Secret EUTM Yule Swap?

If you have a suggestion or comment about the board you can share it here.
Becks

Secret EUTM Yule Swap?

Post by Becks »

Hi Everybody!

This year the Winter Solstice falls on December 22nd. I was thinking of an excellent activity first introduced to me by a personal mentor-Ray. I did run this by Xiao, and I think it's a great opportunity to make our EUTM community more connected.

I would like to propose that we engage in a Secret World-wide ETUM Yule Swap! I will take on the responsibility for organizing this activity. It would require that each person that decides to participate to send me a pm with your real name and correct mailing address. Consider this carefully. I will commit to keeping this information private, and not sharing it with anyone except the person that receives your name in the swap. Each person participating in the swap will receive a name and address of an EUTM participant that I pick out randomly and magically from my medicine bag. It is your responsibility to mail that person a Yule treat with enough shipping time so that their gift arrives by Yule. We will then open our gifts at Yule!

It is so much fun to guess and wonder about who sends to whom.....when the packages start to arrive and the energy comes with it-it's all so exciting!

Perhaps we set a limit that gifts do not exceed $20 in value? They do not have to be purchased. In fact, some of the best gifts are made, and best of all-we can call on your creative 'selves! This can be creative, and shouldn't be cost prohibitive for the community. This total does not include the shipping costs to the recipient's country.

Some important things to consider:

1) We are a world wide community-if you are prepared to ship to somebody across the miles that is terrific, but if you are limited in terms of your resources let me know and I'll try to give you somebody who is closer or if possible, or within your own country. I will do my best.

2) Be aware! Some countries like Australia are very prohibitive in terms of what can be shipped in the mail. Items like wood, plant material, and animal products are strictly prohibited. It is your responsibility to have a look online at their post office websites regarding which items are permitted into your recipient's country. If you need help researching-I'd love to

3) Be sure to mail in plenty of time for Yule. I will put up reminder threads regarding mailing. It is up to you to check your local post to know what the cut off is. Nobody likes a late Yule gift while others are opening....

4) If you commit to this community project-it is your responsibility to follow through. Consider carefully how you would feel to send out a gift with care and love-only to be left out.

5) Do not open until Yule! (or Litha-the summer solstice for our southern hemisphere pagan friends) in your time zone....

6) Don't share who you have, or when it comes in, who has you. The mystery is the best!

So, if you have read this and are feeling excited like I am-send me a pm!

Be sure to include in your pm:

1) Your real name.
2) Correct mailing address.
3) Any allergies. (Consider that we often work in oils, herbs etc)
4) Limitations you may have for shipping.

I propose leaving this thread up and closing it officially to participants on the Equinox-Wednesday September 23rd. That way people have time to think, see this thread, visit the site....then I can get the names out so we can all get going.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions!
bluejay_1919

Re: Secret EUTM Yule Swap?

Post by bluejay_1919 »

I belong on another forum for people that own Sphynx cats and we do Christmas in July. This was my first time participating and it was so much fun giving & receiving! We had to list our likes & dislikes,hobbies and any other tidbits that would give the other person an idea about the person they got. My favorite was a crocheted "sack" for my kitties to sleep in. So yes, homemade gifts are awesome! After you received your gift(s), we posted pics and thanks to the person that sent it.

I think this is a fantastic idea and it gives the community a chance to get to know each other!!
Becks

Post by Becks »

That's so excellent. Great suggestions. I was rather hoping to post a thread for opening and pictures etc.
Also, that's a really handy idea about creating a thread of likes and dislikes for participants. :)
Silversong
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow (if the rainbow is in Oregon)

Post by Silversong »

Ooh... I really, really want to participate... but I'm also underage, and I'm not sure how my mother would feel about it. I have ten days; let me think about it and decide whether or not to even bring it up to her. In other words, //track so I don't forget about this until it's too late.

Would we put a card/message/note/whatever on the gift, and if so, would we be putting our names (real or otherwise) on it, or keep it secret forever? XD
Becks

Post by Becks »

That's a very good thought on your part-I'm glad you are thinking about that stuff. Minors should check with guardians absolutely.

I think I understand your question, but if I don't answer it correctly do let me know...you will know the real name of your recipient and they will know yours because shipping addresses have to have our real identities. When I have participated in this kind of thing in the past-we did include cards and notes, and as a result had the amazing opportunity to know a few community members better. When we posted about our gifts and opening it it was on the website as our website names. So for example I would post something like, "Silvering was my secret swap and she sent me a....."

Does that answer your question Silversong?
Silversong

Post by Silversong »

Well, it would kind of be a bad thing if a package showed up in the mail with my name on it from a completely unfamiliar name and Mom was like, "Silver, who is this person?" and I had to explain after the fact XD I really, really want to participate, but I'm not at all sure if she'll let me. Maybe, hopefully. I might give a PO box instead of our living address, or however it works when you pick up a package at the post office instead of them delivering it to your house (*clueless teenager has no idea what she's talking about* XD). That might convince her. Hrm. She also might end up using my account or her email or something to talk to you directly about it, in which case I'll try to make sure she remembers to sign as a different name.

Yes. Thank you. Actually, that more than answered my question XD
Becks

Post by Becks »

No problem. If you like feel free to pm me for my email address if your Mom wants to contact me personally with any questions. The forum is transparent and user friendly so she can check it out as well. I think it's still the Internet, and people should be cautious. That's a good thing. I don't know who would ultimately get you in the swap, but if it becomes an issue I can see how many participants we get and maybe try to pair up minors with other minors? So far there isn't a lot of interest, and that's okay-it's early yet. We can see how it develops; if at all :)
Becks

Post by Becks »

I just wanted to give this a bump so it stays up in the active threads, and also to make sure folks know that comments and suggestions are always welcome.
Silversong

Post by Silversong »

Come on, people, this is a good idea, don't let it die XD
Silversong

Post by Silversong »

So, update.
I brought it up to Mom, and the final verdict is still out, but here's the basic idea, which I'm putting here and not via PM so others in the same position can see:
I'm going to see if we can have the post office hold it for us, so I don't have to give a mailing address and probably don't have to give a name. She refuses to let me give a mailing address. That way, I can pick my package up there and send my gift from there. If that works out, I'll send you that information; if not, I'll let you know.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

The UPS Store rents mailboxes. I don't know the cost, but that might be an option for folks who would like to participate while maintaining at least a bit of anonymity.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Silversong

Post by Silversong »

Thank you, Snow! That should be problem solved, then! I'll look into it immediately.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

To quote Spud Jones, "I live to serve!"

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Becks

Post by Becks »

Hi folks! Just checking in here. I was initially going to close the project this Wednesday so that we can get crafting and creating. I can extend it if we need more time.

My questions to you all is: does anybody need more time to consider this? Are there any challenges that have prevented you from participating in you were interested? Silversong made an excellent point with much of our community is under age and so there are justified family concerns about safety and identity. Snow had a good suggestion in terms of one possible solution to that.

I'd love to hear any are a few of us already and so we can proceed, but this is a case of "the more the merrier" for sure. :flyingwitch:

Have a lovely weekend all! loveface
Silversong

Post by Silversong »

I need to remember to check in with the UPS place about renting a mailbox.

Return to “Suggestions/Comments”