I have my tarot deck, now how to continue?

For discussion and questions about the tarot.
Dionysus

I have my tarot deck, now how to continue?

Post by Dionysus »

Hi ;)
as I am new to Tarot, I need some advice.
I have my tarot deck, now I would like to know how to practice alone.
I would like some suggestions please :)
I think that you can't read for yourself, Correct or not?

Blessed be!
New witch!
mrsdavid1975

Re: I have my tarot deck, now how to continue?

Post by mrsdavid1975 »

Sure ya can. I read for myself all the time. .. The trick is to keep it simple. You don't look at a magician card EVERY time it comes up and go " oh. They're cheating on me. Or I'm being swindled .." And the 3 of swords isn't always cheating and heartbreak. It's about painting a picture and seeing the landscape instead of individual trees.
grlry

Post by grlry »

mrsdavid1975 wrote:Sure ya can. I read for myself all the time. .. The trick is to keep it simple. You don't look at a magician card EVERY time it comes up and go " oh. They're cheating on me. Or I'm being swindled .." And the 3 of swords isn't always cheating and heartbreak. It's about painting a picture and seeing the landscape instead of individual trees.
Realizing that no matter who you read for, it's about the whole picture, not just the card might be the hardest part!
mrsdavid1975

Post by mrsdavid1975 »

This is the dang truth.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

I done readings for myself more than I've done readings for others. It's how we learn at first. Trying it out, doing out interpretations, keeping records and then comparing the cards with actual situations so you can devise the intended meaning behind the cards. In time, patterns start emerging.

There are an innumerable number of books, blogs, web pages, etc... regarding using Tarot in several different ways (divination, spell crafting, meditation, etc...). Take the time, understand that it's a process (I've been using Tarot cards for over a decade and I'm still learning it), and enjoy it.
Silversong
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow (if the rainbow is in Oregon)

Post by Silversong »

Dionysus wrote:Hi ;)
as I am new to Tarot, I need some advice.
I have my tarot deck, now I would like to know how to practice alone.
I would like some suggestions please :)
I think that you can't read for yourself, Correct or not?

I have yet to do a reading for anyone else, though if one of my closest friends asked me, I would probably agree. (Not that they would, I don't think XD) However, I have done multiple readings for myself. There is absolutely nothing against doing readings for yourself; in fact, there are many people who don't do readings for anyone but themselves, especially when they're just starting out.

For me, tarot is a highly intuitive art. I have a single deck that I feel an extremely strong connection to, possibly partially because I've had it since I was pretty young, and have yet to find another deck that works for me. (I can also never remember what the deck is called -.-) However, my one deck works absolutely brilliantly, and it has yet to fail me. The first time I did a serious reading, when I was maybe nine or ten, it was a simple three-card past-present-future spread and I remember that past and present were accurate enough to unnerve me, and I think I looked back on it maybe two weeks later and the reading as a whole was so accurate it actually scared me a little and I didn't touch the deck for almost a year XD I don't know why. Still, my beloved cards have never yet given me a reading any less accurate than that first one, and they have warned me of emotional danger for both myself and my friends more than once (and were always right). I believe I have averted at least one relationship disaster and saved one of my most important friendships by taking the hint from the universe - first from intuitive instinct, which then proceeded to manifest in the reading I did - and ending the attempt at a romantic relationship before it could turn sour.

And now I'm rambling. Whoop-ee, this is why we don't let Silver get started on something like this XD

My point is, there is very little "right" or "wrong" with tarot, as is true with much of the Craft. Feel free to ask questions here; we'll always do our best to answer!
Dionysus

Post by Dionysus »

Is the Tarot Rider-Waite Cards Esoteric Baroque Gothic Tarot cards good so start with?
Blessed be!
New witch!
Silversong
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow (if the rainbow is in Oregon)

Post by Silversong »

It really depends on you. If you like the cards, and feel like they're right for you, then by all means go ahead.
Becks

Post by Becks »

I agree with the folks above. Pick a deck you like. I think anything based in the traditional Rider-Waite is great for beginning. I was 12 and bought the Thoth...okay that was a bit much for me at the time, but when I went back to tarot as an adult I picked a different deck to start with.....and then I bought the Thoth again when I was actually ready.

I suggest you think about cleansing and dedicating your deck. I cleanse any new magical tools.

My own methods for learning very much echo Vesca's methods. I began working with tarot by doing a personal reading each night. I wrote it all down and kept a journal at the time. The cards came to have meanings for me that added to the books interpretation. Over time I was able to make connection and glean relationships. I am largely an intuitive reader and have MUCH to learn. It's very much an ongoing process for me, but it's great. I can feel the cards when, on the rare occasion, I read for another....they don't feel like they are for me...so meaning changes.

Oh and maybe consider reading a good story about the major arcana to help you remember the story and put it in context.

Have fun and keep us posted.
Chalice

Post by Chalice »

People are not going to like what I say, but here goes

Pull random cards all day long and about anything. Use the deck. See how accurate it can be.

I did this for a while, to really understand Tarot. It's a bit like practicing an instrument.

Now I only pull cards occasionally.

Also consider an online class like at Magicka School that teachers about the numerology, the astrology and symbolism in each card.
Witchcraft & OBOD Druidry.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Chalice wrote:People are not going to like what I say, but here goes

Pull random cards all day long and about anything. Use the deck. See how accurate it can be.

I did this for a while, to really understand Tarot. It's a bit like practicing an instrument.
This is a really good way to get used to the cards and your deck too. Reminds me a bit of that "card a day" meditation exercise.
Becks

Post by Becks »

Chalice wrote:People are not going to like what I say, but here goes

Now I only pull cards occasionally.

Also consider an online class like at Magicka School that teachers about the numerology, the astrology and symbolism in each card.
I agree - that's a great technique.

Return to “Tarot Talk”