wiccans who practice in circles/covens...

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Lorena

wiccans who practice in circles/covens...

Post by Lorena »

two of my friends and I are forming a circle of sorts.
For any of you Wiccans out there who practice in circles, any tips/advice?
This may be the wrong section to ask buuut I already started this and my poor iPod touch is more limited than it seems.
thanks (:
Ravencry

Re: wiccans who practice in circles/covens...

Post by Ravencry »

I suggest not setting someone as a leader, if all of you aren't experienced.
Asch

Post by Asch »

There are a few books with suggestions but they tend to be quite strict, I would guess the best option for such a small group would be to focus on your development as individuals and a group, add whatever traditions and rituals you see fit as you go along but try not to be too rigid and avoid a hierarchy, especially as there are so few of you :) Good luck!
This is what I am, here is where I remove my mask.
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

I would like to add that if you are all new, not only will you want to do the above suggestions but also work solitary as well. Group work can be very rewarding and the friends and relationships you can build are great but having a solitary practice can be beneficial for the growth process. Just my thoughts.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

I agree with Asch and Reikihealer83.
Lorena

Post by Lorena »

Thank you guys. Ravencry you seem to have this wonderful habit of giving me really good advice so I'm going to trust you on the leader thing.
Would you all suggest us trying to find books directed at groups, or is it irrelevant?
Asch

Post by Asch »

The books couldn't hurt but take them with a grain of salt, not all advice is good advice and even good advice may not work for your group dynamic.
This is what I am, here is where I remove my mask.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Bucklands Complete Guide of Witchcraft is very group-oriented, and if you want, you can change up the rituals to your liking :D
miachrhys

Post by miachrhys »

I would suggest sitting down with the members of the group and deciding what the focus of the group will be.
Do you want a study group or do you want to hold rituals together and cast spells? Do you want to pick a patron God or Goddess (or both) to represent the group?
It is critical that everyone in the group have an equal voice. If you have a small amount of members it may not be a good idea to designate one person to be a leader, but it might be okay depending on the type of people you have.

As previously mentioned there are some books on the subject. Covencraft by Amber K. is a good example, but do not feel that you must follow everything in the book to have an "official" group.
roseonfire

Post by roseonfire »

I would suggest that you also think about what strengths each of you has in the Craft as well. One of the biggest benefits of working in a coven is that EACH member of the group will have their own abilities (herbology, healer, divination, musician such as a tribal drummer for beats for dances, which increase magickal power, ect.) And this DOES NOT mean that that should be the ONLY person in the group with one of those skills, SHARE your knowledge and wisdom with each other, just those would be the people in your group with interest (and hopefully talent) for each of these positions.

Also, in regards to magick, let each of you discuss any spells any of you are considering (sometimes outside input can shed a light you had not thought of yet). And also, meditate together often. This will bring you all more in line with each other on a spiritual level and thus make it much easier to channel your energies together in the efforts of magick, as you will see. And it will also bring you all closer to each other as well. Let me tell you, regular meditation with other people REALLY brings you all up to a mental and empathic link, which will lead you all to feel as if the other members in your group are truly you kin, which in truth they ARE. We all come from the same source and return to it as well. And this goes for all life, not just those of same race. In truth, the plants, animals, wind, lakes, EVERYTHING all comes from the same source and so is our kin.

Beyond that, my best wishes to you all. May the Goddess light your path and Blessed Be!
The Goddess is like the moon itself, guiding us in our darkest moments.
Robert L

Post by Robert L »

Ravencry wrote:Bucklands Complete Guide of Witchcraft is very group-oriented, and if you want, you can change up the rituals to your liking :D
I'd also throw in Cunningham's stuff also to balance it out.
Going to be offline from 1 Feb to 1 March. (playing Army in LA)
See you all when I get back. :)
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Cunningham is excellent for everyone, coven or solitary :D

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”