Definitions of Magical Workings: Spell, charm, hex, curse

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
wiccanii
Banned Member

Definitions of Magical Workings: Spell, charm, hex, curse

Post by wiccanii »

Well, I don't know the difference between a spell and a charm...And is a hex above a curse or is a curse above a hex? I have no idea. I've always seen it as hexes being dangerous dark magick, and curses not necessarily having to be negative. I don't know how to explain it.
Oneiroi
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Definitions of Magical Workings: Spell, charm, hex, curs

Post by Xiao Rong »

[Putting on my mod hat for a minute] For the purposes of this conversation, EUTM considers any spellwork intended to harm a particular person to be a curse; we won't do too much splitting hairs over the differences between curses and hexes. And as per forum rules, we will remove any information about how to cast curses at our discretion & continuing to post information on the subject could lead to a ban.

Thanks,
Xiao
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Ethereal Moon Rose

Post by Ethereal Moon Rose »

Hmmmm...

I don't want to upset mods so I'll try to answer as neutrally as possible. I apologize if this is against the rules.

To me the difference between a curse and a hex is: a curse is something spoken or unspoken with ill intent either directly to the person (think the evil eye) or during ritual. Whereas a hex is more elaborate, using more bells and whistles, is a lot 'darker' than a curse. Although I view curses and hexes as practically the same. (these are just my thoughts... not saying they are right... I don't recommend cursing or hexing...)

A charm is something positive usually put upon someone specific. ie a good luck charm.

A curse, hex and charm are all types of spells. A spell is anything spoken or unspoken to render desired results.

Hope this helped. Maybe someone else can chime in?
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

@ Ethereal Moon Rose: Generally speaking, the Mod Team is usually okay with definitions of cursing & talking about the ethics of cursing, but not with any practical information on how to cast. I just try to post a reminder of the rules on any threads that discuss cursing.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Ethereal Moon Rose

Post by Ethereal Moon Rose »

Phew! Thanks for clearing that up :)
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

It is confusing too when something like the term for Pennsylvania Dutch compass rose folk art talismans are called "hex signs" simply because the German word for witch is "hexe", and they are of mostly German descent in the US where we slaughter all languages with equal fervor.
Raven At Heart
Banned Member

Post by Raven At Heart »

From my understanding, a charm imbues an energy or trait into an object that didn't have it before. The same is true for enchantment.

A curse is an elemental spell geared to corrupt the energy of someone else to cause harm from the inside out.

A hex is sending a nasty spirit of some kind to ruin, corrupt or destroy someone.

A boon is an elemental magick that brings about a positive result, like luck, or drawing in companionship.

A ward is some kind of protection spell, types of wards vary.

A beacon is the opposite of a ward. Instead of keeping you safe from a bad thing, it draws in a good one.

Invocation is pulling a spirit of some kind or a powerful energy into you. Evocation is summoning a spirit or energy outside yourself. Think of the in like internal and the E like external. Conjuration is bringing forth energy or spirits. Both invocation and evocation count as such.

Manifestation is when the effect of a spell or spirit effects the physical world.

Blood magick is considered dangerous magick because it uses life force and blood as a catalyst and energy source for a spell. This is by nature very dangerous as using too much will drain or kill you.

Elemental magick is calling upon the elemental energies or elemental spirits, converting the energy and commanding it, then often releasing it to achieve the desired results.

Priest or priestess magick involves the invoking of higher spirits aka dieties or gods, and kindly asking for help. This is most commonly done with your matron and or patron goddess and or god.

Shamanic magick is often calling upon animal, plant, or ancestral spirits for assistance, as well as entering the spirit world via meditiation. The spirit world interacts with the physical one.

Mediumship is very close to shamanism except instead of animal spirits, they tend to work with human spirits and ancestral spirits.(for some stupid reason I never realized how similar a medium was to a shaman)

Casting a circle is the process of purifying a space into a sacred space, then casting magick. while it's often elemental, it is not always.

These are a few of the terms as I know and understand them.
I'm a spiteful, hateful, venomous creature, a pupil with no scruples who's no better then my teacher. Also not actually a raven.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... ia/hex.htm
The Pennsylvania Dutch used hex symbols and it is a relatively new term for these beautiful motifs that were meant to protect or to encourage certain kind of energy around the home or farm.
The above is a great link to some Hex symbols...
bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Raven At Heart
Banned Member

Post by Raven At Heart »

firebirdflys wrote:http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... ia/hex.htm
The Pennsylvania Dutch used hex symbols and it is a relatively new term for these beautiful motifs that were meant to protect or to encourage certain kind of energy around the home or farm.
The above is a great link to some Hex symbols...
bb, Firebird
I should specify, the root of hex is norse and germanic and has to do with spirits. it's not negative or positive by nature. Just like the actual definition of warlock does not come from middle english for oathbreaker(Gardenian roderick but neccesary to stop the hate of witchcraft) but from a norse root word meaning spirit caller. The more modern definition of the word hex is to evoke a nasty spirit to go after someone.
I'm a spiteful, hateful, venomous creature, a pupil with no scruples who's no better then my teacher. Also not actually a raven.
Sarina

Post by Sarina »

In German "hexe" is "witch". "Sie ist eine Hexe ", means
" she is a witch ".

Bright Blessings,
Sarina
Raven At Heart
Banned Member

Post by Raven At Heart »

Sarina wrote:In German "hexe" is "witch". "Sie ist eine Hexe ", means
" she is a witch ".
and Witch is a person touched by the spirits in old Germanic Belief.

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”