New to witchcraft and unsure

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
invisible

New to witchcraft and unsure

Post by invisible »

Hey :) I'm super new to magick, but also extremely fascinated. I know for a fact that I'm not Wiccan or part of Wicca as I'm a complete atheist, however I think witchcraft may be something I'm interested in.

I know that for beginner witches it's advised to do some research about the history, basics etc.. and I am going to do that...

However I'm not sure where to write it all. I want to start a Book of Shadows, but it seems like a BoS is quite a definitive thing, and I'm not ready to fully commit to a 'witchy' lifestyle.

What I'm kinda trying to ask is how can I - if a t all - casually study/very lightly practice witchcraft without it being too serious?

Tysm in advance :)
ThunderFog

Re: New to witchcraft and unsure

Post by ThunderFog »

I mean I dont have a book of shadows and you dont necessary need tools but they're a big help also you dont have to join a religion but magic has a tendency to influence people's religious beliefs, there's an entire section on beginner stuff

Also I figure I should explain my beliefs on tools you dont need them but they help with focus and guiding your spells to the best possible outcome I just dont bother using tools because I don't cast spells that often because I rarely have a reason to I mostly just practice
The ability to question our way of thinking is what shows our intelligence.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Hi and welcome.

You can organize your thoughts in any notebook, right? Secular magic isn’t at all uncommon. You can go as deep as you feel comfortable.

Ideas for what to investigate or record, keeping it simple
. Charts & lists save writing things out
. Ethics - where to draw the line
. Elements of air, fire, water, earth, ether; uses of symbolism
. Techniques for grounding, centering, projecting, shielding
. Spells - bag, bottle, candle, cords, sigils, chants, hex removal
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36682
. Misc. - Weather magics, green-living, web sites & passwords

Start by building skills & Preparing a work space
. Practice grounding - connecting your energy down the spine to the earth; centering - draw power on the breath from Earth & Sky into the belly; projecting - push focused energy from the belly & out your hands. Shake your hands to clear the energy.
. Improve focus - Gaze at a candle flame & observe it's colors & dance until that's all you see. When your mind wanders just return your attention to the flame. Do daily for 5-10 minutes until you get it.
. Meditate in your work space before setting up gear and project good vibes to create a clean slate to start with.
. In secular practice you can substitute a meditation-work space for a devotional altar. Include symbols of a creation cosmology & The Elements because Magic mimics creation which is the whole point.
. Don’t spend a lot on fantasy gear, repurpose household items;
. Gear: heat-safe bowl & incense - utility candles & holders, oil - water cup - salt dish - represent air, fire, water, earth.

Simple circle -
. Easy circle - broom sweep 🔄widdershins to disperse stagnant energy, lite some incense; then load, aim & shoot walking deosil↩️ to form a circular sanctuary. Air draw an invoking ↙️⭐️ pentagram. No summoning or invocation is done.
. Ground yourself to end a session & air draw a banishing ↗️⭐️ pentagram to disperse the energies.

Tips on spells - energy follows thought
. Choose ingredients related to the goal by usage, suggestive appearance or element.
. Speak incantations in positive, present-tense words, saying just what you want, not what you don't.
. Know what you intend: to attract, to repel or to empower something - think it, feel it in the belly & push.

invisible

Post by invisible »

Thank you so much, these were both really helpful!! I'll definitely begin with researching your recommended things and practicing grounding :)
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

There’s a book review section in Wicca in the Media that can save time.
Black Cloud

Post by Black Cloud »

New to witchcraft, that's great. Enjoy the journey.
"People with a high tolerance for boredom can get a lot of thinking done." -Stephen King
“For every woman is at heart a witch.” -Charles Leland
“Men argue, nature acts.” -Voltaire
“Our life is the creation of our mind.” -Buddha
“Any person capable of angering you becomes your master.” -Epictetus
“Facts don’t cease to exist because they are ignored.” -Aldous Huxley
JennAdeleK

Post by JennAdeleK »

Welcome! Enjoy exploring your path!
"Everyone deserves the chance to fly!"
~Wicked~

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”