Non-wiccan

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
MoonRaven78

Re: Non-wiccan

Post by MoonRaven78 »

I consider myself Pagan first, and I realize that to many its sort of a "catch all" kind of term, but it is what I feel fits me best. I do follow mostly Celtic traditions, so I say "Celtic Pagan" when asked which path I follow. I did get my feet wet with Wicca years ago, when I was first trying to find myself spiritually...around age 18-19 and I did practice for a few years. I still have a love for Wicca and many of its traditions and practices, but after a period of not practicing really anything due to life experiences and just feeling "disconnected", I started reading and reading and delving in to my own past and being that my ancestry is Irish, I started researching ancient Ireland and Britain, and the Celtic path just made sense to me, and it felt good to my soul... so this is what I do, this is where my heart resides.

Wicca fit well for me in those first few years when I was trying to find my place, and I think there's always going to be a part of me that has a genuine soft spot for it. But at the same time, after my seperation from spirituality...once I started to "find myself" again, Wicca just no longer fit. I felt like I had to find my own distinct path, and go with the ways/beliefs/practices that resonated deep within my soul...the old ways of my ancestors just felt right.

I hope that for those who are still seeking, that they find the path that fits best with them and that brings them peace and contentment...
kalicokitty

Post by kalicokitty »

sanoyikamama wrote:I'm non wiccan, atheist and practice witchcraft more along traditional lines, and have also had some very negative experiences with wiccans and those who claim they aren't wiccan but don't know witchcraft outside of it. I especially have had problems with wiccan elders and their high priests/priestesses. They don't seem to understand that I get that they've been practicing for 20 years, but so have I even though I may be half their age and that I do things in ways that have been passed down for generations, some hundreds of years and that there is no "right" way for doing things. Many wiccans need to learn that they are part of a religion that is less than a hundred years old and that involves witchcraft, it's NOT the soul definition of it.
Ok, I don't want to start an argument, but I don't quite understand. How can you practice witchcraft and be atheist? Most of the magic is about belief and energy. And, correct me if i'm wrong, being an atheist means you believe in science not magic. I am not trying to make you angry or make fun of you and I could be wrong. I just want to try to understand this.
"There is nothing more melodic, than the purring of a cat."
raynelae

Post by raynelae »

Witchcraft isn't religion it's a practice. Atheists can practice Witchcraft.
Peace cannot be kept by force but can only be achieved through understanding (Albert Einstein) ~coexist~
kalicokitty

Post by kalicokitty »

Ok, I just thought that atheists didn't believe in anything that aren't scientifically proven and magic is, well, not. so it was confusing. but i don't know much about atheism so, i had to ask. lol thanks! :)
"There is nothing more melodic, than the purring of a cat."
raynelae

Post by raynelae »

Some of them don't believe in anything other than science. Sort of like not all Wiccans practice Witchcraft.
Peace cannot be kept by force but can only be achieved through understanding (Albert Einstein) ~coexist~
lilmizsunshine727

Post by lilmizsunshine727 »

sanoyikamama wrote:Many wiccans need to learn that they are part of a religion that is less than a hundred years old

Actually I just wanted to make a correction to this. Wicca is the oldest religion in the world. It predates Paganism by at least 200 years and Christianity by at least 400 years. There is facts to prove this. But I agree that some Wiccans are mislead or aren't even Wiccan, just calling themselves it for a fashion title. They give all Wiccans a bad name since they obviously don't know what they're talking about. They think it's all green witches and broomsticks. Wicca is supposed to be an open minded, non-converting religion.
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none. -William Shakespeare
lilmizsunshine727

Peregrine1013 wrote:To be quite painfully honest, the majority of my encounters with Wiccans both online and in real life (pauses a moment) could have been better. I had been quasi-atheistic for a while but decided to go on a soul search once again, considering myself an agnostic and an open-minded "seeker" at the time. I felt very put off by them for various reasons. For their talk about doing no harm, I was on the receiving end of behavior that was nothing short of harassment or even hostility, depending on the individual. There was only one rare exception to that years ago, a fifteen year old girl new to the craft, but that was about it.Honest, folks, I did not start anything with them and I even had other people witnessing it who wondered what was their problem and why they would act out like that at me. This was about ten years ago so maybe a lot has changed since then. Maybe they just became Wiccan for all the wrong reasons and I happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and saw bad example. I don't know, but whatever their reasons, my encounters with them were not so good. Everyone's entitled to their religions (within reason of course as with anything) but they often treated me like an enemy at the drop of a hat. I was able to get specifics from one of them once: she found out I was Virgo and did not like Virgoes. (!?!?!?!?!)
I didn't see this one when I replied to the other one, but I agree with MoonlitOrchid that, unfortunately, you will find that in all religions. I apologize for their rudeness and hostility. Believe me- NOT all Wiccans are like that. I have also met a few of these "lovely" people. I couldn't believe someone who claimed to have the same beliefs as me could be so horrid. Wicca is such a beautiful religion to me. It's about nature and your ancestors and balancing out your life. I'm not saying it is for everyone, and I am totally okay with someone not wanting to become Wiccan. I've been practicing it for 7 years now and it brings me peace in this chaotic world. I don't believe in forcing my beliefs on ANYONE, but I don't like it when people bash my beliefs when they have no reason to or don't know what they're talking about. (Please don't think I am saying YOU are doing this- I'm kinda ranting at this point :p)
brythonicwitch

Post by brythonicwitch »

lilmizsunshine727 wrote:[
Actually I just wanted to make a correction to this. Wicca is the oldest religion in the world. It predates Paganism by at least 200 years and Christianity by at least 400 years.
Sorry, no. Wicca as a religion and practice was created by Gerald Gardner in 1951, drawing inspiration from the Witch-Cult that Gardner claimed he was initiated into by Dorothy Clutterbuck in 1939. What you are referring to is the pre-Christian pagan religion of the British Isles and Europe. It does not predate Paganism as it was paganism. However, it does predate Neo-Paganism.
lilmizsunshine727

if you say so ;)
brythonicwitch

Post by brythonicwitch »

Don't take it as a criticism, I was just pointing out what I've researched about the origins of Wicca. Shared in the spirit of perfect love and perfect trust. :)
GypsyFire

Post by GypsyFire »

I am not a Wiccan, but my introduction into the Craft was a Wiccan one. I follow a traditional witchcraft, but it's Hoodoo, and it's my family's traditional Craft (hence why the British aren't the only ones with Traditional Witchcraft, as Witchcraft comes in many different cultures/traditions...). My spirituality is Pagan. I do enjoy recognizing the esbats, but I don't really "celebrate" them, and I do enjoy recognizing the Sabbats and the Wheel of the Year, but I don't really "celebrate" those either (sometimes I'll cast circle for Samhain, and once for Midsummer, but that's been it so far...). Also, I don't believe in the Wiccan Rede, and my tradition goes by what's "justified", so for us there's no rule of 3. So though I may share some similarities with Wiccans (working with/calling the elements, utilizing crystals/stones, sometimes I cast circle, I honor the feminine divine and the masculine divine, etc.), I have just as many differences (spiritualism, working with saints, no Harm None rede, working with ancestors, etc.). I'm very eclectic :)
Aryn

Post by Aryn »

I definitely have a lot of Wiccan roots in my beliefs, but I call myself "Pagan," because so much of the Wiccan stuff seems like fluff or just plain stuffy, and I believe that religion should be neither of these things. While "Pagan" isn't exactly accurate either, it's easier than talking about all the facets that I believe ... or don't believe.

As for witchcraft, witchcraft isn't Wiccan or Pagan, anyone can practice witchcraft - and I think we all do, even if we don't necessarily realize it (but that's a whole different animal).
Some days it's better just to head for the hills and dance in the rain.

Namaste
Truthseeker

Post by Truthseeker »

Its funny- I am not traditional wiccan nor am I anywhere NEAR traditional christian but I come under the 'classification' of "christian witch".I really cringe at the association with what passes for christianity and really seek to dis-associate myself from the whole idea. I AM Pagan at the heart and core of me and I am definitely ecclectic. Not much traditional anything but definitely witch and Pagan and a follower of the teachings and life of Jesus. So what's in a label?
Blessings~ Stonewitch
Zili

Post by Zili »

Melinda you're faith is what we call eclectic, I'm the same way but I practice mostly shamanism.
Tornadofire-Sylva

Post by Tornadofire-Sylva »

I have always loved Wicca because basically, I'm a pacifist, and I don't want anyone to ever have to fear me or worry. I cant stand having the power to harm people, frankly, it makes me uncomfortable. I prefer to have stricter religious guidelines, along with the rede to guide me. I like healing, and practicing only white healing magic, meditating in forests, crafting wands out of sweet gum, and growing herbs. Being connected to the earth is how I am who i am.
“If you’re going through hell, keep going.” -Winston Churchill

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”