Krampus/Horned God

Discussion of folklore and myths.
T'a Nuk

Krampus/Horned God

Post by T'a Nuk »

Interesting discussion last night concerning Yule traditions and origins. My buddy brought me a Krampus card! Very cool, quite the thing in the 1800s as I understand it, but I digress.

A little google research on the interweb machine revealed some fascinating lore. It seems that the Christian St. Nick, in the true fashion of the Roman church, rewarded good kids. Nice guy! However, Cosmic Duality demands balance, and nasty urchins must be punished! Soundly! Enter Krampus! Half goat-half devil with a prodigious tongue and a secret lair for torturing and eating children! What better way to get the little darlings to toe the line during the time of year when they spend more time inside with ample opportunity to annoy mom and dad? If the Witch in the woods didn't get you in October, well, just you wait...

If a picture is indeed worth a thousand words, than who is Krampus? If he does actually predate Christianity, then he was defiled by the church later. A forest dweller with horns who keeps company with a saint? Add cloven hooves and a tail, throw some chains around his wrists, (presumably a reference to chaining the devil), and have him commit heinous acts against the innocent, and there you have it, a warning to Pagans everywhere, your beliefs are conquered so jump on board!

Thankfully, Austria has wonderful parades and festivals to honor and venerate Mr. Krampus. One more destination on the bucket list. So light the yule log, pour the mead, and embrace the ever persistent legends of us tree hugging dirt worshipers. GO TEAM K!
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Krampus/Horned God

Post by SpiritTalker »

There was a book several years ago on the shamanic roots of Santa Claus. ... The red and white suit stemming from the amanita muscaria mushroom...how those reindeer can fly...How the coke got in Coca Cola...etc. Gotta love it.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

The "horned god" isn't specified and there is many horned gods. I am assuming you mean Cernunnos? Cer is more of a Celt thing and if it is related, it is very far from direct. Both are highly speculated on, Cernunnos being the most mysterious.

It's kind of how the figure of Perchta is related to Holda and/or Freya, but she is also extremely different.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Masks of misrule is a good book if you havent read it Lil.

Hating to play devils advocate (or not as the case may be) ..

Its not the demonization of a paganism that bothers me, its the fact paganism wasn't just the patsy, it evolved; no simple tool of conversion, it was enlisted to manipulate, dominate and control the flock ... the carrot and the stick, St Nicholas and Krampus, God and the Devil [?]

In cahoots.

-----

Its interesting however, hopeful even (though part of me would suggest satisfying) how it, as a thing, may be evolving into something new again, away from the demons, even the angels, of the past ...

" ... A crown of horns, An image formed deformed"

- Billy Corgan
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I dare say the shadow side of Sinterklaus!
Also known as Ruprecht, definitely a way to keep children in line!
We have a big festival here in called Krampus LA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7guTQ3UjSj4&app=desktop
Last edited by Firebird on Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixing broken video link
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

firebirdflys wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:01 pm I dare say the shadow side of Sinterklaus!
Or indeed like the high and low aspects of Jupiter: The rewarding, selfless divine father and the punative self-interested tyrant.

Where do we really believe the commonly held image of the Christian God comes from; technically it would be considered a graven image? Cromwell did not approve.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

How do you mean Corbin? Like he was all old and wrinkled? Kinda like Krampus?
I often wonder about the images chosen, God...old wrinkled, white haired, wizened, Jesus...young, blond, white, holy ghost, invisible yet shown in the clouds, sheer, vaporous.
Hadn't thought of the Krampus as Jupiter but that makes perfect sense.
Images adapted for the time and era in which they were popular? Because Jesus could not have been a white man.
It's interesting what power we give these images by virtue of physical location, and of location in time.
As a child we were told to be good or Santa wouldn't bring us any toys for X-mas, I think they left out the part that the bad Santa would render discipline. Also to be left coal... a bad thing, yet in an area where you were freezing coal would be a fine gift.
BB, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

oh ya, here is the Krampus LA page. http://krampuslosangeles.com/