Can you cancel or modify a spell after having cast it?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
cherrypie

Can you cancel or modify a spell after having cast it?

Post by cherrypie »

Hi there,

is it possible to "cancel" a spell? Or maybe modify it in a second casting? I just cast a spell and also said that nobody be harmed, but afterwards I got a weird, kind of bad feeling that maybe I wasn't clear enough. I don't suppose that the benevolent spirits, angels etc. would seek for loopholes to do you any harm, but I wasn't so sure about it. So I cast a second spell only to explain my intentions once again and clearly state that nobody be harmed and that everything was for the highest good of all.

I'm always scared that maybe some not so benevolent spirits attend as well (despite of a circle and smudging etc.) and do some mischief.

Thanks,
cherry
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Can you cancel or modify a spell after having cast it?

Post by SpiritTalker »

In the situation you describe, I think you're OK, because both are the same final outcome. You aren't trying to change the original template. Basically, each spell is a thought-form. Each is a potential manifestation of energy.

If you already shut down the work & released the energy, then a new complete spell, a new thought-form, is best.

There's always exceptions like destroying the spell. A Witch's Ladder can be tossed as-is into flowing water with intent to cancel. Flowing water neutralizes the energy because water is a passive element & "pacifies" the condition.

Fire is an active element & can "activate" a new condition. Dress a candle with plain oil & set intent to name it for whatever spell is to be cancelled, i.e., "I name you X" (ex. Monday the 10th's spell on Joe.) Stand it in a bowl or cup stuck in its own wax & add water to cover the bottom. Light up & gaze at the flame until it is all you're aware of. If you wool gather bring your attention back to the flame. State three times that when the flame dies so does the power of spell X. Let the candle burn & when it reaches water lever it will be extinguished along with spell X.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I've been on the fence with the harm none thing. I mentioned this in other threads. Just by being alive we are harming a multitude of things, however I understand the concept, though the universe may not. When casting spells or praying requests state what you want and not what you don't want. It's been a theologic concept that the forces that be can't hear the word or words that contain any contraction of no . When we say, an it harm none...the universe may hear, an it harm one. It's been said the universe doesn't understand no. It's terribly hard to do...phrasing everything in the positive. Take a look at one of those catholic prayer candles you can get at the market, just to get an idea of how to keep the phrasing in the positive.
With respect to doing the spell over, Spirt talker is right on.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Like the pirates say, it's a guideline. I personally think we make too big an issue of "an' it harm none" if it ties our hands, or our guts, in knots. We have to eat to live, we harm to eat...eating is just as much an art of magic as any wish-spell, or major lunar ritual. Common sense is not suspended by magic. If in your heart, you want to smite someone, all the pretty magical cover-your-arse speeches aren't going to change the Ill-wished mind. When mind and heart agree, we are on-target and powerful. Otherwise we're just working against ourselves, dis-empowering our efforts.
By the way, these comments are not directed at the OP, and are just for conversational purposes.
cherrypie

Post by cherrypie »

Thank you for these answers, quite relieving!
It was strange anyway, yesterday. I sat there in my circle, and I guess I was not as focused as I should have been, and then I felt as if somebody was behind me, outside of the circle but behind me, which scared me a bit but then I remembered my circle and I asked to be protected and the impression vanished. Then, after having voiced my wish the incense coal started spitting and throwing out sparks (which probably was due to a crumbly coal I used under a fresh one). Scary as well in that moment, then I thought "wow!" All in all enough to do that second spell 15 minutes later and I felt better afterwards. I'm glad though that you have cleared this up for me.

BTW: what happens if I just ask for an entity to help me with my wish (meaning not calling somebody in particular like Hekate or Jupiter etc.) do I have to say it has to be someone benevolent? Is it possible for not so benevolent spirits to deceive me? How do I know?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Working with any spirit that drops in for a lookyloo is like asking strangers in off the street. You don't do it. Period. It's your home. You make the rules. How do you know if they're fooling you...common sense. Distrust flattery and "chosen one" themes. Trust your gut feeling.

Ask to meet with your current guardian spirit. It may be an ancestor or not. If you have a preference, state it. But from then on, work only with the guardian. Build your relationship and let them establish trustworthiness. And always reserve a healthy skepticism. Take responsibility for your decisions and choices. Never hand your power to someone else.

They may come to you in dreams, meditations, or small synchronicities throughout the day. Then just say hello, and that you noticed. This build relationship. Guides always wait to be invited or an indication that they may connect, and never drain your energy. They may use your excess energy, but never your vital life force. They are someone you recognize because they have always been with you.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Trust your gut when you feel a presence. We have gut feelings for a reason.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
cherrypie

Post by cherrypie »

Oookay, thank you both! That is interesting and a good lesson for me. I have read before that it is always you yourself who decides. You can take advice but have to decide in the end. what you do or what you do not.

I will try finding out who my guardian spirit is, never tried this before, only angels in general, but I am still a beginner.

Yesterday I smudged the house again and it felt great afterwards. I also smudged an old horseshoe and put it next to our main entrance. One hour later I had the fabulous idea to burn quite a bit of old newspaper etc. in our tile stove - bad idea, as it turned out. There was so much paper in the stove that it didn#t get enough oxygen to burn properly and so it smoldered. In not much time the whole storey was full of smoke and I had quite a hard time to get the smoke out of the house (coughing and red eyes included). I guess one cannot blame some spirits etc. for your own stupidity. But hey, I clear the energy in our house, put up the horse shoe against negativity from the outside and then it is myself who does the damage. Inside the house. Is there a ritual for keeping us safe from ourselves? :wink:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Yeh, it's banging our heads on the wall. Any wall can be used, but I prefer a north facing one. I have developed it into an art form. Laughing at ourselves is a good sign we still have our heads screwed on straight.

Edit:

I hope my comments haven't discouraged you from exploring spirit contacts. Just use good street sense and also remember to double check against your gut feelings. To help control things, tell your guide -just speak out loud - that you will set aside such and such day and time for regular chances to get to know one another, and keep to it. 30 min. once or twice a week, is plenty. You won't get tired and you will know that any woo-woo that happens in that half hour is more likely to be from your guide and not something uninvited. And like making any new friend you'll be nervous. Everybody is.

Use your time to meditate, doodle or automatic write...which is just writing without thinking about it. Always sit down with a pen and pencil and notebook, or any other writing media so you have a choice ready at hand. It will take a while, but you'll have a lifetime friend, always on your side who will tell you the truth, even when you don't want to hear it. No double-dealing.

An easy kick-off question to get things started is, "what would you like me to know?" don't specify anything. Leave it up to the guide. Every 6 months, evaluate progress and make adjustments. Sometimes you'll take breaks on both sides. That's ok.
Unknown

Post by Unknown »

You can also reverse a spell if you have an item that was made while casting the spell (e.g. Bag with herbs, magickally charged piece of paper, amulet etc, depends on the spell). You can use that item to create a new spell to "uncast" your old spell and then burn the item or cleanse it (amulet).
I think that would work as well, but I'm not 100% sure as I've never tried that.
cherrypie

Post by cherrypie »

Hi there,

I wasn't discouraged at all, don't mind! A bit scared, yes, but not discouraged. Last week or so I was ready to do a meditation for meeting my spirit guard. I don't know if it was what I imagined I would see but it was kind of an angelic figure, female it seems, and a very friendly and happy spirit. All she told me was positive (so I'm not sure if it was me or the real spirit):-) And then a beaver appeared. Out of nothing. I looked up what a beaver meant as a guardian animal and it seemed to be a good one, but it never appeared ever since, but I have to say I haven't meditated with the goal of meeting him/her again. I have to try once more and see if the beaver appears again.
Strange, right?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Sounds normal enough. Beaver is a home builder so seems appropriate too. A smiling, cheerful type is way nicer than a curmudgeon sourpuss. :D You could invite them to work thru your dreams to speed things up...only if you feel comfortable with the idea.
cherrypie

Post by cherrypie »

Never met the beaver again *sigh*, but I can wait. Can you ask your guidance spirits for a favour, by the way? I always thought thoses spirits are there only to, well, guide you and advise you, not to fulfill your wishes. Maybe I should get some Djinns as well? :wink2: (no, seriously, can I?)
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

cherrypie wrote:Maybe I should get some Djinns as well? (no, seriously, can I?)
I wouldn't advise it, but suit yourself.

http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 24198.html

cherrypie

Post by cherrypie »

I guess not. I had those friendly djinns from Walt Disney in mind but I guess those are not available:-)

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”