Unknown pagans

Discussion of raising your family in the pagan tradition.
Ashrend

Unknown pagans

Post by Ashrend »

Was just wondering how many if you may have had parents that were unknowingly spiritual or pagan or any other name for out of the ordinary and practicing certain things. My mother was/is spiritual and pagan in a way, she used to have faeries statues all over the house, she used to do tarot card readings, mostly for herself and believe in things like the three fold rule. She's believed in many things throughout my childhood including angels and their protection, Buddah states around the house, Fung shuie (wrong spelling i know). But she has never considered herself spiritual or pagan ect. It's something that makes me think I have some heritage with magic especially with my mum's gran being a very mysterious and gentle being and the obscurity of my families history having moved around the world but to or from where I don't know.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Unknown pagans

Post by SpiritTalker »

My parents were nominal Christians, both college ed &'both denounced all metaphysics, psychism, spiritism & magic as nonsense & hooey. No spiritual practices. They hailed from different X'n denominations and were shunned by both for a "mixed" marriage, so I think they'd had their fill & denounced it all as a bad deal. Although dad's side relations hint at Penn-Dutch ties, I think we're probably all genetically manipulated hybrids with a lot to be thankful for as mongrel mixes. Which chromosome carries the magic? Or is it the soul that learns it thru trial & error?
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Ashrend wrote:Was just wondering how many if you may have had parents that were unknowingly spiritual or pagan or any other name for out of the ordinary and practicing certain things. My mother was/is spiritual and pagan in a way, she used to have faeries statues all over the house, she used to do tarot card readings, mostly for herself and believe in things like the three fold rule. She's believed in many things throughout my childhood including angels and their protection, Buddah states around the house, Fung shuie (wrong spelling i know). But she has never considered herself spiritual or pagan ect. It's something that makes me think I have some heritage with magic especially with my mum's gran being a very mysterious and gentle being and the obscurity of my families history having moved around the world but to or from where I don't know.
This sounds much like the spiritualism of the 19th century. Tarot cards seem to have a lot of Christian symbolism and anybody can believe in the fae. But I feel like some people still want to be pagan, and just are not ready to call themselves that.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

My dad was raised Mormon, but the last few years of his life he developed somewhat of an interest in the metaphysical. He was especially interested in Edgar Cayce.
Daughter of Sekhmet
Juniper

Post by Juniper »

I think there are way more out there than what appears. There are more people in the world now than ever before. I believe old souls are returning and the old ways are becoming a huge influence on the younger generation. Just talking to the younger people now makes me believe they get it!! Respect for the mother and love and light.
Tylluan

Post by Tylluan »

My family were Christian back in the day. In fact my Great, great, great Uncle built the first ever Presbyterian Church in Swansea, Wales specifically for the Scottish Community living there.

But they've always had ties with the old ways of working and there are plenty of superstitions to boot. The family on my mothers side were always into spirit communication, herbology, folklore etc. My Grandmother openly said she was a Witch - which was risky as it was still on offence in the UK then. She was always calling up spirits using the board. I think they lived a duel faith life. Originally from Ireland, then moved to Wales I know that they saw the Trilogy in terms of the Triple Goddess.
My soul is awakened, my spirit is soaring. And carried aloft on the wings of the breeze. For above and around me the wild wind is roaring. Arousing to rapture the earth and the seas.

Return to “Pagan Family & Parenting”