General Gods/Goddesses

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Elemental Monte

General Gods/Goddesses

Post by Elemental Monte »

I'm new to Wicca, so forgive me for lack of knowledge of such things. I heard there are different gods/goddesses for each wiccan practice, but I was wondering which are the main ones, and where I could learn about them. Any help is very much appreciated.
Sakura Blossom

Re: General Gods/Goddesses

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Have you done any research into Wicca yet? A good place to start is looking on Google, honestly. There are infinite resources online that you can find with a quick Google search and here on the forum we have a search bar at the top so you can look up questions you might have too. It's really helpful to see if there have been similar questions asked that might point you in the right direction. ^_^ If you have any new age stores near you, or any book stores as well, there may be some books there to help point you in the right direction as well.

It's really hard for us to answer questions like this because it's such an open-ended question that we try to help point our new members in the right direction for personal research first and then do our best to answer any questions along the way. Personal research and discovery is a big part of Wicca/the Craft so you'll want to do what you can on your own first. ^_^

Oh, you might also find this forum helpful too!

http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 27774.html

I hope this helped a little bit! I'm sorry I couldn't get too much in depth for you. D: Welcome to EUTM as well, and I hope you enjoy it here! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Bright Blessings!

- Sakura
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
MagicKiara

Post by MagicKiara »

There are several Pantheons, which I'm sure there are a few that you are already familiar with. Was there one that maybe you felt connected to while learning of them in school? A few examples (but not limited to): Egyptians, Romans, Greeks, Celtics, and so on. You can even follow more than one Pantheon, or just choose a God/ess or two. It's entirely up to you and what you feel comfortable with! I hope I was able to help. :)
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

In Gardnerian Wica the Goddess is both Earth and the Triple Goddess of the Moon as Maid, Mother and Crone; the God is the Horned Lord of death & rebirth. Those can be used as search terms or by any of their folklore titles.

God of Wicca: lord of the Wild Hunt, Lord of the Forest, Lord of the Dance, Lord of the Underworld, Horned Lord, Hero/Sacrifice, Corn King, Green Man, Goddess's Consort, Oak King-Holly King, Santa Claus. The forest could be seen as the elder form & agriculture as the younger form.

Goddess of Wicca: Forest Mother, Maid-Mother-Crone, Earth Maiden, Earth Mother, Queen of Elphame, Primordial Star Goddess, Night Huntress, Queen of the Night, Mother Goose. The Earth herself as Goddess is always Present but rests in winter.
barker

Post by barker »

The best God is the man/woman figures that you actually do like. They don't just wait for trust, they have plenty of time on their hands to make things happen. Picture a dude you like. Is his time on the move, well, properly?

Such synthesis is actually as civil. When magic becomes uncivil that's when it becomes hazardous. The whole idea: just be to appreciate what does seem sane. Magic naturally flows from that standpoint.
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

Humans like to complicate things with elaborate ritual. The Divinities are not impressed by us wasting their time and attention. I believe a Wiccan/Witch should focus on a singular Spirit of choice as your guide, teacher and protector. Include this Divinity in all that you do and commune frequently at your home altar or in Circle. Establish a personal affinity with your God/Goddess. You don't have time nor neither do they to host an array of the Pantheon, and why would you? There is no intimate relationship flittering from one to another. All Divinities share commonality in Akasha. Our initial selection may not always prove optimal so we are free to change if you wish till resonance is found. This is my experience but of course you should do as you wish.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
barker

Post by barker »

"As spirit I want:"

Here's mine...
truth, knowledge and good order

And then it is a matter of researching the affinity, between myself and those names.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Shekinah wrote:singular Spirit of choice as your guide, teacher and protector. Include this Divinity in all that you do and commune frequently at your home altar or in Circle. Establish a personal affinity with your God/Goddess. You don't have time nor neither do they to host an array of the Pantheon, and why would you? There is no intimate relationship flittering from one to another. All Divinities share commonality in Akasha.
That's a bit like saying you should have only one friend. Now maybe you can have a best friend, you might even have 2 or 3 best friends. But a group of friends will offer a different perspective to the same thing. Why limit oneself to a singular path? Sure they all are a part of the Akashic, but like the group of friends who are also from one source, they are diverse and diversity is how we learn and it helps creativity flourish. One God/Goddess = one shade in the rainbow, a full spectrum would be more pleasing, and it takes that one source to create the rainbow. Course this is my take on the divine ...there are more shades to the rainbow than one can explore, so it's good to have a best friend or three, but other friends are good too.
BB, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I work with multiple deities. That has always been by their choice. However, I am not Wiccan. My practice is probably closer to shamanic, than witch. That may have something to do with my profession as a nurse. That being said, I have a very close relationship with Bast, Sekhmet, and Anubis.
Daughter of Sekhmet

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”