What do you do when you find an unfavourable spell?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Gem

Post by Gem »

Good afternoon all,

I ordered a book (the general topic was candle magic) recently which arrived yesterday. I won’t name the book itself, nor the person who wrote it due to the fact that this person is a very famous author in the Wiccan world and so I do not wish to cause any arguments or offend anyone.
I started reading and all was well at first, there were some really nice spells like purifying space, inspiring courage, etc.
However as I got further in, a came across a ritual titled: “To break up a couple.” Immediately red alarms went off in my head, but seeing as this author is so often recommended, I thought “surely it must just be a metaphor.” A long shot, I know, and upon reading it I discovered that it was exactly what it sounded like.
I went back to the contents page and scanned the other ritual titles, and there were awful things in there like “how to arouse jealousy” and other ones about making someone ‘fall in love’ with you.
Now please understand I am someone who cares very deeply about books, and I strongly believe we should try to preserve all works as best as possible. But I’m not ashamed to say, this one went straight in the trash. I could’ve sold it on, but honestly I’d hate the thought that someone was performing manipulative spells because of the book I sold them.

Would you have done the same, was it wrong of me to throw it? What do you do when you come across books like this?

Many thanks,
Blessed be.
”I’d rather be happy and odd,
Than miserable and ordinary.”
- Michelle Magorian, Goodnight Mister Tom
SapphireRoad

Re: What do you do when you find an unfavourable spell?

Post by SapphireRoad »

Yeah straight into thrash, not even worth fuelling the campfire, lol.

I mean, poetically speaking... might as well go into campfire to symbolically cleanse ourselves from such things... ok now abuse of power reminds me of Karin Horney and her book called sth like "Neurotic need of love," where she mentioned quite a simple principle, that some people seek love through accumulation of power. Which is of course wrong.

Historically witchcraft was full of orgiastic rites (excuse for village to throw a party) therefore to call mixed and dark magic to be a teenager's excuse to get laid in a less direct way wouldn't be far from the truth.

Now to prevent these enthusiasts from cursing me I should mention that they can just look up some articles on psychology of communication. Because nowadays life's quite stiff when it comes to the will to connect and sort things out.

Well I find them everywhere. I can mention my success in some field and opposing force of envy emerges. It sucks.

Looks like you can share your success with only equally or more rich people than yourself.

Magician leaders of occult groups were always sticking their nose way too much into other members' love affairs too.

Lol I had a gf taking part in shamanic group, later they've been working to set us apart.
Osho offered to a novice girl that if she gave him oral he'd transmit energy into her.
Lévi had noble ideas of supreme balance of freedom and responsibility, married a novice girl far from equal to him and marriage failed.
Crowley did what Valiente mentioned in ABC of Witchcraft. Drove a wife of his occult member to suicide so that he could have that guy focussed just on their occult practice.

Seriously though L*vey and his musings would at least be less hypocritical, although the idea of making contracts with deceitful entities to foster your own will to fulfil your own desires is beyond ridiculous.
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Oh!, do tell the author and title, :fairy: you will be saving the next seeker from wasting their money.
BB, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I hope I would just choose not to perform any objectionable spells & maybe tear out the offensive pages as the rest of the book was said to be satisfactory. Magic both heals & curses but do we quit using it? The moral compass of the author is their guide & we need always to be alert to protect our own values. You learned the author's other works may be suspect of coercive spells & can avoid the author. If it really rankles then send a letter to the author thru their publisher, cc to publisher, politely saying why you won't buy their books again.

To be honest I've pitched a book or 2 in the trash over the years. 1 particular 1960's WC paperback was so stupid & bad that I'd stomped on it, pulled it apart at the spine & shredded the sections, then trashed the pieces in a real hissy fit.
Siona

Post by Siona »

You have your values, others have theirs. Curses and other "unfavorable" spells have existed for thousands upon thousands of years. We have many examples of it through history in curse tablets, and the like. They're not going away any time soon. If I come across a spell I disagree with from a moral standpoint, I simply to do utilize it as such. If nothing else, it is good to be aware of how such things can be done, so you can undo them if the situation should ever arise. You do not have to agree with someone's morals to learn from them - you may just be leaning something other than they intended.
barker

Post by barker »

Spell's are funny like this:
"I want sex" is an omnipotent God, and
"You don't like me" is an imbecile.

You get 50/50, and it's honest.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”