What happens to the offerings afterwards?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
azriel

What happens to the offerings afterwards?

Post by azriel »

Hello and good evening,

As I was browsing through the forum, I read various topics about the different types of offerings one could give to their deity. Many said that food was a good way to go. My question is for how long to you keep the offering and what do you do with it afterwards (do you dispose of it, etc.)? I would hate to see food go to waste so I was wondering if it would be bad to consume the offerings or would that be disrespectful?

Thank you in advance and Blessings to you all!
Azriel,
^-^~
Unfold your wings and take off into the sky
Before you're burned, become the sun
Blow, oh wind... It guides you into the sky
Before your whole self is taken away

Oasis~~~Gackt
dreadedpsychopomp

Re: What happens to the offerings afterwards?

Post by dreadedpsychopomp »

A lot of people establish with their deity that they will share, so they eat the physical and the deity eats the spiritual part. Or some put it out and give it to the land and therefore any animals that come across it and eat it. If you give it to the land, it will at least decompose and be eaten by worms, etc. Some also burn the offerings.

Aquarians are independently minded rebels.
azriel

Post by azriel »

Thank you for the reply!

I will see what feels best with my deities!

Thank you again!
Blessed Be,
Azriel
^-^~

Oasis~~~Gackt
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

I leave my offerings to a tree in the yard, it's always easily decomposable. :)
Kyrie

Post by Kyrie »

I have been wondering about this too. I would like to start leaving offerings but I don't like the idea of leaving food outside and attracting a bunch of stray animals.

Maybe some non-food offerings (any ideas?) would be okay.
Lightbringer

Post by Lightbringer »

I always thought that if you left out food as an offering, the deity or spirit ate the essence of the food and what was left had no more nutritional value...I think I got that from learning about the Dia de los Muertos altar, lol. A certain group of people (not Neopagans, I don't remember who) pour a little bit of their drink into...an empty dish? before they begin their meal, as an offering to their deity. The ancient Greeks would eat the meat and tasty parts out of the sacrificial animal, and burn the bones and fat as an offering to the Gods.

Ok, I am done rambling. Nerá, I use incense as an offering at my altar. I'm like you; I'm worried about attracting stray animals if I leave food outside.
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

For Odin, I've offered stories that I made up, which seem to amuse him. :)

Perhaps you could offer crafts that you can make in their honor to leave on your altar, something that would appeal to them. Maybe carve a permanent offering bowl with symbols that are important to that specific deity, in which you can place daily offerings, or crochet a small cloth on which offerings could be placed. I would think that something infused with your energy, creativity and appreciation of that deity would be very pleasing.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Kyrie

Post by Kyrie »

Perhaps you could offer crafts that you can make in their honor to leave on your altar, something that would appeal to them.
I think this is a great idea. Time to get crafty!
BabyBear

Post by BabyBear »

i have to say that for me offerings depend on the god, goddess, or both that im asking help from, and as for food offerings i set up a cup of tea or something ik they affiliate with such as if i was doing Aphrodite (i dont but just for simpleness sake lets say i was)
i would slice up an apple and put out some apple juice then eat the apple and let her have the juice (throw out the juice into the yard after the ritual/ meditation), or i would just take all but a slice of the apple and eat it and burn one slice for her to consume.
Other times i just set up flowers/flower petals or leaves/branches that they have an affinity for.
Or maybe a feather from a bird or fur from an animal they like.
Or as Heartsong dose with Odrin offer stories or tales maybe even a song or poem.

As for the making a craft to offer I think thats a wonderful Idea and once i get out on my own to make a whole alter to and everything i plan on doing just that lol thanks for the idea heartsong.

oh and here are some basic offering ideas for some of the gods
http://www.hellenicgods.org/offerings-t ... ellenismos
azriel

Post by azriel »

For the longest time I have been curious about food offerings, but I think I will stick to what I enjoy doing; finding things on my spur of the moment walks through the city. On my walks I will find something "special" or at least it feels that way to me, or I will see an item repeated multiple times and see it as a sign and as thanks I use it as an offering for one of my deities.

As I study more I wish to be able to ask the deities what would they like and hopefully be able to bond with them more then now.

Blessed Be,
Azriel
^-^~

Oasis~~~Gackt
Greek_Male_Witch

Post by Greek_Male_Witch »

I was curious too about what happens with the offerings but then it hit me, I just place them outside, under a tree so any animal can eat them...I also say this to my deities, that I offer you these as token of my gratitude love and loyalty toward you, so let animals eat them in your honor...and thats pretty much it...so I get to feed some animals outside and offer to my deities :)
What Goes Around,Comes Around!
DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

Offerings of a different sort can be made as well. Charities that embody your deities ideals are sacrifices that don't go unnoticed. For example, if you work with the Morrigan, you can offer support via the mail to the troops overseas or donate your time at a veterans home.

You could offer a favorite piece of jewelry or bauble, wrap it in silk and bury it or toss it in a river. The offering isn't a bribe or an obligation... it should be a token of appreciation, acknowledging the blessings bestowed. So the attitude in which it's given means more then the offering itself.
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix
JonnyRoXXX

Post by JonnyRoXXX »

First post...

A couple of the open rituals that I've gone to, I've seen numerous ways of doing it. Some dip their fingers and drip some of the liquid on the ground, some do it in the "pour some for the homies" style. I personally like pouring it into the earth because that is where it came from, and you don't have to worry about leaving open sides out for stray animals. One of my teachers did that because she liked feeding the animals.

Long story short, its all how you want to do it...
We didn't start the fire, it was always burning since the worlds been turning- Billy Joel
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

JonnyRoXXX wrote:...some do it in the "pour some for the homies" style.
Lol . I got a funny "Witches in Da' 'Hood" visual with that, a humorous "yeah, we castin' gangsta' style" moment. Thanks!
DPhoenix wrote:Offerings of a different sort can be made as well. Charities that embody your deities ideals are sacrifices that don't go unnoticed. For example, if you work with the Morrigan, you can offer support via the mail to the troops overseas or donate your time at a veterans home.
Love this idea, DPhoenix. Thanks for the inspiration.

I couldn't understand why my mom always left Buddha cooked rice and a small bowl of fruit on the altar all the time. So, I would eat the fruit sometimes (give me a break, I was 6). When I finally got in trouble, I said, "Mommy, he really doesn't care if I eat them, 'cause see, nothing happened when I did." I had been inspecting the rice and fruit for weeks, each time she left a fresh offering, looking for the tangerines peeled, or the rice to be less than the day before. But, nothing. So, I said very consolingly, like I didn't want the shock of this revelation to hurt her feelings, "Mommy, I don't think Buddha ever eats the stuff you leave for him. I've watched this altar for a long time. I check the fruit and stuff, and he never eats it, Mom," like I had done this serious scientific study, and had to break the findings to her gently.

I often wondered if Buddha was friends with Santa Claus, since they both visited the house, but no one saw them. Who knows, maybe they are buds. Yeah, "Multi-cultural, Multi-spiritual, Multi-crazy" times, haha.

DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

Kassandra wrote:I couldn't understand why my mom always left Buddha cooked rice and a small bowl of fruit on the altar all the time. So, I would eat the fruit sometimes (give me a break, I was 6). When I finally got in trouble, I said, "Mommy, he really doesn't care if I eat them because, 'cause see, nothing happened when I did." I had been inspecting the rice and fruit for weeks, each time she left a fresh offering, looking for the tangerines peeled, or the rice to be less than the day before. But, nothing. So, I said very consolingly, like I didn't want the shock of this revelation to hurt her feelings, "Mommy, I don't think Buddha ever eats the stuff you leave for him. I've watched this altar for a long time. I check the fruit and stuff, and he never eats it, Mom," like I had done this serious scientific study, and had to break the findings to her gently.

LOL that's too cute!
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”