How to safely burn paper?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
missbelladonna

How to safely burn paper?

Post by missbelladonna »

Hi everyone!

I want to do a spell that involves burning paper, but I never learned how to safely do so. I tried doing it indoors once but it was kinda scary, and I don't think I did it correctly. I know I will do it outdoors this time, but what kind of bowl should I use? Do I put sand in it? Are the fumes okay to breathe lol?

Thanks in advance!
"Keep your heels, head, and standards high." -Coco Chanel
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to safely burn paper?

Post by Firebird »

Do you have a fireplace? That would be the best spot indoors. second choice indoors is the kitchen on the stove. Use a fire safe metal pan to let it burn in or Iron cauldron, or iron anything.
I have a native friend who use to do his smudging from a pie tin in on the kitchen stove. You can use these item outdoors also. I don't recommend glass of any kind. Ceramic might be ok if it is a heavy piece, china...no.
I used to use a short terra cotta planter in the backyard. it was also great for small twig fires.
BB, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

In addition to what FBF has said re: using a metal pot, even an old frying pan can work. I also tear the paper in half if it's larger than the pot so it fits inside & hold the paper with tongs until it gets going. I don't burn papers larger than 3-4 inches square indoors because it smokes & sets off the smoke detector. I prefer to do buring tasks outdoors because of the black smoke or soot. Ash stays in the pot. Keep a lid or plate handy to smother the flame if needed. I've never needed it but just being safe.
barker

Post by barker »

Pyrex. That stuff is as magical as reality itself.
Metal containers tend to produce fun effects, but using a glasslike or crystalline artefect [is] spiritual.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Oh good point. Pyrex is heat safe & I've used it just fine for multiple jobs.

Oh - MissB, you'd asked if sand's needed ... Usually sand is for heat absorption when using coals. If your burning pot already has sand in it there's no need to dump it out to burn paper. A flame isnt going to last more than a minute or two for small tasks.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Try Magic Wish Paper. This works great if you are only planning to use small slips of paper. Here's a tutorial on how to make Magic Wish Paper. I just buy the cheapest tea bags I can find and dump out the contents. They burn beautifully (and fly into the air!) and leave minimal amounts of smoke behind. My coven often likes to make requests using Magic Wish Paper, and then divine the outcome of the result based on how high the paper flew when it was burning. Very safe to use indoors and easy to do.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
missbelladonna

Post by missbelladonna »

Thanks everyone! This is very helpful! I am confident I will not have a terrifying experience next time lol. Xiao, I really LOVE the wish paper. I think it will be my go to from now on. Thanks again!!!
"Keep your heels, head, and standards high." -Coco Chanel

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”