Tea, Anyone?

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Tea, Anyone?

Post by Seraphin »

It seems we have few fans of teas here, so why not tell us whats on your shelf and what properties they have - oh and if they taste good too!!!
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Seraphin

Re: Tea, Anyone?

Post by Seraphin »

I'm an herbalist, so I make a lot of teas. For myself, with summer coming up (here in South East Asia), I'll make a pot of what I call "Simply Soothing, Cooling Tea": Astragalus (milk vetch) root powder, Rose buds, Common Sage, and dried Mulberries.

The herbs in this formula have no known drug interactions, but sage shouldn't be used by pregnant or nursing mothers or by anyone who has epilepsy. Each herb is included for its cooling properties, although of course they have other properties as well.

The formula is intended for both men and women to keep the body cool during the summer, as well as for older women who are dealing with hot flashes. In the case of the latter, more consistent (daily) use can be much more effective than casual use, as the Astragalus and Mulberries are adaptogenic (they work best over time).

Interesting to me that Sage can be a cooling herb, since some types (and uses) of sage actually promote perspiration, but there ya have it. When me and my fiancee have fever or flu, a cup of this tea will keep me cooled down for a good two to four hours.

In the summer I drink it cold, although really it's best to drink remedy teas at room temperature or warmer for best effect because when they're consumed cold, the body must warm the tea before it can be properly absorbed into the system. To compensate for the delayed absorption I just sip the tea throughout the day.

Okay, that's one. Won't fill up the board with my recipes! Hee...

How about yours?
Seraphin

smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

I wish I had recipes, but I am spoiled. My fiance works at a coffee roastery where they also specialize in teas so he will bring home many different blends for me once a week or so. I'm trying my hand at herbalism, though, so I try to add in herbs in my steeper that may be benificial for me- Sage and mint during the summer always helps to keep me cool plus both of them are diuretics which is good for my high blood pressure, ginger and lemon to help my sore stomach- stuff like that.

My favorite summertime drink is an iced green tea. In the ice, I will freeze sage, mint and lemon rind.
My favorite winder drink is ginger and lemon- i like it spicy :)
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Eh I'm not quite at the skill level where I can make my own teas, but I hope to one day!

I have a tea-space in my home, which is basically a part of a counter and cupboard with about 40 different variations and types of black tea, herbal tea, and various blends.

I always keep lemon on hand (for colds), I have a few black/vanilla blends, some fruity/black blends (blood orange + black, pomegranate, etc..), a few different brands of Irish, Scottish and Breakfast teas, a few dessert teas involving toffee and caramel mixes, a few holiday mixes that involve cloves and orange or apple, a few different types of assam, earl grey (both creamy, and non), damiana, elderberry and black currant, and a few other sample packets that I haven't tried out yet.

Yeah.. I'm a wee bit obsessive about tea...
Aesennyll-IF
Tarot Reader
Tarot Reader

Post by Aesennyll-IF »

ummmm
this all sounds so good.
i'm really fond of earl grey, especially the fragrance
just breathing it while it steeps is sooo soothing.

in light
unity :inlove: in like mind
jealousy, and bitterness erode the soul. conversation to clarify.
Forgiveness frees the heart.
Seraphin

Post by Seraphin »

Tea-drinking is really the new craze? Well, it's been so in many countries, but the fever seems to be catching on in forums. YAY!
Seraphin

AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

Im studying Herbalism currently and love working with herbs.

My new favorite tea/herb to drink is Tulsi. It's stress releiving, adaptogen, full of antioxidants
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

While I'm more of a coffee person, I do love tea! I would love to try to do my own some day. But for now, I rely on the store. I always have peppermint, chamomile, and recently started keeping Ginger tea. I keep a couple nighttime and relaxation types. I have anxiety so some days coffee is actually a bad idea. I have a couple holiday teas. I occasionally drink Irish or English breakfast tea. I'm out though. I have never seen a Scottish breakfast tea! That exists? lol My name is due to my Scottish heritage and my love of purple. :) There was a milk thistle tea I tried when I was visiting my mother in California. I cannot find it here. I need to have her send me some. :) I usually have quite a collection sitting around. The only green tea I like that I've tried is a Moroccan mint. I'll end my tea rambles now. :)
earthsister

Post by earthsister »

Green Tea -antioxidant
Peppermint - digestive
Fennel - don't know but I like the taste
great for cellulite, good for breast firming,and massage to promote good breast milk.chew seeds for breathe freshener, and leaves steam for facial bath ...chop leaves and sprinkle over vegetables
Nettle - can't remember
Lemon and ginger - pick me up
Peach and Echnicea -boosts the immune system
Seraphin

Post by Seraphin »

Nettle's good for about a zillion reasons; it's high in silica, which is great for hair and nails, and it's particularly supportive of the skin (which is the largest organ of the body, and often the least attended to, in terms of internal support).

Echinacea should not be used by folks who have allergies. The allergic response involves a part of the immune system that is over stimulated; Echinacea stimulates the entire immune system, including the parts that are already over stimulated. For folks who have any sort of immune imbalance, there are several herbs that help balance the immune system (rather than stimulate it) so that it functions at its best:

Astragalus root (astragalus membranaceus), aka Milk Vetch or Chinese (Pin Yin) Huang Qi, is something that can be used in tea or added to soup, stew, and even rice and quinoa. You do have to remove the root before serving when you cook with it because the root is very woody, so best to purchase astragalus in its sliced form (the slices look a bit like tongue depressors). Too, when buying astragalus, the larger the root, the better the potency. It's become so popular that the plant is sometimes harvested too young, and the roots are small. That's not the best, and I think the small amount you'd save buying the younger roots is not worth the lessened potency. A pound of astragalus root should be sufficient for cooking throughout the colder, darker months of the year and really isn't expensive; my best source for this is a local Chinese herb shop, but it can be found online.

Codonopsis root (radix codonopsis), Chinese (Pin Yin) Dang Shen, is often called "poor man's ginseng" because of its ginseng-like properties. I actually think it's a better choice than ginseng, as codonopsis doesn't present the danger of over-stimulation (and increased blood pressure), and is much gentler on the system. Great for balancing the immune system, codonopsis root is another one that can be incorporated into the diet. The root is kind of ugly to look at, but has a lovely, subtle nutty flavor. Bought as dried root, it can easily be re-hydrated and used in soup, stew, rice, quinoa, and even stir fry (among other things). It's also a nice addition to any tea blend.
Seraphin

YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

When I lived in England, I was literally shocked seeing how much tea British people drink. While here you only drink tea when ill :)
I like tea, I have about 10 different sorts of it (these are the ones I drink because I like them, not the healing ones).
My favorite is Mursalski tea (http://www.mursalskitea.net/), which is said to be some kind of panacea (I don't really believe it is, but I like the taste of it).
I also like ginger tea, but it's kinda pungent, so I add some cinnamon to it. It works miracles with colds and sore throat.
Other than that, I make tea with some herbs like mint for example. Or thyme and peppermint - this one is calming and helps me sleep.
When my daughter was a baby and had stomachache, I made her dill tea - it really soothes the stomach.
I could think of many herbal teas that help with certain things, but I could really write a novel on the subject, so if you would like me to give you a herbal recipe, you need to tell me :)
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Now I kind of just want the book.... ;)
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

I have several books on herbalism - like Maria Treben's "Health Through God's Pharmacy" and Petar Dimkov's herbal recipes that are not only teas, but also different remedies, compresses and such. It's a lot of info and perhaps these days, I'll manage to make a thread.
I can give you a natural hair dye (black) -
200 gr nettle roots, cut in small pieces are to boil in 1l of water and 250 ml vinegar until the liquid becomes half a liter.
Put that in a bottle and massage your scalp with it every night.
Flamewood

Post by Flamewood »

My current favourite is smoked black tea. It tastes kind of like how campfires smell
springsgrace

Post by springsgrace »

I like to chill green tea and add mint, lemon, cucumbers etc, and drink it out of a water bottle. Very yum, tastes like juice, and healthy too!
| cerelia | oceania | eclectic wiccan |

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”