Does anyone follow any of the Egyptians Gods and Goddesses?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
mangosandy82

Does anyone follow any of the Egyptians Gods and Goddesses?

Post by mangosandy82 »

I feel more drawn to them than the greek gods and goddesses. Like Bast the cat goddess. I've had many dreams about cats. Maybe that was her calling me? I also like Ra, and Isis, Nut, and Tefnut, and Geb. There are so many Gods and Goddesses that catch my eye.

What offerings do you offer them?
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: Does anyone follow any of the Egyptians Gods and Goddess

Post by SnowCat »

1st work with Bast and Sekhmet, and have occasional dealings with Anubis. I don't do specific offerings, but we communicate and I do a lot of cat rescue and feral cat care. That seems to work for us.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Siona

Post by Siona »

Rich beer and cold water are very common offerings to almost all Egyptian deities. I worked with Nut in particular for quite a few years, and I also find she enjoys milk, almonds, white flowers (especially night blooming types), floral incense, green stones, small pots, boxes, and that sort of thing. Ra seemed to prefer very rich foods, and frankincense.
mangosandy82

Post by mangosandy82 »

Siona wrote:Rich beer and cold water are very common offerings to almost all Egyptian deities. I worked with Nut in particular for quite a few years, and I also find she enjoys milk, almonds, white flowers (especially night blooming types), floral incense, green stones, small pots, boxes, and that sort of thing. Ra seemed to prefer very rich foods, and frankincense.
What incense offerings does Nut enjoy? I don't usually give food as offerings. I offer incense to the gods everyday. I'll have to buy some frankincense incense when I go out today. I just hope that Walmart has it. I offered Bast a cat toy and a few pieces of cat food from my cat. I feel that she is very easy going than the other goddesses. IDKY?
Siona

Post by Siona »

Various floral incenses - not rose (at least in my experience), but most others like jasmine, lotus, lilac, cherry blossom, and apple blossom as a few examples. Vanilla and sandalwood seem to be enjoyed as well. Kapet (kyphi) was also a very popular Egyptian blend used in worship of many deities historically, and that seems to go over well with many of the Egyptian deities. Not always easy to find in stores, though, usually have to look online (or make it yourself, although it's a bit of a long process!).
Moonfire

Post by Moonfire »

I also found that Ra seems to enjoy wine. :3 I would sometimes give him tea but he didn't always seem interested.
Sau

Post by Sau »

I work with the Egyptian pantheon, I would avoid giving Bast cat food and cat toys, The gods were not actually animals. They were identified with them, the same way we identify ourselves with a spirit animal. Mind you if your intent was pure I'm sure she liked it.
In ancient Egypt, food and drink was commonly given, the priests would offer a meal or drink to the gods during a ritual. When the ritual was finished they would eat and drink the offering themselves or during festivals it would be given to the people outside of the temple. The idea is that we eat the physical and the spirit gets the rest. It is important that you or someone or something eats or drinks the offering and it doesn't go to waste, so the food or drinks you offer would have to be something you are comfortable ingesting, unless you would like to add the sacrifice of eating or drinking something you don't like to the offering.

An offering can be anything, from lighting a candle, burning incense or just researching and giving your time to the spirit.
When you give the offering, focus on the deity you are giving the offering to. Make your intent clear, I have found that it is the thought that counts, the time and energy we give is the most important.

Once you start to develop a relationship with a spirit it may make suggestions as to what you could offer or what it would enjoy, just trust your instincts.

Some common universal offerings to start with could be, water, milk, bread and honey (bread and cakes were big in Egypt), alcohol (if you are of age), and burning candles and incense. If you have a favourite drink or food, try that.
Moonfire

Post by Moonfire »

I would also like to add that sharing some of your favorite things with them is something that they seem to appreciate. I love oreos and I shared them with Thoth and he loved them. Also, I found if you give offerings that are based over something they are known to rule, then they are usually liked. For Thoth I keep a journal and a pencil on my altar and any time I hear a quote, line or something that inspires me, I write it down for him. He is the God of writing so its something that honors him well. And with Ra I would leave him offerings of Sun incense. :3
mangosandy82

Post by mangosandy82 »

Sau wrote:I work with the Egyptian pantheon, I would avoid giving Bast cat food and cat toys, The gods were not actually animals. They were identified with them, the same way we identify ourselves with a spirit animal. Mind you if your intent was pure I'm sure she liked it.
In ancient Egypt, food and drink was commonly given, the priests would offer a meal or drink to the gods during a ritual. When the ritual was finished they would eat and drink the offering themselves or during festivals it would be given to the people outside of the temple. The idea is that we eat the physical and the spirit gets the rest. It is important that you or someone or something eats or drinks the offering and it doesn't go to waste, so the food or drinks you offer would have to be something you are comfortable ingesting, unless you would like to add the sacrifice of eating or drinking something you don't like to the offering.

An offering can be anything, from lighting a candle, burning incense or just researching and giving your time to the spirit.
When you give the offering, focus on the deity you are giving the offering to. Make your intent clear, I have found that it is the thought that counts, the time and energy we give is the most important.

Once you start to develop a relationship with a spirit it may make suggestions as to what you could offer or what it would enjoy, just trust your instincts.

Some common universal offerings to start with could be, water, milk, bread and honey (bread and cakes were big in Egypt), alcohol (if you are of age), and burning candles and incense. If you have a favourite drink or food, try that.
Thank you for that. I'll have to do that. I research different gods all the time. Right now I am working with Ra and Gaia. I once had a thought that I think Ra would like a hazelnut candle burnt for him. This post reminded me of that thought I had once when I was at Walmart. Whenever I am able I will go get that candle and burn it for Ra. I don't know why that thought came to me. Maybe it was him. I don't usually offer food because I don't want ants to get it. The gods wont mind if I eat it? For a while there I was offering up orange tea (it was just tea from turkey hill) and drinking it for them.
mangosandy82

Post by mangosandy82 »

Moonfire wrote:I would also like to add that sharing some of your favorite things with them is something that they seem to appreciate. I love oreos and I shared them with Thoth and he loved them. Also, I found if you give offerings that are based over something they are known to rule, then they are usually liked. For Thoth I keep a journal and a pencil on my altar and any time I hear a quote, line or something that inspires me, I write it down for him. He is the God of writing so its something that honors him well. And with Ra I would leave him offerings of Sun incense. :3
I'll have to do that too. Thanks!
duckcat

Post by duckcat »

I follow isis, her counterpart, but not as much as i follow her, and bast. Im starting to gain interest in ma'at due to circumstances of my life. I would like order and rigjtful justic to be brought to my situation or at least an idea that things will work out. What are her preferences? I cant find too many online believe it or not.
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

Ma'at is one of my fiancee's Deities. Monthly, she's doing a ritual for Her. The ritual is generally for forgiveness and repentance. According to my fiancee, one needs to do this before enlisting Her for help or assistance.

She has an ostrich feather here which she held closely in her heart while asking for forgiveness and repenting (if you don't have ostrich feather, you may use any kind of feather.) She called the ceremony, "The Weighing of Heart". Here, she's regretting her thinking and embracing the authority of Ma'at as the first principle in all of her reasoning. Doing this, she's exercising her wills by turning to the Goddess through acts of repentance (confession, acts of charity, etc).

Genuine "Weighing of Heart" Ceremony will entirely change you. It's an act of profound respect over what Ma'at has done on your behalf. It will change your perceptions and turn around the face the truth. It doesn't identify the whole person with transgression or their mistakes, but rather regards them as pardonable, worthy and valuable.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”