Are there pagan/Wiccan hymns out there to use in one's worsh

Many pagans and witches use prayer as a form of worship and for requesting help from deities. Share and discuss prayers here.
ArtemisiaTaelor

Are there pagan/Wiccan hymns out there to use in one's worsh

Post by ArtemisiaTaelor »

Hello, all!
I'm new-ish to the Craft (though was interested in new age and neopagan beliefs for the majority of my life), and I must say, I'm blown away by the sheer amount of support, kindness, and lovingness of the community! I'm very happy I decided to officially pursue witchcraft, and all of you here are so lovely, so firstly, I just wanted to say that.
Now, I come from a very musical background-- classical musician parents, jazz singer/pianist brother, and I myself training to be an opera singer... if you're an opera singer or classical musucian, churches WILL hire you to perform for services, and as my parents are Christian, I've doubly so been exposed to the song and ceremony of church services. I love how most of church services are led in song, how the whole congregation sings together in worship... but is there anything like that for us? Are there any official or unofficial hymns to call worship to the Goddess and the God? I am not talking about pagan or Wiccan or witches' music (though simply enchanting for raising energy in a room!) , but straight-up song intended for worship. I love the idea of using musical instruments for connecting to the divine or for worship! Why not the voice?
Thank you!
Pallando

Re: Are there pagan/Wiccan hymns out there to use in one's w

Post by Pallando »

I love this post/question.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Ooh, so glad you asked! Having musical training and talents like yours is a real blessing!

I've introduced my coven to many songs that we now use routinely in ritual. We cast the circle with song (usually the Silver Rose Quarter Call, sometimes a musical adaptation of Starhawk's Quarter Call). SJ Tucker's rendition of the Witch's Rune is beautiful for building energy, although our usual favorite is the "Earth My Body" chant (it is really great for using energy). We usually close with Kellianna's "Blessed Are We" song, and then the classic "May the Circle be Open" song. I've used some specific songs to invoke gods and goddesses, and one I like to use as a morning prayer. The Witch's Reel is one of the most amazingly beautiful songs, in my humble opinion; it actually has a fascinating historical background as the first recorded spell in an actual 1600s witch trial (supposedly, it was used to conjure rain -- I've actually have had good experience with that one!). There's a lot out there if you look for "Pagan songs" on Youtube; I don't like all of them, but it's always fun to find one that you'd want to use in ritual!

I think music is one of the strongest anchors to Pagan practice for me. It sets the mood, delineates sacred space, and can help create group trance. Music can also be an offering to the gods and used in devotional practice. I've worked on developing my singing voice (which is still not great, but I can at least kind of carry a tune and sing on pitch!) for that reason. I'd love to get better at musical instruments as well at some point; I've started collecting some small, easy-to-play instruments (like rattles, drums, and bells) so that other people in my coven without musical training can participate as well.

There's a whole world of bardic magic out there that I have only just scratched the surface of. I once took a workshop on bardic magic and learned some super fascinating stuff: for instance, different keys and modes have magical associations that can be leveraged, and the elemental associations (e.g. air for wind instruments, earth for fire) with each instrument can also be a source of power. Sadly, music theory isn't my strongest suit so I won't be composing anytime soon, but there's a lot out there!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

Xiao Rong wrote: SJ Tucker's rendition of the Witch's Rune is beautiful for building energy

I think music is one of the strongest anchors to Pagan practice for me. It sets the mood, delineates sacred space, and can help create group trance.
I love that song! I listened to it yesterday. lol! :D

I always play music when I'm doing any sort of spell or ritual. I find it really helps connect with my inner self. I am musical to the core and will even sing during rituals.
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

There's The Book of Pagan Prayer by Ceisiwr Seirth.
Shawn Blackwolf
Banned Member

Post by Shawn Blackwolf »

Last edited by TwilightDancer on Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary spaces.
ArtemisiaTaelor

I love all these! Especially "Wytches' ChNt, I've had that on my phone for a while and listen to it nonstop!
ArtemisiaTaelor

SpiritTalker wrote:There's The Book of Pagan Prayer by Ceisiwr Seirth.
Nice! I'll check it out, thank you :)
ArtemisiaTaelor

Xiao Rong wrote:Ooh, so glad you asked! Having musical training and talents like yours is a real blessing!

I've introduced my coven to many songs that we now use routinely in ritual. We cast the circle with song (usually the Silver Rose Quarter Call, sometimes a musical adaptation of Starhawk's Quarter Call). SJ Tucker's rendition of the Witch's Rune is beautiful for building energy, although our usual favorite is the "Earth My Body" chant (it is really great for using energy). We usually close with Kellianna's "Blessed Are We" song, and then the classic "May the Circle be Open" song. I've used some specific songs to invoke gods and goddesses, and one I like to use as a morning prayer. The Witch's Reel is one of the most amazingly beautiful songs, in my humble opinion; it actually has a fascinating historical background as the first recorded spell in an actual 1600s witch trial (supposedly, it was used to conjure rain -- I've actually have had good experience with that one!). There's a lot out there if you look for "Pagan songs" on Youtube; I don't like all of them, but it's always fun to find one that you'd want to use in ritual!

I think music is one of the strongest anchors to Pagan practice for me. It sets the mood, delineates sacred space, and can help create group trance. Music can also be an offering to the gods and used in devotional practice. I've worked on developing my singing voice (which is still not great, but I can at least kind of carry a tune and sing on pitch!) for that reason. I'd love to get better at musical instruments as well at some point; I've started collecting some small, easy-to-play instruments (like rattles, drums, and bells) so that other people in my coven without musical training can participate as well.

There's a whole world of bardic magic out there that I have only just scratched the surface of. I once took a workshop on bardic magic and learned some super fascinating stuff: for instance, different keys and modes have magical associations that can be leveraged, and the elemental associations (e.g. air for wind instruments, earth for fire) with each instrument can also be a source of power. Sadly, music theory isn't my strongest suit so I won't be composing anytime soon, but there's a lot out there!
Thank you so much for this in depth response! I love, love, LOVE the songs you've linked here, especially the Witch's Reel. You're right-- it is very beautiful.
I'm very intrigued by what you said about Bardic magick... do you know of any books on the subject? So far, everything on the google has been about dungeons and dragons, in regards to that subject!

Thank you! :)
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Hmm, I don't know of any full books on the subject. The most in-depth information I've seen in writing was in the book, Goodly Spellbook: Olde Spells for Modern Problems, by Lady Passion and Diuvei. I didn't care as much for the second half of the books (their actual spells), but the first half had some of the most interesting and detailed chapters I've seen, particularly on music and dance in spell creation. You can preview the chapter on Google Books, starting on page 212. The one on music had information about musical modes, making musical ciphers, etc.

I remember that the teacher of the workshop I attended (Michael Dolan, lead singer of the band Featherscale) also explained that every instrument is associated with an element; his theory was that the reason why rock has been so successful is because it has a great elemental balance of instruments (i.e. drums for earth, electric guitar for fire, bass for water, and voice for air). He also once composed an album, one song for each of the 12 zodiac signs, that was composed in the right key, mode, etc. for each sign ... Which is a little bit beyond me because I don't have a great grasp of music theory, but it was very cool!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~

Return to “Pagan Prayers”