Difference between Wanting and Attraction?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
secretisis

Difference between Wanting and Attraction?

Post by secretisis »

I have always been obsessed with England, Ireland, Scotland, for as long as I can remember. I love the history, the Celts, the gods and goddesses.
I've always wished I was a Celtic derived pagan, but I just don't feel it. I want it, but I don't feel any kind of draw towards it. Makes me sad, but I know it's for a reason, and I still love reading about them all.
Since I was 9 I was drawn to Egypt and Isis, and I'm drawn to Hindu gods and goddesses.
Anyone else feel pulled to certain pantheons and not others?
Who do you mainly work with or feel strong attractions too?
Figured this could be a good discussion, if it hasn't been done already??
Vesca

Re: Difference between Wanting and Attraction?

Post by Vesca »

I, too, have an interest in the Celtic and Irish beliefs. Faeries and the ogham, in particular. Although lately I've been thinking of reading a bit more into a few of the deities.

But the hard truth is I am now, and have always been, firmly in the realm of the Slavic path and because of that sense of "belonging," I doubt it will ever change. It doesn't stop me from reading, learning, and noting some of the similarities between the different regions and their stories though. :)
Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn »

It's interesting that you post this topic now! I've always been connected to the celtic deities since I started on this path in 2007. I never felt pulled anywhere else... until now. I have developed an "interest" in the norse pantheon- and I'm trying to figure out if it's a sense of belonging as Vesca describes, or if it's just me being curious. It never occurred to me to have a dedication to deities from more than one pantheon (I know it's perfectly valid and others do it, but it's never been my path). Now that I've been researching and looking into norse gods, I'm beginning to feel.. guilty?

Other than this, I feel no pull to any pantheons whatsoever. Never had that tickling feeling with Roman, Greek, Egyptian, Hindu, etc.

I think this will be a fun discussion!
secretisis

Post by secretisis »

I've been interested in Norse as well, but like with the Celtic, I have no pull towards it. I do like reading about it though. I have a world's mythology book and it's very enlightening!
Arianna Kigyosy

Post by Arianna Kigyosy »

I felt quite similar than you before. A few years ago I tried to connect with the Norse gods. I was enchanted by the Edda and I thought I could work with Norse deities. I tried first with Skadi, and it was completely a failure. I has never sensed her presents, and she has never accepted my offerings. And then I was just getting understand, why. I have quite different personality than her. For example she is a strong independent women, and I have a unique relationship with my boyfriend, so I can’t be as independent as she. Or, she like the wolf. Me either, but I’m that typical crazy cat lady.

I like you suggest to try to figure out what is the difference you and the celtic gods you’d like to worship. I think, it’s easier to connect deities who are similar personality than you, this kind of connection worked better in my case.
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

Great topic.

I felt drawn to Hindu Gods/Goddesses but I wasnt actively searching them out. I was trying to connect with a different pantheon and it just didnt work.

But now I work mostly hindu and it has been such an amazing and deep connection that Im glad I didnt ignore that. I have recently gone to a more Shakti path so I work primarily with Shakti in the forms of Durga, Lakshmi and Saraswati. I'm trying to learn more and study the path deeper but its really hard to find sources in a more Pagan way. Most of it comes from the Hinduism point of view obviously. I dont feel like I am a Hindu, or following that.

Im kind of creating my path as I go now.
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

I have always loved all things Celtic. It's had to do my heritage. Though I'm quite a mix. Probably more dutch than anything. However, as much as I wanted to be drawn to a particular Celtic god/goddess, I found myself working with Athena. But then I connected some with Brigid. I was very excited. But that didn't really last. I've been drawn to Norse lately, but in my searching, I've found myself back around to Greek, only this time Aphrodite. It's all very complicated. lol Though I believe they are all connected anyway. I'm doing my best to 'let go' and go with where I'm taken.
Veronica_Rose

Post by Veronica_Rose »

Hi secretisis :)

This is a great question! I really do think there's a difference between wanting and attraction. I think this difference is actually happening to me at the moment.
When I was younger, I had an infatuation with the Greek pantheon. I had learned a lot of the mythology because I believe we were learning about ancient Greece in school, and I went above and beyond in my learning because I liked it. When I first found Wicca, I tried to incorporate the Greek pantheon into my practice... However, I never felt a real connection. Eventually I fell out of practicing Wicca because of complication in my life...

Now that I'm back, I actually disassociated with any pantheon. I didn't want to declare a pantheon and "devote" to any Gods/Goddess without a connection, like the first time. So I research, but don't attach myself to any pantheon because I like it or want it. Recently, I've come across the Hindu pantheon, and this feeling I'm getting is different than want. It's feels like a drawing in... I'm not even entirely sure yet, so I'm going to do more research and meditate on this. But, I know the feeling is different than my liking to the Greek Gods/Goddess before.

I hope that helped! Really, I know when your pantheon (or other path!) to the
God and Goddess comes around, you'll know it.
Blessed Be xx
"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns,
or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."

Brightest Blessings xx Veronica Rose
Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn »

I love reading people's insights into this! I think it would also be really fun for us to come back and read our responses in a year, two years, and see where we stand! I'm just thinking of what my answer would have been two years ago, compared to where I am now. I'm going down a path I never would have predicted for myself back then.

Since my last post a few weeks ago, I have let go of my guilt regarding leaving the celtic pantheon behind (for now) and moving towards the norse. I am typing this as my new Freyja statue looks on, which I will be placing on her altar as soon as I've completed it. :)
Gray Pool

Post by Gray Pool »

I've been attracted to the ancient Greek pantheon ever since I was young, we didn't learn it in school, but I was always infatuated with it-I spent a whole year once reading nothing but the whole mythology section in my local library. When I discovered wicca, I felt a connection... they were right for me. I haven't really explored other pantheons besides the Egyptian one-ancient Greek just feels so right.
Omnitheist. Caracal and pronghorn therian (if you have questions, ask please). Haven't found my specialty yet.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”