Reasons I Won't Believe in Christianity.

Discussion of Christianity and other religious systems. How can we explain our faith to Christians? How can you merge your faith in Jesus with your belief in the metaphysical?
GardeniaBloom03

Re: Reasons I Won't Believe in Christianity.

Post by GardeniaBloom03 »

i am 14 and new at all this pagan/wiccan stuff. i have been christian since forever, but something about it has always seemed off. i used to always read the bible and go to church and all the stuff the bible said to do, but none of that was because i actually felt connected to god. i did it out of fear. in the bible it even says to be all-fearing of god, but isnt he supposed to be a godof love? i ve never understood... i ve always felt a pull, a tug, a connection in my heart to something else. but i never knew what. the when i was 12 the crazy idea of witchcraft and paganism popped into my mind and suddenly i was whisked away to the internet for hours on end looking for answers and information from pagan websites. and amazingly i was able to know the difference between false and true information. i was shocked to find out at first that all the "wiccans are evil" b.s. was all a lie. that it contridicts everything i ve been told growing up and still being told today. and through all my searching i ve grown farther and farther away from christianity. and now i wonder if the bible was another lie i ve been told as well. i ve never been so spiritually connected to anything before as i am to the goddess, i truely feel like the closer i get, the more i m coming home. now i just wish i could practice my beliefs freely. i still live with my mom who is christian, and know taking bible training classes to become a missionary. my mom found the wiccan books i ve been secretly buying a month or two ago when i was at school. she didnt discuss it with me, she didnt try to talk it out or reason. she simply burned them. all she said was evil would not be tolerated in her house and that just because my family has a psychic background that i too have been gifted with, that that did not make me a witch. but i know how completely wrong she was. thats not what makes a witch. never have i been so put down from my mother. and it s made me look at her in a different light, the way she forces me to go to church now and tries to spoon-feed the bible to me, just got me farther away from christianity. when she first found the books i started to question my beliefs and wonder if i was really going to go to hell or not because of them, i tried christianity a last time and just now do i realize that that is not what is in my heart. i now understand that and that the Goddess that it was only a few months and not a few years that i would wake up and realize i would be living a lie. like i believe everyone is, i m only looking for the answers, and i now i have a long way to go, but at least i know where my journey begins. i just hope i dont dimolish the relationship with my mom by taking the first steps... please, i need support, anything i can get, just to know i m not alone and not completely crazy...
love and light to all those who accept it, and to those who wont but need it. thx. )0(
GardeniaBloom03

GardeniaBloom03 wrote:i am 14 and new at all this pagan/wiccan stuff. i have been christian since forever, but something about it has always seemed off. i used to always read the bible and go to church and all the stuff the bible said to do, but none of that was because i actually felt connected to god. i did it out of fear. in the bible it even says to be all-fearing of god, but isnt he supposed to be a godof love? i ve never understood... i ve always felt a pull, a tug, a connection in my heart to something else. but i never knew what. the when i was 12 the crazy idea of witchcraft and paganism popped into my mind and suddenly i was whisked away to the internet for hours on end looking for answers and information from pagan websites. and amazingly i was able to know the difference between false and true information. i was shocked to find out at first that all the "wiccans are evil" b.s. was all a lie. that it contridicts everything i ve been told growing up and still being told today. and through all my searching i ve grown farther and farther away from christianity. and now i wonder if the bible was another lie i ve been told as well. i ve never been so spiritually connected to anything before as i am to the goddess, i truely feel like the closer i get, the more i m coming home. now i just wish i could practice my beliefs freely. i still live with my mom who is christian, and know taking bible training classes to become a missionary. my mom found the wiccan books i ve been secretly buying a month or two ago when i was at school. she didnt discuss it with me, she didnt try to talk it out or reason. she simply burned them. all she said was evil would not be tolerated in her house and that just because my family has a psychic background that i too have been gifted with, that that did not make me a witch. but i know how completely wrong she was. thats not what makes a witch. never have i been so put down from my mother. and it s made me look at her in a different light, the way she forces me to go to church now and tries to spoon-feed the bible to me, just got me farther away from christianity. when she first found the books i started to question my beliefs and wonder if i was really going to go to hell or not because of them, i tried christianity a last time and just now do i realize that that is not what is in my heart. i now understand that and that the Goddess that it was only a few months and not a few years that i would wake up and realize i would be living a lie. like i believe everyone is, i m only looking for the answers, and i now i have a long way to go, but at least i know where my journey begins. i just hope i dont dimolish the relationship with my mom by taking the first steps... please, i need support, anything i can get, just to know i m not alone and not completely crazy...
love and light to all those who accept it, and to those who wont but need it. thx. )0(
Autumnal Rose

Post by Autumnal Rose »

I am not a Christian (though I do respect those who follow Christian beliefs). The reason Christianity would not/did not work for me is the problem I have accepting the fundamental belief that Jesus is the son of God. As a Witch, I do believe in God and as somebody who has studied (some..) history I have no doubt that Jesus existed as a person. But I can't put those two things together and come up with the son of God. It makes no sense. The greatest gift bestowed on us by the God and Goddess was to allow us to live our life with free will. Sending a son of the deity to the earth to change our beliefs goes totally against the concept of free will and allowing us to find and make our own choices. I believe Jesus was a prophet, I can easily believe in the miracles. I have no doubt he was a good and honest man and I even think I believe that he genuinely believed he was the son of God. But as I can't make that final leap of faith and believe in a deity who has chosen to manipulate my beliefs rather than stand by the gift of free will, I could never be a Christian.
Truthseeker

`

Post by Truthseeker »

I am Christo-pagan. I am a witch. At first I had a lot of trouble with the concept of combining my 'christian' (I'm not personally fond of that word for its negative associations- but...) beliefs with my pagan feelings and witchy beliefs. I have always been pagan at heart and it seemed to me christianity, or rather, most christians I have known, as it is represented today held total disrespect for the earth and fellow man. I began to read for myself and NOT just believe because it was preached or taught in church somewhere. You CAN believe in God(dess) or The ALL and still be a witch. Google 'christian witchcraft' and/or christo-paganism and you will find a veritable bottomless well of information. You don't have to please anyone but yourself where your beliefs are concerned. I am a pagan follower of the teachings of Jesus. I have myself and my soul and God(dess) to answer to. No one else can dictate to you what you hold to be true in your heart.
Skye Shadowstone

Post by Skye Shadowstone »

@GardenBloom

My story is very similar. I was born to a christian family and grew up with bible stories, but a couple years ago I started realizing how I didn't, in my heart, believe what I had been told all throughout my life. It actually wasn't until a month ago when my friend told me about an eye color changing spell(which I have yet to try) and I discovered this site. From there everything fell into place. I was always a nature- and animal-loving person, and the beliefs of paganism/Wicca corresponded with what I had already began to believe about the world. Ex. willpower can alter the physical world, the ultimate being is the whole of two halves(the God and Godess). It only took a few hours of reading for me to realize that this was the right path for me. I just wish I could be open about it. My parents are very close minded, so if they even thought that I might be looking into Wicca I'd probably be off to bible camp :( my dad even tried to defend that priest who beat his daughter for downloading a game onto her computer by saying "they might not be telling us the whole story", as if anything could justify his actions.
GardeniaBloom03

i understand, i surprised my mom hasnt sent me to bible school already. it s probably because she dosent have the money, but if she did i know she would...
i dont know how to deal with her, if i tried talking to her about it she d automatically dismiss it and shove the bible in my face even more... any ideas??

-gardeniabloom03
Truthseeker

Post by Truthseeker »

I would suggest that you continue to love your mother and show her respect. You don't have to agree with her beliefs and hopefully you can avoid confrontation and arguement. What you are and what you belief is in your heart, The outward trappings that make your beliefs apparent are not NECCESSARY to your faith.I would just try to keep peace and be iinconspicuous. That is MY way, someone else may have some other advice.
BLESSED BE
Peaceful Soul

Post by Peaceful Soul »

My reasons for not being a Christian anymore are as follows:

1.)Contradiction. If killing is a sin, why does God do it? He is supposed to be perfect and sinless.
This is going to sound rude, and it is a quote I got, and I forget who said it to be honest. "God is one of two things: Evil or Impotent. He is either Evil because he can destroy all evil and doesn't want to, or impotent because he cannot destroy evil."
Peaceful Soul

Post by Peaceful Soul »

My reasons for not being a Christian anymore are as follows:

1.)Contradiction. If killing is a sin, why does God do it? He is supposed to be perfect and sinless. This is going to sound rude, and it is a quote I got, and I forget who said it to be honest. "God is one of two things: Evil or Impotent. He is either Evil because he can destroy all evil and doesn't want to, or impotent because he cannot destroy evil."
2.)Tarnishment. God gave MANKIND his word, telling us not to change it. But mankind has managed to mistranslate it three times, from Greek and Hebrew to Latin, and Latin to English, and English to every form of bible out there (still don't know how that happened, mistranslating English to English, but oh well.), and misinterpretation. How often do you see two people agree on the same exact thing that is left for an open answer? Next to never.
3.)Christians. If you want to understand that one, look up Ghandi quoted on Christianity, there are plenty that will make you understand.
4.)Superiority Complex. God gave Christians intellegence and thought, and they used that to become greater than him. Christians managed to defy God and defile his creation, and he is doing nothing about it. The only way he did was Noah's Ark (gee, contradiction again.) The Holy Wars was about Christians killing millions of non-Christians for land because 'God gave it to them.'
5.)Attitude. If someone died for you, would you do whatever you want and blame it on them, or would you honour and respect them?

The last three tie together, but still I consider them separate. I am sorry for those of you who are Christian, I do not mean to insult you, but I am just giving what I see as the problems I face with Christianity.

Have a wounderful day, and Blessed Be!
Peaceful Soul

Post by Peaceful Soul »

Sorry, my post doubled itself...my computer is acting up again. Third website it has done that with.

Sorry!
Crisdark

Post by Crisdark »

I have been baptized christian as a baby but when I grew up something didn't seem right... to me a God that preaches love at every turning of the page (and I'm talking here about the New Testament because that's the one Christians follow) and then lets abominations like holy wars or inquisitions be carried out in his name seems unjust. That's one of the issues.
Secondly, I came to the conclusion that Jesus was just a historical figure just like many other Jewish "extremist prophets" (if I can call them that) in his days that angered the authorities , both Roman and local, very much (another example would be John the Baptist).
And thirdly, reading more and more I came to see the many similarities that exist between Christianity and many, if not all, religions in the world. But that isn't because they stole them with ill intent but because those images and concepts exist in every human mind and have such power over our psyche that I think it would have been inevitable to not find them in such a powerful religion.
That is what I had to say...feel free to intervene in what way you see fit.
Doktor Avalanche

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

My biggest reason for walking away from the faith I was raised in, practiced to the point of even becoming a Minister of said faith, and then questioning the faith after delving into research which took years to procure- is something very basic and simple.

I studied the Torah. To make a long post a bit short- various names, their meanings and their lack of vowels point to a really bad misinterpretation of texts when applying outside sources to the Hebrew Torah.
The very first name for god in the first text is Elohim, which literally translates to 'gods'. There was the cult of Yahweh which was practiced in both Israel and Judah during the 9th to 6th Cent. bce as thuse we receive the holy Tetragrammaton, the YHVH.
From this point, we also have the consort of Yahweh, who was recognized not only in text but also in the Canaanite pantheon which lived among the Hebrews, Asherah- The Queen of Heaven. The infamous Jezebel of the Chronicles was a follower of Asherah, and when Elijah lit the fires in his test to prove Ba'al Hammon was a dead god, the Israelites killed Ba'al Hammon's priests, but not those of Asherah. They were mentioned, but not accounted for being slain. Why? Because Asherah was El's consort, as El was associated as Yahweh, after taking on the name of El.

The Hebrews practiced Monolatrism, not Monotheism. After a time, Monotheism became the practice as all the Canaanite gods slowly became synonymous with Yahweh. Asherah was finally evicted out of the Second Temple, considering it took a long time to finally deny her as a consort. YHVH no longer needed a consort apparently.
"We are of the gods, but we are not ourselves gods,
We reflect the Divine, but we are not Divinity itself"
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

I am not a Christian for a number of reasons.

1. Monotheism (hard form not soft form) does not make sense to me in life. It's illogical.

2. I am not surprised the bible has contradictions. There is no original copy of any text in there. All of Jesus's life is secondary sources, hell, most of the bible is. The council of Nicea decided what was canon, and there really should not be any canon.

3. Ancient Christianity is so different from modern Christianity. It was more free and pagany.

4. I do not like the church. Not the religion. I find the church's actions questionable.

5. I feel no connection to Jesus. I am not sure that he even existed.

6. I like God but my version of it is closer to a mix of Judaism and Canaanite beliefs. Yeah, God had a wife and etc. But Christianity's focus is more on the messiah. So, I am more concerned with these notions when speaking of it.

7. I think Christianity was made to reform Judaism to make it viable to all, which seems to be what Jesus was doing. Judaism sounds more of an ethnic religion that concerns a specific set of people., though. Since God made a covenant with them. So, when Christians interpretate the OT, I am always confused.

8. It doesn't make me happy at all. It caused me a lot of distress. That in and of itself is questionable.

9. Threats of hellfire for not agreeing, I don't like that.

10. The absoluteism and the always trying to be right, creates condescending people. I agree with 'Beware of any path that says it is the one true way'.

11. Anything biblically literal or literalism, to be exact. This is not applicable to all of Christianity. But it is to the form I came from.

12. It makes me bored.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
nightshroud

Post by nightshroud »

I've been bullied, harassed, and threatened all under the name of Christianity.

That's why I dropped that path like a bad habit.

I've had a great grandmother who forced me into that faith regardless

here are 2 reasons why I do not follow that faith anymore

1: It is boring as all sin
2: it never connected with me honestly
The darkness is my friend for I am Nightshroud the darklord.
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

Trying to mix Christianity with Witchcraft is an oxymoron. Christianity has been trying to destroy Witches for hundreds of years. Do we not remember the Inquisitions, the torture and burning of Witches by Christian heathens? Why do modern Witches, still in the workforce, hide in the broom closet? It is unfortunate we live in a dominantly Christian nation where-in most do not wish us well and many would still love to burn us and will stand in the way of our careers.

The Abrahamic Faiths (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) have become global superpowers of humanities belief systems and the foundation on which many nations are established. Since their inception they have left a bloody trail in human history and may well instigate Armageddon. Documents secreted from the Vatican Library attest they know they are perpetuating a myth of despicable impact on the world for selfish reasons of wealth and power.

If anyone can explain to me the logic of a Christian Witch please tell. I think such people are fearful of abandoning Christianity because of long ingrained mental conditioning by parent, church, school, peer and government. These people are not ready to embrace Witchcraft and our way of life. In my opinion our secrets and powers should not be extended to them. I don't believe they grasp the meaning of perfect love and perfect trust.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)

Return to “Christianity and Other Religious Faiths”