How to escape a Christian mindset

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Onlybeentenminutes

How to escape a Christian mindset

Post by Onlybeentenminutes »

This is something that's begun popping up quite a lot in my inner circles, and so i was wondering if someone might have more insight into this issue.

How is one supposed to interact with deities? What are some of the common pitfalls of ex-Christians.

I've seen a number of "No the Gods do not all have undying love for you, no the Gods are not expressly here for you."

Guess I'm looking for information on how to interact with deities in a more pagan mindset - like looking at deities in a pagan mindset, how would that differ from someone looking at deities from an ex-christian mindset.

There's a part of me that feels like I'm addressing my relationships with the deities I interact with in the wrong way? I suppose? Though I know it's typically pretty hard to get paganism "wrong" seeing as it tends to be shown as a "Make it what you want" kind of religion. But I really, really can't help but feel like I really, really am looking at this in a way i shouldn't and i desperately want to know if I should look at my deities and interact with them differently and how Christian vs. not Christian differs in viewing deities
Panthera

Re: How to escape a Christian mindset

Post by Panthera »

I would like to point out that this is my personal feeling, but I think that most Christians are in a perspective where as soon as they are praying, God is with them. Whereas in witchcraft it is more a relationship that is created over time. Especially at the beginning of our practice. Of course, sometimes we will be able to feel a presence, but we won't necessarily take it for granted every time.

Indeed, the deities are not our parents or friends. They're not here to love us. Be careful this does not mean that they will not protect or guide us. Just that we are rather in a form of exchange and sharing. Through our devotions and offerings we show our respect and to thank us they will help us. The help is different for each person, some will have advice in their dreams, others will have the right meetings that will open doors for them. It's quite variable.

What are your deities and how do you proceed to connect with them ?
Onlybeentenminutes

Post by Onlybeentenminutes »

Panthera wrote:I would like to point out that this is my personal feeling, but I think that most Christians are in a perspective where as soon as they are praying, God is with them. Whereas in witchcraft it is more a relationship that is created over time. Especially at the beginning of our practice. Of course, sometimes we will be able to feel a presence, but we won't necessarily take it for granted every time.

Indeed, the deities are not our parents or friends. They're not here to love us. Be careful this does not mean that they will not protect or guide us. Just that we are rather in a form of exchange and sharing. Through our devotions and offerings we show our respect and to thank us they will help us. The help is different for each person, some will have advice in their dreams, others will have the right meetings that will open doors for them. It's quite variable.

What are your deities and how do you proceed to connect with them ?
I have a very strong connection with the goddess Antheia. She came to me in a dream years ago - I typically offer her honey, milk, wild flowers and flower crowns.

I have a hobby of researching plants - I always send her thanks and devote my research to her since she was what got me going down that path in the first place.

I've made connections with other deities. I try and keep Antheia in my life where with other deities they'll teach me something and we'll go on our separate ways
Panthera

Post by Panthera »

You can quite easily forge links with other deities while keeping the one you have with Antheia. Just be careful not to mix divinities that clash in myths and legends. For example, Seth and Osiris.

It is also possible to reserve a different space or altar according to the deities. In my case I have an altar for my practice with a statue of Cernnunos and another space dedicated solely to Hekate.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

I will say that perhaps one of my most powerful experiences with deity was when I visited an Evangelical Church a few years ago. I was definitely a practicing Pagan (in fact, I was there as part of a Pagan leadership program to experience other religions), and it was really fascinating how they really brought God into the room with them. I'm still not interested in Christianity, but I could sense his presence.

But what were they doing there to "draw down" God? They were doing consistent devotion -- invoking a sacred space, praising him, making offerings, etc. All things that are good core components of a pagan devotional practice. Of course his presence was so easily felt in a space where a whole community of people have been practicing consistently for decades. And of course, the Christian God is evangelizing -- he wants to be there for everyone.

It's harder for Pagans when we might be one of a small handful of people globally working with a deity, without the benefits of full religious organizations like a church that can afford to have dedicated buildings and full-time clergy. But it's not impossible.

I think that our Pagan gods are there, but they are often smaller in scope. The other thing is, our gods often have things to attend to. Not all of them exist to guide us, specifically -- a river god's first job is to attend to the river itself, not to call followers to them. (Some of them DO exist to guide us and protect us, though -- one of my primary deities is Guanyin, the Goddess of Compassion. Her primary area of interest is to help those who are suffering).

I find that sometimes the best way to engage with a god is to work with them -- not just in terms of doing devotion or making offerings, but to do their work with them. What do they want to do in the world? My profession is a social worker, so I often find myself praying to Guanyin. Want to get to know a river deity? Help clean the river -- that's your offering. In my opinion, that's way more effective at getting a deity's attention than occasionally putting out food or praying at an altar.

P.S. I always recommend John Beckett's work. He has a blog, Under the Ancient Oaks, and a couple of books out that are great introductions to polytheistic practice.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Silas Nightfall

Post by Silas Nightfall »

I just talk to mine. No special hand holding or sitting position. Just talk, like a good buddy is right beside me. Of course, gestures like planting a seed or feeding an animal are basically sacrifices. But honestly, they don’t answer to me, or I them. It’s a two way street. Respect, love, understanding.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Removing ignorance and studying the history of Christianity which isn't 100% awful. Out of sight, out of mind works too.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”