When a Spell Doesn't Work, What's to Blame?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Ravenstar

When a Spell Doesn't Work, What's to Blame?

Post by Ravenstar »

Ok so what if you do a spell and it doesn't work because of the correspondences? How do you know which ones to change or better words? I know it relies on intention. If that then you don't need anything at all except for the intention?
Kassandra

Re: When a Spell Doesn't Work, What's to Blame?

Post by Kassandra »

It may not have been the correspondences that were the problem with a spell. It could be one or more of a number of other factors. You'll be able to answer your own question one day as you continue to experiment with different correspondences, as well as spell structures, plant, animal, stone, and spiritual allies (i.e., gods/goddesses, ancestors, guides, etc.). If you don't already, keep a detailed journal of all your workings, successful and unsuccessful ones. None are unsuccessful, really. All are learning experiences. I think you just have to do the homework, is all.

Cheers.

blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

Your spellwork is YOUR magick.
As Kassandra says you'll have to experiment.

I use correspondence. But as you wrote intention is even more important.

About good or right correspondence. ..

I made a powder and used it in a spell.
Wanted to sort of renew the spell and used the powder - but it didn't seem to have any effect this time.
at least it didn't show as prompt as it did the first time.
BB

Blue Moon
Ravenstar

Post by Ravenstar »

So like would a correspondence work for one person but not another since spells are personal? Blessed be.
Siona

Post by Siona »

Ravenstar wrote:So like would a correspondence work for one person but not another since spells are personal? Blessed be.
Yes, that is very possible. This is why it's very important to think about why you use any items you do, why you use any timing you do, and so on. If it all means nothing for you, tapping into the energy of the time/items will be very hard, and you will have a hard time focusing your own energy to your goals.
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

I think first and foremost its intention. Plus if the correspondences are not right that could affect the spell as well. But I also think that sometimes it might not be the right time for it to come into fruition.
wildflower

Post by wildflower »

Ravenstar wrote: If that then you don't need anything at all except for the intention?
Bingo. The props and ritual are only to help you focus your intent, your willpower. If you can do that without the toys, then go for it. That's how I've always practiced. I actually find the props distracting. I prefer to cast empty handed, with nothing but pure focus and willpower, until my entire body is buzzing with power. Magic is fun, but I find ritual to be a chore. Or maybe I'm just lazy. :wink:
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Ravenstar wrote:Ok so what if you do a spell and it doesn't work because of the correspondences? How do you know which ones to change or better words? I know it relies on intention. If that then you don't need anything at all except for the intention?
There may be a lot of reasons for this to occur, even with out correspondences and timing.

It could be because of "fate", it just was not meant to work. Most magic users I have met have had this trouble a time or two in the past.

Or unrealistic expectations, where you expect it to go one way. It ends up surprising you, which is not always a bad surprise, mind you. (I have had pleasant ones.)
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
SolitaryWoman

Post by SolitaryWoman »

Spellwork is a lot of little things that basically nudge the odds in your favor. So a spell might 'work' but if the odds are leveled heavily enough against you it could still seem like the spell didn't work. That's life, for lack of a better phrase "It just wasn't meant to be."

When it come to correspondences, that's difficult. Every hour of every day of every month has a different correspondent. Getting all the 'correct' correspondence for a spell would be damn near impossible, plus that would be some tedious spellwork. And it could still fall flat even then.

The best advice I can give for practicing magick is to, well, practice it. Experience is the best teacher, sometimes a cruel and unforgiving teacher. But no book can prepare you as well as actually doing.
You are what you love
Not who loves you
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

It is almost never the correspondences or the ingredients themselves. There is no secret combination of herbs, oils, candle colors, & days of the week that, if you get them EXACTLY right, unlocks a "cheat code" for the universe that grants you unlimited power. Most of the time, it's not meant to be, or the forces arrayed against your spell are just simply too strong. Magic is a subtle force; at best, it nudges probability in your favor and helps cause the lucky coincidence you need in order to achieve your goal. But it won't bend the laws of physics (that's why I've yet to see any telekinesis spells that actually work), which are extremely powerful. Or another example where even the best magic won't work against things that are essentially too improbable:
If you buy a ticket for every twice-weekly drawing, you should expect to win once every 2.8 million years ... Magic doesn’t cause things to happen, it improves the odds that they will happen. Work a good lottery spell and you can improve your odds of winning by 100-fold. Congratulations – you should now expect to win Powerball once every 28,000 years.
Source: Under the Ancient Oaks blog by John Beckett

That's why when you're practicing, you are far better off sticking to things that are achievable within the realm of probability -- e.g. if you want abundance, better to stick to a "get the job I want" spell & put in the effort to apply to those jobs, than to hope to win the Powerball.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

Xiao Rong wrote:
That's why when you're practicing, you are far better off sticking to things that are achievable within the realm of probability -- e.g. if you want abundance, better to stick to a "get the job I want" spell & put in the effort to apply to those jobs, than to hope to win the Powerball.
I love this, before I went to the hospital I used to keep a blog concerning pagan related things. This is a point, almost verbatim, that I would stress.

Honestly, if a spell doesn't work for me, its because I am either asking of way too much or because I haven't given it my all before hand. Sticking with the "abundance" example, if I need a better job to make ends meat, have I even started looking? Have I been applying for jobs with my best face forward? If I have been doing everything I could possibly do to get a new job and things aren't panning out, at that point I may try a "find a job spell." The way I see it, magic won't work unless I do.

That is just the way I see things :) You will always have many different opinions on stuff like this, but I love this forum for its ability to offer different solutions in a respectful way.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

Exactly right Xiao and Smogie. Magic is not doing the impossible (pulling a live rabbit out of thin air). It is making the possible more likely.
Myrth
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

and yet it could be as simple
as your intent needs re-wording !
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
WiccanWitch

Post by WiccanWitch »

All prayers are heard if you can accept the answer is sometimes no. That is wisdom from the bible. I'm sure it holds true in this sense as well. But also as a novice I'm sure spells can fall flat from inability to focus the energy correctly, imperfections or impurities in the workings of it. I am of the mind it is intent that drives energy more than following a recipe but it still requires practice.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”