I think I had an experience with Pan and could use some advice!!!!

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
ArtemisiaTaelor

I think I had an experience with Pan and could use some advice!!!!

Post by ArtemisiaTaelor »

Hello all!

So, as tonight was the full moon, I decided to cast a spell for the “eradication of white supremacy” and to send empowering energy and protection to the Black Lives Matter movement. I did all the normal stuff; casting a circle, calling quarters, praying to one of my patron deities, Isis, for protection.

Now, I have been a witch for years, but this was my first time using the “Eko Eko Azarak” chant, or use “Io, Evo He” to raise energy while trance dancing (the latter being a call to masculine deity).

As I was dancing and chanting, I felt a very very overwhelming, huge, and intimidating presence behind me, appearing as a masculine silhouette with horns, only his eyes visible. It was quite scary (though he didn’t seem malicious), as I wasn’t expecting this, but I finished the spell. I’ve never really had a connection to the God aspect of deity, and I’m nearly sure it WAS Pan or Cernunnos finally coming through after all these years, but I’m also a bit worried that it could have been an unwelcome negative entity. What do you all think? Has anyone else had an experience like this?
Eleanora

Re: I think I had an experience with Pan and could use some advice!!!!

Post by Eleanora »

...He was probably angry at you for wasting the time of the powers-that-be on something so trivial lol. blue_flee

In all seriousness though, it probably was a malevolent entity. That's why I don't work with deities or any kind of summoning ritual. I have trust issues, and my only two deities are immaterial forces of nature; not actual beings. Any physical personifications of them are merely symbolic representations; not literal entities.

I'd have personally waited for tomorrow when the moon entered it's Waning Gibbous phase to do any kind of destructive magick, then repeated the ritual everyday until the 19th when it finished it's Waning Crescent phase and became a New Moon on the 20th.

Then I would've started the the constructive magick on the 22nd when it became a Waxing Crescent, repeating everyday until the 4th of July, just before it becomes a Full Moon on the 5th.

From what I understand Full Moon's are kind of like neutral ground for spellwork. I'd use full moons for parties and celebrations instead; too much energetic interference for spellwork on full moons for my tastes lol. It's like trying to make a phone call when everyone else is making a phone call at the same time causing all the lines to be busy, so might as well hang up and party because full moons look awesome at night around the bonfire in the woods. :D
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

From experience - It the form felt 'primal' and had a 'gravity' (can't think of a better word to describe it) it would seem likely the horned God.

If you summoned divine energies into a protected circle, you invited him in. Certainly if you cried 'Io evohe' which was an estatics cry to Dionysus / bacchas in his ancient rites.

An intruder? Unless you were clouded by a negative outlook or emotional malaise when entering into your 'workings' then it's unlikely to be an intruder of this type.

Its quite a blessing to meet the horned God. What purpose he had you have yet to discover or develop - a door has been left ajar for you - yet I would imagine it has little to do with the minutia of your actions and everything to do with the foundation and the sentiment... Or you tapped into something primal.

You are not beneath his attention - no-one is, his blood is our blood - whether you are able to channel the higher aspects of his primal energies or fall to the lower (as all deities have high and low aspects) is something you must come to terms with.

Our relationships with deities are not unlike our relationships with people and the dynamics of the relationships you seek are often the ones you find (even if defined subconsciously).

-----
... Then suddenly the Mole felt a great Awe fall upon him, an awe that turned his muscles to water, bowed his head, and rooted his feet to the ground. It was no panic terror—indeed he felt wonderfully at peace and happy—but it was an awe that smote and held him and, without seeing, he knew it could only mean that some august Presence was very, very near. With difficulty he turned to look for his friend, and saw him at his side, cowed, stricken, and trembling violently. And still there was utter silence in the populous bird-haunted branches around them; and still the light grew and grew.

Perhaps he would never have dared to raise his eyes, but that, though the piping was now hushed, the call and the summons seemed still dominant and imperious. He might not refuse, were Death himself waiting to strike him instantly, once he had looked with mortal eye on things rightly kept hidden. Trembling he obeyed, and raised his humble head; and then, in that utter clearness of the imminent dawn, while Nature, flushed with fulness of incredible colour, seemed to hold her breath for the event, he looked in the very eyes of the Friend and Helper; saw the backward sweep of the curved horns, gleaming in the growing daylight; saw the stern, hooked nose between the kindly eyes that were looking down on them humorously, while the bearded mouth broke into a half-smile at the corners; saw the rippling muscles on the arm that lay across the broad chest, the long supple hand still holding the pan-pipes only just fallen away from the parted lips; saw the splendid curves of the shaggy limbs disposed in majestic ease on the sward; saw, last of all, nestling between his very hooves, sleeping soundly in entire peace and contentment, the little, round, podgy, childish form of the baby otter. All this he saw, for one moment breathless and intense, vivid on the morning sky; and still, as he looked, he lived; and still, as he lived, he wondered.

"Rat!" he found breath to whisper, shaking. "Are you afraid?"

"Afraid?" murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love. "Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet—and yet—O, Mole, I am afraid!"

Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.

Sudden and magnificent, the sun's broad golden disc showed itself over the horizon facing them; and the first rays, shooting across the level water-meadows, took the animals full in the eyes and dazzled them. When they were able to look once more, the Vision had vanished, and the air was full of the carol of birds that hailed the dawn.

As they stared blankly, in dumb misery deepening as they slowly realised all they had seen and all they had lost, a capricious little breeze, dancing up from the surface of the water, tossed the aspens, shook the dewy roses, and blew lightly and caressingly in their faces; and with its soft touch came instant oblivion. For this is the last best gift that the kindly demi-god is careful to bestow on those to whom he has revealed himself in their helping: the gift of forgetfulness. Lest the awful remembrance should remain and grow, and overshadow mirth and pleasure, and the great haunting memory should spoil all the after-lives of little animals helped out of difficulties, in order that they should be happy and light-hearted as before.

- Piper at the gates of dawn (wind in the willows)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Sabrynia wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:29 am .He was probably angry at you for wasting the time of the powers-that-be on something so trivial lol
Sabrynia, It is not your place to tell someone what is important to them, that feels pretty judgmental and please refrain from laughing at members for their beliefs. We all are coming from different backgrounds. It's interesting to hear from those who believe there are no Gods, (this is a great thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26271 ) and for those of us who do believe, our experiences are just as valid.

Artemisia, the experience you had sounds similar to one I had about 25 years ago. Imposing but not threatening. The Gods have been known to be a race of Giants in many cases. Whether they held a physical form that was large or the energy they emanated was large, we know by their stories that they had large lessons for us humans, if we choose to listen and understand them and try to apply them in our lives. For me it was Cernunnos, no doubt, as he ended up protecting me through an ordeal on this one particular day.
Corbin wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:41 am I would imagine it has little to do with the minutia of your actions and everything to do with the foundation and the sentiment... Or you tapped into something primal.
I think the primal part is what made this manifest for you Artemisia, deep rooted pain makes the powers that be sit up and take notice. The emotion behind our work is frequently what brings about the most transformative work.

By the way Corbin, very nice paragraphs from a really great book smiley_dance

BB, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Artemisia, I also have had a Pan-encounter with very powerful, non-threatening, non-aggressive Life Presence. I’d invited him and got more than expected. Prior to that I’d had no concept of the reality of “essential vital force”. Something to remember...😂. Definitely not a negative being, but certainly a powerful one, as is right. And scared the spit out of me in the moment. That’s not a bad thing.
Mr Crowley
Banned Member

Post by Mr Crowley »

Sabrynia said, "I'm as liberal as it gets."

Not me!

Love'ya, liberal lady!

Best thing that has happened to this board in a long time!

Will you please stay around?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Last night‘S full Moon was humungous in the local haze. Finally - a use for humidity!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Alas it was overcast here.
On the upside, the cyber circle went really well, and it has been nice seeing folks that would otherwise be excluded due to distance. Now they can "Zoom" in and join us! I imagine the moon viewing will be good tonight because of the patchy clouds. It's nice to watch the moon drift in and out of the patchy nebulous. :fairy:
bb, FF
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
Eleanora

Post by Eleanora »

firebirdflys wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:03 pm Sabrynia, It is not your place to tell someone what is important to them...
I never told anyone such a thing and would appreciate it if you didn't imply that I did. If anything, what I said said more about what's important to me personally than it had anything to do with her beliefs; I couldn't possibly speak upon that because I'm ignorant of her and her beliefs and honestly don't care enough to try to make anybody believe as I do lol. That'd just be silly! :tongueout:
firebirdflys wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:03 pm ...that feels pretty judgmental.
What can I say? I'm kind of a bitch lol. Probably a defense mechanism to keep people from getting too close. :? F'real though, EVERYONE is judgmental; hell you're being judgmental by announcing you feel I'm "judgmental". Not sure about you, but that just strikes my funny bone and makes me laugh lol.
firebirdflys wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:03 pm and please refrain from laughing at members for their beliefs.
That would take way too much effort and stifle my precious soul. :mrgreen:

firebirdflys wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:03 pm We all are coming from different backgrounds.
That's great! smiley_dance
firebirdflys wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:03 pm It's interesting to hear from those who believe there are no Gods, (this is a great thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26271 )
And I agree it's interesting to hear from those who saw a shadowy horned entity behind them while casting a spell to eradicate an immaterial idea and empower a racially motivated political movement. :lol:
firebirdflys wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:03 pm and for those of us who do believe, our e̶x̶p̶e̶r̶i̶e̶n̶c̶e̶s̶ beliefs are just as valid.
What, and mine aren't??? Jk, I know you mean well lol. XD
Eleanora

Post by Eleanora »

Mr Crowley wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:00 pm Sabrynia said, "I'm as liberal as it gets."

Not me!

Love'ya, liberal lady!

Best thing that has happened to this board in a long time!

Will you please stay around?
Aw, thanks; I love you too! smileylove

But I actually said I'm as liberal as they come, if I recall correctly. Seriously; conservatives hate me lol. I'm way too much of a free-thinker for the majority of them. Liberals generally make more sense to me. I shoulda been born in the sixties lol. XD
Sabriyyah

Post by Sabriyyah »

In my early days as a Witch I worked with Pan and had a couple of experiences of his presence which felt very intense and quite intimidating, rather as you describe. A gentle energy he is not, and yet I found him to be a generally benevolent and jovial God despite his wild and unfiltered energetic presence. Some Gods just do have quite a scary energetic feel to them ,at least sometimes - Woden is one whose presence has at times filled me with a terror like I'm about to die, and yet at others he's felt like a very wise and kind teacher. I imagine a deity such as Sekhmet might have such a frightening quality too. For some reason I like and feel drawn to such deities with an "edge" lol!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Woah, hang on there pilgrim, (@Sabrynia) Please look up the definition of trivial and re-read your post and consider how your words could be construed as hurtful
Sabrynia wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:04 pm while casting a spell to eradicate an immaterial idea and empower a racially motivated political movement.
And again it is not your place to say what is immaterial in their (Op's) mind. The reason for her doing the work was important to her. Bottom line.
This is why we have a new no politics rule, though the OP mentioned why she was doing the work, her real question was, is what she experienced during her work, valid. Commentary of opinions in this case as to why she did it is OFF the table.

This is going to be hard I know everyone is feeling strong emotions all the way around these days, so may I again remind folks that we are all connected, we are part of an intricately woven web of existence that connects one to the other, what we do to the web we do to ourselves.
Thank You
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
Eleanora

Post by Eleanora »

....Whatever lol.

I had something longer planned out to write, but you wouldn't get it so it'd just be a waste of time lmao. XD
ArtemisiaTaelor

This is why we have a new no politics rule, though the OP mentioned why she was doing the work, her real question was, is what she experienced during her work, valid. Commentary of opinions in this case as to why she did it is OFF the table.

This is going to be hard I know everyone is feeling strong emotions all the way around these days, so may I again remind folks that we are all connected, we are part of an intricately woven web of existence that connects one to the other, what we do to the web we do to ourselves.
Thank You
Hi!

Thank you for letting me know about the no-politics rule; I haven’t been here in a while. This is a pretty good learning experience for me about the Witch’s power of silence employed after doing magickal workings. Even though I wanted to include as many details from Friday night as possible for context, leaving the purpose of the working out of the post perhaps would have been more prudent for me...

Blessed be
ArtemisiaTaelor

Tanawylfen wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:31 pm In my early days as a Witch I worked with Pan and had a couple of experiences of his presence which felt very intense and quite intimidating, rather as you describe. A gentle energy he is not, and yet I found him to be a generally benevolent and jovial God despite his wild and unfiltered energetic presence. Some Gods just do have quite a scary energetic feel to them ,at least sometimes - Woden is one whose presence has at times filled me with a terror like I'm about to die, and yet at others he's felt like a very wise and kind teacher. I imagine a deity such as Sekhmet might have such a frightening quality too. For some reason I like and feel drawn to such deities with an "edge" lol!
Thanks for sharing your experiences with Pan and Woden! It’s definitely reassuring that other people have had similar experiences with “intense” deities— I don’t want to chicken out if a god comes a-calling lol. Cheers!

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”