Tips for dream analysis?

Dreams, dream interpretation, sleep paralysis, night terrors, hearing voices, vibrations, etc.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tips for dream analysis?

Post by Xiao Rong »

I've started keeping a dream journal, but I want to know how you experienced witches go about dream interpretation. Most online sources seem to all be dream dictionaries. Is there any ... methodology that you guys use to analyze your dreams? Thanks!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Lightbringer

Re: Tips for dream analysis?

Post by Lightbringer »

Well, I'm definitely not an expert, but I'll throw in my two cents.

First, I write down my dream in as much detail as I can remember. I note how I felt about each thing that happened. I do this because there are some things that seem like they should make me feel bad, but actually thrill me, or something seemingly harmless makes me feel uncomfortable.

Then, I go poke around at a bunch of dream dictionaries. I'm not sure if you're trying to avoid them altogether, but this is just how I analyze my own dreams. I think of as many keywords as I can for each of the symbols I want to know more about, and look them all up. I stick with the meanings that I intuitively feel are right for that particular dream, keeping in mind how I felt about it while I was dreaming. I kind of mold it all together to form a meaning that is personal to me.

Occasionally, I can't find any meanings that stick with me, so I might turn to popular myths in which the symbol appears, or I might just think about what parts of my life or my psyche might have made that symbol show up.

As I do this, I begin to collect all the symbol meanings in my head and start forming an interpretation of the entire dream with each of the symbols connected to one another.

Does that help? I feel like I would make more sense if I gave an example. I can probably post one if you want.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Okay, that makes sense. I'm not entirely trying to avoid dream dictionaries, but part of what I'm trying to do is to figure out the symbols that are common in my life and what they mean to me, and I don't think a dream dictionary is necessarily the best way to go. But jotting down the feelings is a great suggestion, thanks!
North Star

Post by North Star »

Dream magick is my second favorite kind of magick! :) I am as much a dream junkie as I am love junkie lol.

Part of my dream magick is analysis, and it can take a while to become familiar with your dream patterns and the best way to interpret for yourself. I guess sometimes I use them almost like any other divinatory tool, like Tarot. I put them together and they make sense. Alone, they can be too vague for me to stress over.

Personally I never use dream dictionaries. I have been studying and working on my dreams for a long time and I seem to have a system that works for me. I feel it is very personal and no book or guide or other person is going to know what may be behind that dream.

I find it helps to repeat in your head certain phrases before falling asleep, like 'I will remember and understand my dreams' or 'tonight my dreams will answer *this* question', and it may take a week or a month of dream recall to put little things together, but I always see answers over time.

I love using dream pillows. I have 2 currently (one was not enough lol). I find using herbs and crystals relating to psychic and divinatory needs help. Also writing wishes on bay leaves of what you want to dream about.

Recall is absolute key for good analyzing, you have to have the pen and pad in your hand before those eyes are fully open. Anything to help your recall will help you to analyze, the more you remember the better. I find it is not a good idea to try to interpret every dream and every detail as soon as you have them. Watch and record them for a week or a month (depending on your frequency of dreams I guess, but have a few to work with), then put pieces together. Kind of like reading cards, they can have a more powerful message when you put them together to work instead of just one at a time.

Recall and pattern watching are my tips, and take your time with them. Use your divinatory tools and dream meditations before sleep, focus on the questions.

You know your stuff, Xiao, you got this!! :fairy: Another great thread you started, btw ;)

Blessings :flyingwitch:
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Oooh, great tips, North Star, thanks! I've only been keeping a dream journal for like a week now, so it makes sense that I haven't gotten any clear themes just yet. Thinking of it like a hand of tarot cards really clarifies things for me!!
Alura Noel

Post by Alura Noel »

'
:flyingwitch:

I agree with what pretty much everything North Star has said.

I think it's a good idea to create that atmosphere or do things to aid in having dreams. I really liked what North Star suggested with the dream aids, sleep mantras, and that sort. She knows her stuff. :D

I find that by practicing recalling your dreams and recording them is personally one of the most crucial things for dream analysis (captain obvious over here, haha). The more you practice trying to remember them, the more details about the dream you'll remember. The more details, the more the dream will make sense to you so when you start to analyze it, it's easier to figure out why you feel a certain way about something and what it means to you.

Also, another good thing about practicing dream recall and just in general, focusing on what you're dreaming really helps with developing lucid dreams. The more aware you become of them you can become conscious and be able to steer your dream how you want it to happen.

Some things that I do to help in recalling them:

Teas and Medications:
I find that sometimes certain herbs and medications will effect my dreams. Personally, when I drink Chamomile tea I usually don't remember my dream in the morning or its really vague. Whereas, say I use a Nyquil sleep aid, my dreams are really wacky and easy to recall.

Maybe you could experiment with certain herbal teas before bed and find out if anything hinders or enhances your dreams and how you recall them.

(I wouldn't advise anyone to take the nyquil, but its helps me sleep when my body clock gets out of whack.)

Gradual wake up:
Another thing that really helps me recall my dream is to wake up gradually. I find that if I am woken up abruptly I don't focus as much of what I dreamt or I can't remember what I dreamed. I know for a lot of people not using an alarm clock isn't practical but it's something that aids me in recalling dreams.

Perhaps if you do use an alarm, set it on a lower sound setting (I'd allow for more time before you have to be where you need to be in case it takes awhile for it to wake you and having a backup alarm in case it doesn't wake you at all) so it takes you longer to wake up but brings you out more slowly, hopefully aiding recalling your dream.

Focusing on dream and recording:
I think by just laying in bed after being woken up instead of jumping right out and getting ready for work or whatever and thinking about what you dreamt is a good thing to do as well. Writing it down then helps me remember even more details from the dream and helps to create that cohesion and flow so the timeline of the dream makes sense for me.

Organizing your dream:
Personally, I think its good to try to write your dream in a somewhat organized way or to develop a format that works for you so the dream analysis is easier on yourself to figure out. I normally set my dream record like this. It's not necessary but makes things easier on me (helps me figure out the main focal points of it) and if I want to share it, it's easier for other people to read or hopefully have insight.

Goal in dream: I try to remember what my goal was in the dream.
What I remember: Write everything that I do remember about the dream.
When I woke up: I like to see how the dream affects me or if it makes me do anything. (like if i wake up feeling relaxed or sweats, laughing etc)
Some odd things: Usually I like things that I normally don't experience a lot, or things that I put a lot of emphasis on (ya may wanna make that tid bit a different category).

Analysis: My Method of how I go about analyzing my dreams.

I haven't been able to find anything online to help with dream analysis. There's dream dictionaries but those really don't work for me. Everyone will associate certain objects, themes, etc different ways. They're fun to look at but I don't think it's the way to go. I also think that the best person to interpret dreams is the person who had it. Again, certain things have different meanings for other people. There some theories as to why we dream but that's about it and pretty much only thing I have found about dreams.

I think dream analysis is all about figuring out which part/or events in the dreams affect you in the dream and how you feel when you're awake. I find the easiest way is to pick out certain things in the dream that caused a unusual or intense emotional reaction and to try and figure out what it meant to you.

For example, When I am awake, say looking at a backpack doesn't have any special meaning and doesn't affect how I feel at all. Yet in my dream, looking at the backpack makes me uncomfortable/threatened and puzzled.

So, for the analysis, its all about figuring out why that affected me like that since I put so much emphasis on it in the dream.

Also, tying in other aspects about your dream and trying to figure out how they got there. Perhaps you read something, saw something on the tv, people you knew. Did that affect you in any way? Was that the main focus in the dream or more of a backgroung? How did you feel about it? Notice anything weird or out of place? Why do you think it was like that?

Taking in account to whats going on around you when you're awake and try to see if there are any ties to that in your dream. Any situations that are making you feel stressed? Worries that have been on your mind? Anything that's made you really happy? What thoughts or things have you been focusing on a lot while your awake?

Like, if I get sick, my dreams are usually nightmares and represent how I am feeling. My heart beat racing/pounding from a fever while I am asleep will make my dream seem rhythmic or have repetitive actions in the dream. If I'm fighting with my fiance or i'm focusing on something happening a lot, like worrying. It will normally cause me to dream about what I'm focusing on or taking note of when I'm awake.

Maybe start out slowly. Pick one thing that happened in your dream like an object/action that caused a big reaction for you or made you feel a certain way that's unusual for you. And try to figure out what made you feel like that or why you think that happened? Why did it cause a response from you? Does it remind you of something that has happened? Or do you think it will? Why does an object make you feel a certain way?

Just try to find out what symbols, objects and experiences mean to you. Ask yourself a lot of questions. I find it helps me with dream interpretation.

I hope that helps you out some! :D

'
Lightbringer

Post by Lightbringer »

I was going to say it's like doing a tarot reading too! But I was afraid it wouldn't make sense if I mentioned it XD

I agree that you eventually get used to the meanings of your own dream symbols the more you analyze your dreams. It's the repetition. At some point you're able to realize the meaning of a symbol because of the context it's been given in for each separate dream. Sort of like learning a new word in a language.

Oh yeah, also...my favorite dictionary to use is Dream Moods. Most other ones just don't seem as good.
MistressOfTheMoon

Tips for dream analysis?

Post by MistressOfTheMoon »

Hi Xiao Rong :)

Dream analysis isn't my thing, but I tried it before. From what I remember you should be analyzing the symbols/images/events that appear on your dreams based on what they mean to you.

Sorry but that's all I could say. I never really had the patience for keeping up with my dream journal lol.
"For the Spirit lies within."
~ Ada S.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Wow, these are all excellent tips - thanks!
AncientSideEffects

Post by AncientSideEffects »

As far as increased number of dreams and remembering them, I use mugwort. Its only 2 downsides, toxic n excess and may cause nightmares. I don't mean just any nightmares, but ones that actually scare you. I've had them.
If you think about your daily life, your dreams make more sense. I had a few I had a hard time understanding. But I figured them out. Think about what was happening in your dream, then think about your typical reactions in like life. Most dreams are reflections of yourself and are from your higher self trying to guide you in things you need to fix or confront.
For example, I've had dreams of saving people and sacrificing myself. For me, it meant being less selfish and help others. I've had dreams of being overpowered by a foe, meaning I need to be stronger. Each dream is defined by the person having it. If you ever need help interpreting just ask. I'm sure a few of us, myself included, can help at least a little.
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

Xiao Rong wrote:methodology that you guys use to analyze your dreams? Thanks!
I usually understand precognitive dreams when it's too late... they happen 0 days to 2 weeks from dreaming.
When I get irritated by this phenomenon I go into hypnosis as anchored quick from José Silva's Mindcontrol book
then use appropriate affirmation such as "I decipher my dreams in time before they get fulfilled"
repeat few minutes and fall asleep. It bears fruits but also leaves odd feeling, doesn't erase frustration... actually it does, then I'm ok and don't use it and yet again get precognitive dreams deciphered only when it's too late. Talk about the wheel of fortune.

I get some real results from looking up dreammoods com that library is on my wave of defining things unfortunately not abundant enough in some cases.
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Here's what I did. / came to think.

Learn to trust and listen to your intuition. When it is wrong it's wrong; it doesn't invalidate it as an attribute. In the realm of logic we also get things wrong all the time.

It's important to remember that the unconscious is trying to communicate and the more attention and effort you make to facilitate this, the closer you come to reaching a point of communion. As you are learning the language of the unconscious, it is learning the language of consciousness. It is better to try and be wrong then not try or jump to conclusions.

If the quiet voice knows you are listening it speaks up. And the world becomes a remarkable place.

So read as many books as you care to on dream symbolism and general symbolism and think about what the symbols mean and ask if it intuitively makes sense to you at the time (because some symbols are universal and others personal). You will find aha moments in symbolism where you spot the connections after time. You don't need to consciously recall all that info but it is best to keep the sources you refer to (as it is the shared dictionary you are creating). You are a code breaker and these symbols are the shared code; so keep your code books to hand.

On dream recollection write down as much info as you can recall (noting which may be post dream embellishments because they can either be fantasy or added layers of intuition in the process) and especially how you felt / how it made you feel. Then set it aside and revisit it later.

Some dreams are 'cheese dreams' others 'waking dreams' - intuition is the best guide to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

Then bookishly list every single symbol and action that took place, cross reference them in a list and look for a pattern or narrative that intuitively feels right.

If you get stuck, before bed communicate the desire for clarity or ask questions and see if the will reveal themselves to you.

--------

All that we see or seem,
Is but a dream within a dream.

- Edgar Allan Poe
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Replying to an old post - And continuing new chat...

Oh gee, everybody has already made useful suggestions. These are my two bits. I’m a Virgo, we analyze. I see the subconscious as a Master Storytelling Bard, using the dreamer’s story to teach and illustrate meanings for clan and tribal identity, ie, what space the dreamer occupies in the collective mind. Yeh, blah blah blah.

In a regular dream (not an out of body or a precog) I’d think of them as the subconscious telling a story to express needed self-awareness. So everything in the dream symbolizes the dreamer. What we see in other people as dream-actors we are seeing in ourselves. How we respond to the actor is how we feel about that identity in our self. Their bad actions are ours that we don't want to own. Their good actions are ours too, maybe we accept or we’re not confident enough to own. Dreams will sometimes super-size & exaggerate what we need to know to draw our attention so it can’t be missed.

A house that our dream-self occupies is us as well, in that our consciousness dwells within our body-mind self. The attic is thoughts & headology, kitchens are where we most often feel safe & nourished, living rooms are where we relax without competition or showing off, bedrooms are both places of rest and intimacy, bathrooms are for cleansing and eliminating what needs gotten rid of, basements are our deeper, hidden, underneath, submerged or even shadow-self. Closets can be hidden, stored up emotions & clothing are symbols of protective disguises, the self we want others to see us as.

The setting of a dream is like stage props setting a scene that give background clues to what conditions apply. Actions are the story the dream is telling.

Out of body dreams will sometimes have us flying, floating, Michael Jackson moon-walking, bouncing, or passing through doors, walls or being invisible to other people in the dream, driving or passengering in a car or even riding a stubborn mule (which could indicate we’re trying to get OOB but getting frustrated ;) ). These activities usually will precede the story-plot of the dream. Sometimes we see ourselves both leaving & returning to the body or see our sleeping form. Sometimes we slam-dunk re-entry & jolt awake which can make us disoriented, painfully misaligned & crabby as heck. Taking some deep breaths and grounding and centering to pull energy to the gut or chest realigns the energy body and spirit body with the physical body.

Precognitive signs are subject to the individual so I can only mention a few of my own general guidelines. The background/stage setting is void or of no noticeable features that give any clues as if to say this event isn’t set in a time or place of the dreamer (me), or the setting can be startling & real as if physical & suggesting the event pertains exactly to that time and place and conditions. Often I’d have a cold ache in my gut. I’d probably have a hard time shaking off the dream once I awoke. Dreaming of disasters reasonably gets emotional, but dreaming them in a detached observer format suggests I’m remote-viewing something so I’m in a psychically receptive state, thus the dream is likely to be precognitive.

I worked with self-suggestion before sleep to set special heads-up signs of 2-numerals or a special bird into my dreams, so when I see these plainly or even symbolized I’ll know to pay attention to that part of a dream. I guess it’s significant that I usually get these in the ET/UFO related dreams. Non-terrestrials can speak for themselves. :shock:

Return to “Dreaming and Sleep”