Prayer in Paganism

Many pagans and witches use prayer as a form of worship and for requesting help from deities. Share and discuss prayers here.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Prayer in Paganism

Post by loona wynd »

Prayer in Paganism

Most of the world is familiar with prayer in the context of Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. Many people even if they have never learned the prayer themselves know of "The Lords Prayer" as well as "Hail Mary". These two prayers are often the first thing people think about when the concept of prayer is discussed.

Many books on witchcraft, Wicca, and paganism talk about formal rituals and offerings to the Gods and spirits, but not about prayer, and a lot of that may be due to the cultural associations of prayer and the Abrahamic religions. Its expected that those who belong to or follow one of those three religions will pray and offer prayer. Its a component of those faiths drilled into the followers. Its not expected or often associated that Pagans and witches will pray to their Gods.

So what is prayer in paganism and witchcraft?

Prayer in paganism and witchcraft is the same thing as it is in any other religion. Prayer is communication between yourself and the Gods and spirits that you work with. Its a way of connecting to your deities and spirits on a regular basis. Its a way to have a connection to them on a daily basis with out the need of a full circle or ritual. Prayer is worship, magic, and meditation all in one.

In a way prayers are very much like spells and rituals in that there are many different types and styles of prayer. Just as with formal spell work and ritual work we need to as individuals find out what styles and practices make the most sense to you and work best for you. When it comes to prayers specifically the Gods and spirits we work with will guide us in the right direction. Often times I feel when I write a prayer they are actually the ones writing it. I'm just channeling the words based on the feelings and images I get.

There are several different types of prayer. Here is a list of five types of prayer I have found:

Magical Prayer-spells enacted with prayer
Worship-Prayers honoring the Gods and spirits
Petition Prayers-Asking for help from the Gods not necessarily with magic (most common type of prayer)
Gratitude Prayers-Prayers of thanks and appreciation
Communication Prayers-Prayers simply to communicate with deities and spirits (would best be used prior to trance and meditative work where you are traveling in spirit to meet with the Gods or spirits being prayed to).

What makes pagan prayer different?

The only real difference with pagan prayer to Christian or Abrahamic prayer is the nature of the deities and spirits we are praying with. In the Abrahamic religions prayers can only go to one being-God. Even in Catholocism the prayers to the saints are more like you asking them to pray for you than praying to them. The prayers still go to God directly, just through saints and angels in Catholicism rather than Jesus or God.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Re: Prayer in Paganism

Post by loona wynd »

Components of prayer

No matter what type or style of prayer you are saying, in the end prayer really consists of three primary parts. Each part of the prayer can be as simple or as elaborate as you would like. Prayers do not need to be long. They can be three lines, or even one line that addresses all aspects of the prayer. When you write a prayer the spirit or being that the prayer is being directed to will often help you form the prayer as the prayer is going to their energy signature.

So what are the three parts of the prayer?

You have the invocation or call. Then you have the purpose or intent of the prayer. The last part of the prayer is the action,offering,and closing of the prayer. When you work these three components together its easy to see how prayers can effectively be a mini ritual all by themselves. Rituals include an invocation or call to the spirits for the work, the actual work of the ritual, the offering and the closing. This is why prayers can be effective as rituals all by themselves both for magical or spell work style rituals as well as spiritual or meditative/trance based rituals.

Lets now look at the invocation of a prayer. Invocations in prayers are simply the calls to the Gods and spirits. This is where we identify who it is we are praying to. This is where we can use deity and spirit names as well as their associations. Here is where we basically form in our mind and in our hearts an image of the being we are praying to. This gives us a place to direct the prayer energy to and our energy to.

The second part of the prayer is the statement of intent, the purpose, and the meaning behind the prayer. This is where we basically tell the entity we are praying to why we are praying to them. Here is where we direct the energy of the prayer. In a prayer for worship this would be where we mention why we are honoring that entity in this particular fashion. In a petition prayer this is where we would be asking for what we want and what we desired. In a magical prayer this is where the spell work would be done. For gratitude this is where we would say what we are thankful to that spirit for. Basically this is what defines and decides what type of prayer this is.

The last part of the prayer is where we will close the prayer. This is where we will give our final good by or end to the prayer. In a worship setting this is where we would be blessing and consecrating the offering to the spirit in the prayer. In magical prayer this is where we finally give our outcome an affirmative this will manifest so mote it be type of fitting. In praise here you would end your list of why you praised them and thank them. Common endings are Blessed be, So Mote it be, and In Love and Light let it be so. This is what tells yourself and the spirit that the prayer is over and that the action is done.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Magical Prayers-The relationship between Prayers and spells

In many different books on witchcraft often times the reason prayers are not actively discussed as a unique magical practice is that the idea of spell casting and prayers are united. For many witches the act of casting a spell is the same thing as a prayer. The difference is that they perform actions to create the change rather than just directing the change through words said to a God or spirit. Many people when they think of prayers think of petitions or prayers where you are asking deities and spirits for something. When you take this into consideration its easy to see why some witches would associate spells and prayers as being basically the same thing.

Now prayers can be spells, but not all spells are prayers. Most of the spells in books on witchcraft that deal heavily with the Gods being invoked in the spell are spells I would consider actually magical prayers. They are prayers because when you pray you are essentially giving the energy you channel through prayer to the being that the prayer is directed to. The forces behind the prayers manifesting is mostly external meaning not coming from you while spells are from you or internally forced and focused. They are spells because they are workings where energy is raised and manipulated or directed towards a specific end.

This is the primary distinction between prayer spells and other spell work. In prayer you are giving the power to manifest the desire over to the Gods and spirits. They are the channels for the energetic forces to work. In a spell that is not a prayer its our own energetic forces that are at work. That is the difference. Spells are based on our own energetic forces primarily with the assistance of spirit forces being secondary. Prayer spells use deity and spirit forces primarily for work with our own energetic forces being secondary.

In essence with prayers you are giving the power over to the universe. You have no real control over how it manifests and works. The words of your prayer give the intent form and purpose. The beings prayed to are the ones that in the end do the work on the energetic planes to create the changes. You are not the channel for the energy, the spirits are. This is the difference here.

This is why spells that are written that call upon the aids of Gods and spirits to channel and focus the energy are to me prayers. Instead of focusing and channeling the energy yourself and directing all of the energy into the universe yourself through your spell, you are directing and channeling the energy of that spell to a specific God or spirit. The God or spirit then directs and manipulates the universal energy to create your change. They are still spells and magic as you are still manipulating and directing energy to create a change. The difference is the intervention of divine and spirit forces on your behalf.

Now that the difference between a spell prayer and a spell has been made, its important to understand how to turn a prayer into a spell or how to make a spell a prayer. As mentioned in the earlier post, all prayers contain the same essential three core components-the invocation, the consecration and workings, the offering and the closing. Magical prayers follow that same basic outline but also contain other steps.

Formula and base for crafting magical prayers

So a magical prayer is a prayer that is both said and enacted through actions. An example could be a women sewing a blanket for her young child. As she sews the women prays to the Gods that the blanket provide warmth and protection for child and that they have a peaceful nights sleep. By saying the prayer a few times over the blanket as she sews the women is both enacting a spell and praying effectively acting out a magical prayer.

This section will identify the components of magical spells and the steps involved in writing them. We will then look at each step and why its needed through the process of writing a spell prayer for a specific need as an example. This will provide an outline and a howto for magical prayers.

So here are the components and steps involved in the writing of a magical prayer:

1-The intent or need

2-Identify the spirit or beings you want to work with for this need

3-Identify which realm is best suited for the spell (Upper world, middle earth, or underworld)

4-Identify the proper magical practice and style for the spell at hand

5-Recite prayer while performing magical actions

So the first part is the intent or need behind the prayer and spell. Magical prayers are essentially petitions for a specific need. So when you are writing a magical prayer its important to have a specific desire or goal in mind. That way you can work the rest of the spell actions around that need, and can have emotional power behind the goal.

So an example of a need could be money and employment. Thats a good basic and starting line. However for the prayer to be the most effective it can be it is important to be a little more specific. So perhaps a better need would be a job that pays well enough to cover the bills and have funds to enjoy life. Now you know exactly what you need and why you need it.

The next part of knowing your intent and need is to craft a statement of intent. Here you would write something about the job you need and the bills you have to pay. So for our spell prayer the statement of intent will go:

"I ask for a job which provides for all my needs allowing me to take care of all my needs and enjoy life"

The next step would be to identify which type of being you want to work with for this spell. Not all gods or spirits are appropriate for all situations. In order for a spell or ritual to be as effective as it can and as powerful as possible it is important to ensure that the proper associations are in place. Like with your intent the more specific you are the better.

So in our example of employment and money there are many different Gods and spirits that could be worked with. You could work with beings that are associated with specific fields of employment (like healing Gods for doctors or medical fields, justice and law related spirits for police work or lawyers, etc) or you could choose to work with an animal spirit or other form of being that is associated with industry (employment) and wealth (money).

For our example we are going to work with Dwarves. Dwarves are an excellent spirit force to call on for this particular need because they are associated with industry and work (employment) but also with wealth (money). Now that we know what type of spirit we are working with its important to craft a call to them specifically.

Dwarves are associated with the element of earth and with strength. A call to them would include things that attract them. The calls to the spirit are there to create an image of the spirit, let the universe know who you are calling on, and what aspects of them you are calling on.

For our prayer our call may look something like:

"Oh Dwarves who live deep in the earth, who are masters of industry, crafting, and hard work. Who are masters of prosperity, wealth, and succsess I call upon you. May your blessing of industriousness be upon me and may your assistance bring me the wealth that I need"

The next step would be to identify which of the realms would best suit the needs of this spell first and then the order of the other realms. This is determined by the specific needs of the spell and the overall goal of the spell. This is also often determined by the spirit or God that is being worked with in the spell as they may have a specific realm or world that they are associated with.

For the example in this thread the spell is going to be directed to the underworld first and the middle world second. This is for a few reasons. One of them is that the spirits that we have chosen to call on for this work are underworld spirits. They live within the earth and are apart of the underworld for this reason. The underworld also holds valuable minerals and gems, so the riches and wealth portion of this spell would be met here. The second part would be the middle earth which is where the job will actually be the and is where our physical needs are. The last area addressed would be the heavens or upper world where we focus on success and enjoyment rather than the physical need of money and employment.

So now you have the spirits, the intent, and the realm. You can now write a better statement of intent and call to the Spirits for this spell. Our example spell will say something like:

"Hail to thee great dwavrves of the underworld. You who are the masters of wealth and industry. You who are the craftsmen of the Gods I bid thee welcome. I ask of your assistance. May you provide me with a job where I may provide for all my needs. Bring to me a job which will provide me with industry and prosperity. Let my skills bring me succsess and pleasure. Let my job fulfill my financial needs and entrainment needs so that I may be a balanced and happy person"

The last step in the preparation of this magical prayer is to decide what sort of spell action is best for this need. Some types of spells are better for different situations. Jar spells are good for spells that are going to take place and work over an extended period of time while candle spells would be better for an instant sudden type of need. Some spells like our sample spell can fit into many different actions. So its a personal choice.

For our example we will decide to work with a charm bag (gris-gris, mojo, etc depending on your tradition). The reason for this is that a charm bag is something that we can carry on us through the process of sending out and filling out applications as well as being something that we can carry with us to interviews. The next step of course would be choosing appropriate herbs and crystals to include in the bag as part of our charm for this spell.

So now that we have the type of magic we want to perform, our calls to the spirit, realms decided and overall intent its time to work the spell. This is entirely personal so I can't say how or what to do here. In our example spell the choice to use a charm bag means now that the spell is the process of crafting the bag. This is where the prayer would be actually said and the work finally done.

In the actual performance of the spell you can do this many ways. You can say the invocation to the spirits and the asking of their blessing over the items at the beginning and then have a chant you repeat that is part of the prayer through the casting of the spell (in this case the gathering of the charm items) and then the full prayer again when its completed, followed by daily reciting of the prayer over the bag to charge it and empower it. The other thing you could do is say the whole prayer over and over through out the process. The idea is that the prayer charges the charm bag in this case and gives it power.

So there you have the formula and set up of magical prayers.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Prayers for Worship and honor

The next type of prayer that I am going to discuss in this thread is the type of prayer that is used as a form of worship and or praise. This type of prayer can be used as part of a formal structured ritual or it can be simply its own ritual. Prayers are powerful ways we can connect with our deities, spirit guides, and spirit forces on a daily basis, and they can take little to no time to actually say and do yet this practice is almost always overlooked.

There are three main components to a prayer that is used in worship. Each component is a part of the ritual of saying a prayer and is why prayers being said can be rituals all of their own. Each of the components are going to be discussed and examined with a sample prayer being written as a guide.

1-The invocation to the spirit or being

2-Statement of request or purpose

3-Consecration, offering and closing

The first part is the call to the spirit. This is what identifies the being that you are praying to. This is what directs our prayer and gives it focus. Prayers can be directed to any spirit or being that we work with. You can address them to specific beings or you can address them to a general set or type of being. Ancestor prayers for example can be addressed to all of our ancestors or to a specific one or both.

For our example we are going to focus on the spirit of the land that our homes are on. So this in some cultures could also be the spirit of the hearth and home or just the land spirit. So the call could be something like this:

"Hail to thee spirit who has been here long before me. You who have always been here, you who protects the land, you who silently watches. I bid thee welcome"

The second part of the prayer is the statement of purpose or the intent. In prayers for worship and praise the statement of intent is simple. You are asking them to be there for ritual and for worship. You are praising them. This can also be a place where you invite them into your life on a daily basis.

For our example prayer the purpose is to connect with the spirit of the land, to honor them, and to ask them to be with you on a daily basis. It may seem like a lot, but its actually not really a whole lot. You are giving them attention and you are giving them a purpose and focus. By praying you are also opening yourself up to them allowing them to know you better and you know them better.

So our statement of intent in the prayer could look something like this:

"I ask that you guide me in my day to day life. That you teach me how to work with you and guide me to the mysteries. I ask that we be friends and allies. Be with me this day."

The last section of the prayer is the offering and the consecration of the prayer. This is also where you will close the prayer. This is your ending and is what makes the prayer an act of ritual working with out a full structure to the ritual. Here is where you are offering your energy and yourself to them, or giving any offerings you have.

In our sample our consecration and closing could look something like this:

"May your strength and your powers remain strong. May my prayer give you life and purpose and may your blessings be upon me this day. Spirit of the land I welcome you this day".

The final full prayer would read:

"Hail to thee spirit who has been here long before me. You who have always been here, you who protects the land, you who silently watches. I bid thee welcome. I ask that you guide me in my day to day life. That you teach me how to work with you and guide me to the mysteries. I ask that we be friends and allies. Be with me this day.May your strength and your powers remain strong. May my prayer give you life and purpose and may your blessings be upon me this day. Spirit of the land I welcome you this day"

I hope this outline of prayer as a form of worship has been useful to you. To make it really worship you can say the prayer at altars dedicated to the spirits or Gods. You can also then give them offerings of anything you feel is right. For some simply maintaining the altar and the prayer practice is both an offering and ritual at the same time. Let the spirits guide you and help you find your prayers.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Gratitude Prayers

The third type of prayer that has been mentioned is a gratitude prayer. While gratitude prayers can be a part of worship and a form of worship through the concept of thanksgiving they can also be important prayers by themselves. These prayers are prayers where we actually stop and think about what we have in our lives over what we need or want to have in our lives. These prayers are where we find in ourselves the good things in our lives. Some people might call this the act of counting your blessings as it were and they would be right.

Gratitude prayers are about what we have in our lives. This is where we thank the spirits and gods that we work with for all that they have done for us in our lives. Often times when things are difficult and when we are stressed its not easy to see the things that we have in our lives that are good for us. These are often things we take for granted like having food to eat, a place to live, good friends, a job, etc. These are the things we enjoy and have that are often right in front of us so much that we forget that we have them and that they are good for us.

By practicing gratitude we can start to see the positive things in our lives. We can see what we have in our lives that is special. For example you may be going through a really stressful time and be dealing with difficult emotions. When we find some one who can make us smile in those difficult times we are thankful for them. This is where practicing gratitude helps us see that things are not as bad as they may seem and can provide light in times of darkness.

Writing Gratitude Prayers

Gratitude prayers are probably some of the easiest prayers to write, but are often some of the least used types of prayers. Its very easy to take that which we have in our lives for granted. Gratitude prayers help us to remind ourselves that not everyone is as lucky as we are. Not everyone has food and housing. Being thankful for that which we have is a way of gaining peace rather than focusing on that which we don't have or are strangling with.

Like the other types of prayers these prayers include three parts. There is the invocation, the purpose, and the closing. Essentially the meat of this style of prayer is a list of things that we are glad to have in our lives. This can include people, objects, opportunities, and much more. The list of what we can be thankful of is endless. The only limits are what we can think of for blessings in our lives.

The steps are:

1: Addressing the spirit or God

2: Making a list of what you are thankful for that this spirit has brought to you or helped you with

3: Offering something small to them

So here is a sample prayer. This sample prayer is going to deal with being thankful for love in our lives. Love spells and rituals about working on love are some of the more common spells. This prayer ritual sample is about showing how you can be thankful for what you have in your lives so that these blessings can grow and be maintained.

So for the first step we will assume that a person worked with the Goddesses Hera and Aphrodite together for love. Hera was chosen for the spell prayer as she is a Goddess of marriage and long term romantic partnerships. Aphrodite was chosen for her associations with passion and erotic love or sex depending on your need. Together the original prayer was for a relationship that would be long term and full of passion and desire. Aphrodite addresses the passion and Hera the long term romantic partnership.

So now the invocation or call aspect of this prayer could be along the lines of:

"Great Goddesses Hera and Aphrodite I call to you this day. You who rule over relationships, love, passion and desire. I ask you to hear me now."

In that invocation you addressed by name the beings involved, and their aspects that you are relating to them for. Gods and spirits are multi-facted and have many associations and properties. This is why in all prayers it is important to address them with as many identifiers as possible.

The next step in writing the prayer would be to list what you are thankful for. Again here its important to be as specific as possible. Spirits and Gods work with us on many different levels and for many different reasons. By being specific you are identifying exactly what you are thankful for.

So here the identification would be something like:

"I thank you both Goddesses for the love of my life. The partner who loves me for who I am. Who desires to be with me and who has passion for me. Who balances me and who has been there for me in my times of need. The one who drives me wild and who I love passionately. I am lucky to have them in my life."

The final part of the prayer is the closing. In gratitude prayers its a good idea to give an offering of sorts to the Gods. This is a gesture of thanks as well as the words of thanks. The action of giving something to them is another way of showing that you appreciate them. It also is an exchange for the energy they sent out.

The closing is how you end the prayer. In a thank you prayer or a gratitude prayer its ok to ask that the blessings you are thankful for continue. That is an appropriate way to end the prayer. You can also end the prayer by asking that others be given the same blessings that you were. The idea is that you are again acknowledging that they gave you something and you want to spread those blessings around and keep them in your life.

The offering and closing could go something like this:

"Great Goddess Aprodite and Hera I give this gift of love water to you. May this water be spread upon the earth and with it may love abound. May my love continue to grow. May all those who seek love find it and may they all be in peace and happiness for the rest of their days."

You see here that the offering was created first and given to them. The offering was then blessed further by the Gods and distributed in nature. The offering of love was returned to the source so that it may be spread to others. You show your thanks to them by offering love water to the earth directing it to those in greater need than you while still maintaining your own blessing.

Together the final thanksgiving prayer ritual would look something like this:

"Great Goddesses Hera and Aphrodite I call to you this day. You who rule over relationships, love, passion and desire. I ask you to hear me now. I thank you both Goddesses for the love of my life. The partner who loves me for who I am. Who desires to be with me and who has passion for me. Who balances me and who has been there for me in my times of need. The one who drives me wild and who I love passionately. I am lucky to have them in my life."

Place offering on the altar.

Continue prayer:

"Great Goddesses Aphrodite and Hera I give this gift of love water to you. May this water be spread upon the earth and with it may love abound. May my love continue to grow. May all those who seek love find it and may they all be in peace and happiness for the rest of their days"

Go outside and spread the water over the land knowing it will go into the earth and be redistributed across the world through the water cycle.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Petition Prayers

Petition prayers are the most common type of prayer. These are prayers that are based on high emotional needs. All spell prayers are petition prayers. Not all petition prayers are spells though. Spells require action as a part of the magical process. Petition prayers have no actions associated with them aside from maybe lighting a candle pr incense if you light a candle before you pray.

In petition prayers there is no active manipulation of energy towards a goal or intent. Petition prayers are simply you asking the Gods and spirits for something specific. That is all. You don't grind herbs and create talismans or objects to carry with you. The only energy used in petition prayers is the emotion behind the prayer. Nothing else. Its simply you saying "Please I need help".

Writing a petition prayer

In all honesty the best petition prayers are made up on the spot. These are intuitive and heart felt prayers. Essentially you are letting your emotional energy guide you with your heart. The heart is the power of these prayers. This is why following a script or pattern for these styles of prayers is not always effective. In times of need and high emotions it can be distracting and more difficult to follow a script than it is to simply let the words come from the heart.

That being said its important that petition prayers include the three components of prayer. It is important when you do a petition prayer that you know who you are talking to, why you are asking them, and how you are going to end the prayer. If you speak to the Gods through your heart truly, these items can normally be found.

Prayers that are petitions in this fashion may not be remembered or used again. Often time petition prayers of this form are designed to be used once and never again. This is why speaking from the heart is so important. The words come from deep within and come from what you really need on the deepest emotional level. Its the core of the emotional issue that drives petition prayers.

Now if you want to have petition prayers that are able to be used again a formula can be used. This way you have an outline for using a prayer again and again for uses. There is power in repeated prayer use. The more we use a prayer the more energy we build in that prayer and in those words and actions. So while saying a petition prayer from the heart is preferred there is nothing wrong with using prayers written ahead of time.

The formula is the same as before, This time however I am going to leave things blank. This will provide you with blanks. You can just fill in the blank.

1: Address deity or spirit.

"Oh (insert spirit or deity name or attributes) I call upon you"

2: State need or intent

"I ask that you help me with (insert need here) so that (insert problem here) will be no more"

3: Close

"Please (insert spirit or deity name) help me with this. I ask in your name. I thank you for your time and energy."
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Communication Prayers

All prayer is essentially communication with deities and spirits. The previous types of prayers were based on saying thanks, asking for something, or praising and honoring the spirit and deity. Prayer does not have to be limited to those styles and forms. The last type of prayer that is going to be examined here is prayer as communication.

These prayers are prayers that are used to basically talk to the spirits and the Gods. These are prayers we can use to tell them about our day, what was good and what was bad. These prayers can also be used to introduce ourselves to knew Gods and spirits and to build relationships between ourselves and the God and spirit we are communicating with. Communication prayers are essentially conversations between you and the spirit that you direct to them.

Communication prayers are best used before getting into a trance or meditative state. This is because by using a communicative specific prayer you let the spirit know you are going to get into a trance to contact them and work with them. Verbalizing the prayer prior to getting into the trance or meditative state will also ensure that your mind gets prepared for the work and the travel is made easier.

Like petition prayers, communication prayers are essentially best spoken directly from the heart. There is typically a reason we want to contact and talk with our guides and spirits, even if its them having a message for us. By speaking from the heart we allow our higher spirits to really speak and say what needs to be said.

There is no formula to writing a communication prayer. Like all prayers you need to address the spirit or being clearly. Aside from naming the spirit or being that you are praying to communication prayers are essentially free form. You basically just talk to them. You can let them know whats on your mind, whats going on in your life, your dreams, and your goals. Essentially communication prayers are you talking to them like you would a friend or family member, with the appropriate amount of respect for Gods and spirits.

Return to “Pagan Prayers”