Non-Wiccan Altars/Holidays

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Victoria Mnemosyne

Non-Wiccan Altars/Holidays

Post by Victoria Mnemosyne »

There are a lot of traditions out there. I am familiar with the traditional Wiccan altar, and the traditional Wiccan wheel of the year. As an eclectic witch, I would like to modify the altar design and the holidays for things that more closely fit my own beliefs.
Has anyone done the same? (This applies to anyone who deviates from the traditional wiccan altar/holidays, even if you consider yourself a form of wiccan. I over simplified for the sake of naming the Topic) If you have, what changes/substitutions did you make and what are the reasons behind them?
Tylluan

Re: Non-Wiccan Altars/Holidays

Post by Tylluan »

Hiya, I have an altar for all kinds of things throughout the year.

My main one I have one for 'home'. I have a lovely ceramic teelight house, and I have photos of my family in frames around it. In the middle I have a little bowl of silver coin shapes but on each one it is stamped with a word they say: hope, love, luck, health, and calm. Its very simple and the whole thing gets pulled together when I light the white teelight candle. The big difference with my altars is that I don't have a god/goddess represented but I reflect the elements.

For Winter I have a bowl of pine cones, red candles for love and warmth, a bunch of mistletoe and two stag ornaments - again there is alot of symbology within a few simple items. I let the mistletoe dry out and I hang it above my front door all year as it is mavellous protection.

In the summer holidays I have a selection of Seashells, mermaids and a little boat.

Not sure if this is what you mean't but its what I do. I rarely have an altar dedicated to a Wiccan holiday, I focus more on the season and celebrate the holiday through cooking or gardening etc.
My soul is awakened, my spirit is soaring. And carried aloft on the wings of the breeze. For above and around me the wild wind is roaring. Arousing to rapture the earth and the seas.
Victoria Mnemosyne

Post by Victoria Mnemosyne »

That sounds lovely Cora.
I'm trying to incorporate the greek gods and some religious practices or beliefs into my altar. I'd also like to have a small area dedicated to my ancestors, as spiritually they are very important to me. I'm just not sure how to go about this =/
Melindrose

Post by Melindrose »

When I get to setting mine up, I will have two dragon statues that I own one of wood the other which is smaller of jade. There will be a section to honor my ancestors, and a few gemstones with a crystal orb, incense burner, candle stick, and salt dish. I also have some nice tin/pewter goblets which one of will also have a spot on the alter.
Ula

Post by Ula »

I don't set my alter up in the wiccan way either. I have different candle configuration, elemental directions, my drinking horn, runes, and items representing where I live like a rock from the local Adena burial mound and coal from a local mine. I change my cloth to suit what I feel or the seasons. Whatever feels right you can do. It's your space.
Zili

Post by Zili »

since i'm not wiccan my altar isnt set up in the traditional wiccan way either.

I haven't been able to set it up since the move because its right in throwing range of the baby's pacifier XD lol
I have a few candles I have a bell that was actually kind of a joke between a high school friend and me (i spent most of my 4 years of high school on crutches due to weak ankles being sprained. the bell was so I could ring it from the couch so one of my family members could help me) I also have a large piece of ivory lace that will be a part of my wedding dress eventually that is being used as the altar cloth for now. I have a crystal ball (i still need to make a stand for it) that's the same size as a small bouncy ball. and various items that represent important things to me. like a tiny native american figurine of a girl holding a dream catcher, she stands on a leather circle that says "April friend of the feather" for my birth month.
)O( Krystal Raven )O(

Post by )O( Krystal Raven )O( »

My altar building began at an early age. I like to use crystals, shells, feathers, herbs, mirrors, small idols, trinkets and candles to set up wherever I happen to be. I celebrate many traditions and worship deities from around the world. If my priestess services are required at a moments notice, I can pack the appropriate altar like a first aid kit.
)O( May the Cosmica known unto us by millions of names bless you with the ecstasy of Her Bliss. Namaste. )O(
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Old topic

I have curious cats so my altar goes up a wall with framed deity prints, a wall-shelf holding a statue, & elemental symbols. Emblems of my totem, the Moon, Herne & pentacle dangle on tiny hooks under the shelf. There’s a bookshelf for storing supplies & a tray with crystals or whatever I’m working on & cauldron. Maybe the various levels represent inter dimensional planes. I use the standard cardinal direction Wiccan associations because they’re what I’d started with. Now-a-days I sit outside in a lawn chair to moon gaze at full moons, watch sun rise/set at solstices, & share popcorn with the back yard critters at Beltane, Lammas and Samhain . There’s usually heaps of snow in Feb. So simplify-simplify-simplify.
RavenClaw

Post by RavenClaw »

I'm an Ovate/Druid and here goes.

The first altar I made was for my spirits (various jinn, dragons, elves, etc.) The altar has a black mirror, a bunch of crystals, an unlit candle and an offering bowl. So far it is permanent but can be moved as the altar is a tv tray table which can be folded. The spirits were quick to claim everything including the little table.

I have a 5 foot long table which is for spiritual and craft work so I change it according to what I want to do. Right now it's a mess of paper and craft supplies with a table fountain in a corner. I have used a part of the table for spell casting.

The last altar I made is on top of a chest of drawers. It's permanent for a Deity but shares space with other items unrelated to the Deity so the overall effect looks like a display.
Knowledge without understanding is not wisdom. (An excerpt from a message I channeled from a Deity.)

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”