Sigils and Runes

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
LC

Sigils and Runes

Post by LC »

I have been looking up different types of sigils. I know some carve them into candles. Do you only put them on candles or what are the other places. Also are runes more powerful? Is there a certain type you should use?
Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Sigils and Runes

Post by SpiritTalker »

Runes are like an alphabet, and even the alphabet has symbolism attached to the letters. The concept of runes were gifted to Odin when he sought knowledge, hanging 9 days upside down on the World tree, a symbol of the three realms and many other meanings. That can be a metaphor expressing trance. 9 is a number of power as 3x3. So his experience equates to a shamanistic trance of great power.

Runes can be written anywhere you want to attract the power signified by the symbol. Traced in the air, in water, on the bottom of your shoes, carved into wood or stone as an amulet, or into a candle to empower the intent of a spell, embroidered or painted on clothing, your body, and on paper. The paper can be burned and the ash added to a potion, or used in a powder. It will acquire the power of the symbol. Any symbol, not just runes, can be used as long as you know what it means. Some symbols are common: a heart for love, an olive branch for peace, the star for power, sun and moon, etc.

Runes as sigils can be combined artistically to combine powers associated with them. Use the rune that most describes the association you seek.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Spirit Talker gave you very useful info. I also suggest you look through this thread - there is a lot of info there too.
Sigils can be used for many purposes and in many ways. I like carving them on my candles, but I sometimes burn pieces of paper with sigils written on them, I sometimes throw pieces of paper in running water or just carve sigils on the ground - that depends on the purpose.
LC

Post by LC »

Thank you both!
Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”