Making a tarot deck

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
lilPainter

Making a tarot deck

Post by lilPainter »

Im not deep into this kind of magical things (i was raised a mormon and as a teen i kinda wandered far away from any religious topics) but lately i have been interested in this and as an artist im wondering if there are special requirements in order to paint a tarot deck.
Also any suggestions and advice are appreciated

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Firebird on Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tapatalk advertisment, please remove
sun Scorpio, rising Aries, moon Sagittarius
Disclaimer: english is not my first language so i maaaaay write in a botched way, feel free to correct me.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Making a tarot deck

Post by Firebird »

a good understanding of the cards would be helpful, so when designing you know what each card should portray, your interpretation through art though.

Next time you log on could you please swing by the intro section and let us know a little bit about yourself? thanks.
BB, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
lilPainter

Post by lilPainter »

I am searching about the decks but there are so many types and that is quite confusing...
Disclaimer: english is not my first language so i maaaaay write in a botched way, feel free to correct me.
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

I believe there's a deck or two that can be colored...
Maybe that's a place to start so you get an idea what
is included in each card and why its there.
You may find some at http://www.tarot.com
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
Karma Khaos

Post by Karma Khaos »

Most tarot decks follow the Rider-Waite deck, but there are some that follow the Thoth tradition as well. I don't know a lot about Thoth, but as far as I can understand, the cards in both traditions share similar meaning anyway.

A suggestion? If there tarot system feels daunting, why not create an oracle deck instead? Are you thinking about making it for your own personal use, or to publish and sell?
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

well I guess it depends on if you wish to go with a more traditional Ryder-Waite and their correspondences, there are several other divination types that are similar to Ryder-Waite out there but the meanings vary and then there are speciliaty decks like animals, goddesses, trees or flowers maybe make your own? Morgan's tarot deck is really out there and has very random images.
BB, FF
(ps I started this post yesterday morning, sorry for the delay)
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
lilPainter

Post by lilPainter »

gosh...i may be more confused now
what is the definition then? i would like to stick to a more traditional point of view but with all this options...what is the difference? also what guide should i follow with oracle cards?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

You could do a search on the history of tarot cards & get more of a feel for their significance that way. Even just the history of the Rider-Waite deck is an interesting read. The decks have changed by country of origin over centuries but their meanings stayed fairly constant. And different artists today take liberties & express the messages with personal symbolism thus making "oracle" decks rather than Tarot with familiar, collective-symbolism images. Esoteric symbolism usually stays within the universally common images that have the same meaning in various cultures. The game companies that make the cards have resources. Even just browsing "fortune telling decks" on Amazon can provide heaps of info. Loosely, major arcana cards in a deck depict the story of the souls journey of awakening, and minor arcana depict other influences. Then there are layers of meaning where I get off the bus & throw deck at the wall in frustration. I'd started with the Thoth deck before I had a clue. It just is not my thing.

There are house-wife and kitchen gadget themed tarot-style decks, Russian artwork decks, and even a Peanuts Deck with Snoopy as Magician and Fool, Lucy as Empress, etc. Guaranteed fun.

You could start with googling the major arcana to get the sense of the "Mystery Tradition" symbolism, then the values of the minor arcana's four suits, and then the occult meanings of the numbers.
lilPainter

Post by lilPainter »

Sounds fair, im going to do some research and when i begin the project i will create a thread for it

(On another note....how do i remove the tapatalk thingy for my posts?)
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I stumbled over this YouTube video today on the Gaia channel. Use caution when viewing new Gaia channel videos as some of their recent content seem dark. This tarot video is an one of the channel's earlier offerings.

https://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=3e5 ... -CjXCKwj2I

Gaia Little Known History of the Tarot

Published on Jun 27, 2018Throughout its history, tarot has has been associated with various ancient mystery schools and esoteric ideologies. However, evidence points to a deck of cards that wasn’t used exclusively for fortune telling until centuries after its creation. Occult historian and author Mitch Horowitz sheds some light on how this powerful tool transitioned from an early version of bridge to a mystical divination tool.

Special thanks to Lighthouse Bookstore in Boulder, Colorado and to Mitch Horowitz.

Explore more history of the occult: https://bit.ly/2Kd0HGn
lilPainter

Post by lilPainter »

thanks!

oh! and addressing one of Karma's question: in the long term i may want to make decks to sell
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

looks like you figured it out?
here's the info anyway
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 28633.html
looking forward to your deck, what an exciting project, :D oh and I saw your little crow sculpture, that was excellent!
BB, firebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
lilPainter

Post by lilPainter »

Thanks! im letting my nails grow and sculpting has become quite challenging, but it is very relaxing!
As for the tarot cards, are there any materials you prefer?
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I'm liking water color pencils and water color crayons, fun stuff ! Then you can sharpen or enhance picture with colored pencils or ink. In the end you would photo and have them plastic coated.
Nails! Wow, I pretty much gave up on that in high school when I used to TA for ceramics, I love clay, so hard on your hand though :lol:
Bb, FF
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
lilPainter

Post by lilPainter »

I don't have any issues with clay, at least not yet.
For this deck i will do a mix of digital and traditional art

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”