Spells in foreign language

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Unknown

Spells in foreign language

Post by Unknown »

Hello,

English is not my mother language, but I do ALL of my rituals and spells in English, because I feel more comfortable, and because most information is available in English.
Are there any non-native English speakers who do the same? Alternatively, are there any native English speakers who do rituals and spells in other languages?
Does language affect the outcome of the spell? I have to admit, it can be really useful if you live in a foreign country and don't want your neighbours to know what you're saying :)
YanaKhan

Re: Spells in foreign language

Post by YanaKhan »

I do some spells in English - if the original spell is written in English, I find it working better. There's power within words and no matter how well you can translate it, it's always better to use the original language.

I also do some rituals in other languages, for the same reason. And I do write some of my work in other alphabets too. It's mostly my thing, but if I'm working with sigils, I find it easier and more potent to do them in Glagolitic alphabet, simply because I feel a strong connection to that alphabet.

I hope this helps a little.
Betweentwosides

Post by Betweentwosides »

Me, I am not a native English, I am Turkish but I always write my spells etc in English, since I notice my own power about "words, languages and alphabets". Of course I use different alphabets so much. These days I study Theban Alphabet, also I know and understand an alphabet called "Malachim". By the way I never try to write a spell in Turkish, A bit same like YanaKhan, I think that if I use a different Alphabet or generally English, I think that it makes my spells more powerful. Now, I am just searching other alphabets.
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

I don't cast spells but if I did, I would use English. Translating them to my language would feel really strange and I think it would lose its power
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

I do all my spell work in English.

If I want to use a spell from another language, I will re-write it to make it my own. This is rare, since I usually make my own spells.
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”