thread and stuff it with protective stones and snakeskin. Scatter several of these bags around in late summer and early fall when rodents are prone to be looking for a winter home.

Transformative Magic
You might want to try using snakeskin in a spell to help you get over something, allowing you to move on from past mistakes, or shed a bad relationship or unhealthy habit. Make a poppet to represent yourself and fill it with little things that remind you of the baggage you're carrying with you – letter clippings, wadded up photos, anything small enough to fit.

Wrap the snakeskin around the poppet as you focus on releasing and shedding the negative feelings. Do this every night for a week, and when the new moon rolls around, take the skin off again and bury it.

More Snakeskin Spellwork
In some cultures, the rattle of a snake is considered a very powerful amulet used to increase wisdom and sexual powers. Wear the rattle as a necklace or carry it in your pocket as a talisman.

Snakes often lay in the sun, so if the skin is durable enough, use it to make a charm bag for crystals and gemstones. Place the bag outside on a sunny day, and allow the energy of the sun to cleans your stones.

You can even use snakeskin in a healing ritual. Make a couple of bath bags out of light cloth, like muslin, and stuff it with healing herbs. Add the snakeskin to represent change and transformation towards good health and wellness. Light a blue candle, to symbolize healing, and visualize illness leaving the body.
ghoty123

Re: Is snakeskin a bad omen?

Post by ghoty123 »

Ok, thank you guys. Yes i practice magick.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Just a suggestion - you could put any remnants of the snake skin to good use against spells & intruders. Use what’s left or If there’s none left then draw a picture of the snake skin, name it “snake skin found by door”, & think of it as though it IS the thing itself; make a sigil if you like, and burn the whole paper. Mix the ash & dirt with a bunch of salt, black pepper, iron filings or rusty iron to repel magical interference. Look up protective herbs and see what you’ve already got on hand to add and mix enough to do the job. Ground, center, pull power to your gut to load-aim-push intent into the mix and sprinkle it across outer door sills, windows and any exterior openings. Incantations are optional. You could look up protection spells for inspiration if you haven’t already. Be calm, fiercely intent, and know it is is so.
TakoNigiri

Post by TakoNigiri »

I don't know much about snakeskin rituals, but I know quite a bit about actual snakes. Snakeskin is oily, as the snakes aren't able to claw their skin off, so it's slicked with oil so they can slither out. Older skins are very dry and a bit brittle, but yours sounded new and supple, and the oils were probably the reason it took so long to burn. A human house is an appealing sanctuary for all animals, as it's heated, quiet and full of places to hide, and I can see a snake trying to hide in your house so it has somewhere safe to shed. I've had snakes in the house before. You should do some research about the snakes in your area or maybe try to find the snake-if it's nonvenomous, it'll probably be more of a boon than anything.

Snakes are often depicted as these vicious, cunning serpents that will bite your ankle and eat you alive given half the chance, but a nonvenomous snake is completely docile and defenseless. Even venomous snakes tend to be quite shy, and South American bushmasters are the only species known to attack unprovoked. That said, snakes are stupid and a bit neurotic, so when you freak out, the snake freaks out, and sometimes, it bites out of fear. Be calm with snakes so they don't run away or attack you! Some species are more bitey than others, and every snake is unique, but you still shouldn't panic if you get bitten by a nonvenomous snake. Just wash it out and nothing will happen. Everyone needs a snake in their yard, and I think being a witch means you'll benefit even more from one.

Not only is a local snake a cruelty-free source of skin for spells, but it'll eat the mice and squirrels in your yard and maybe scare away unwanted guests. It sounded like quite the large snake, which is great, it shouldn't be hard to find. There's a black racer named Nyx in my yard who I've even caught and held a few times. I first met him when he was laying on my fence, completely straightened out, and I caught him. The next time, he lunged out at me while I was walking by a bush before realizing I wasn't a bird and he went back in to hide, but I already saw him. We used to sometimes get rats and voles but he keeps them out, which is good, because once my cat got a huge infected wound from a rat bite, and they are known to spread disease to humans as well. Spiritual or otherwise, there's no reason to think that a nonvenomous snake is a bad omen. If you find it, don't evict or kill it, it will help you immensely! If it is venomous, call animal control or something, but don't kill it and ESPECIALLY don't handle it yourself. Local snake populations are going down and we need to preserve nature, even the venomous species.

If it WAS left there by a person, then yeah, that's absolutely a threat. If you know your relatives do magick as well, then you might be in trouble. Otherwise, don't worry. There are easier ways to tell someone you hate them than breaking and entering undetected just to leave an ominous gift, and even so, they probably would've hurt you, stolen or broken something as well.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”